Kenya: Amboseli vs Samburu ?

Old November 23rd, 2004, 06:38 PM
Liz

In message
Hans-Georg Michna wrote:

Liz,

couldn't reach you by mail. Please see my message near the end
of this one.

Hahahaha - not contactable at .co.uk.
ISP from Hell!
I haven't been able to get mail in to there for months.
(Suits me, I was getting over 2000 spams a day at one time.)
So I use that addy to post to Usenet.
(Sorry)
While trying (so far unsuccessfully) to get the isptag changed to my new
ISP.

There seems to be an endless loop when one gets to the birds of
prey. Clicking on MORE gets me to birds, clicking on MORE again
gets me back to birds of prey and so on, endlessly. Perhaps one
of these links doesn't point in the right direction.

I think that's a 'feature' (sort-of).
I'd envisioned a birder somehow landing on one or other of the pages and
maybe would be interested in the other. That of course does give a dead end
'loop'.

If you start at the beginning and click through all the "more's" (you *must*
be on braodband!), avoiding the side-tracks, these two pages are the 'end of
the line'.
You're right, though, I should think of a different way to label these two
pages so's not to frustrate visitors.

Which is a pity, because I'd like to see even more of your
photos. (:-)

Sooky git!!!
(I know, I know, you were being tactful.

[OT]
Don't know when I'll get any more Kenya stuff up.
I've been trying to put together some more Galapagos stuff recently, but
I've got into a problem of not being able to make pics look OK on each of my
two systems, so nothing has gone 'up' for a while.
Before now, I just did the pics here and too bad for everyone else ('here'
is 800x600 16 bit and a different gamma and screen res than Windows has.
I've got a hi-res monitor on the pc, which seems to leave pix looking
'over-sharpened' here.)

Once I get that sorted out, I might scan more of my Kenya slides and put
them up, or re-scan some of the ones that look 'weird' on Windows. (Some of
them I haven't rescanned since I originally did them on a cheap flatbed
adaptor before I had a film scanner.)

Don't hold your breath: D. keeps reminding me I'm way behind on his site too.

Maybe I'll get back to Kenya one day and have more of an incentive. :-/

Slainte

Liz
--
Virtual Liz now at http://www.v-liz.com
Kenya; Tanzania; Namibia; India; Seychelles; Galapagos
Old November 23rd, 2004, 06:44 PM
Rita Daggett

(delete nospam for reply)
"Dana" wrote in message
om...
Hi.
Has anyone been to Amboseli and Samburu and share any comments?

I'd agree with what everyone else has said, but also consider where you are
starting from and how long you are going to stay at where you decide! If
you are starting/finishing in Mombasa then Amboseli is much closer. Its a
shorter drive to Amboseli from Nairobi and on 'better' roads (at least , it
used to be, but I havent been to Kenya for quite a while, and Amboseli more
recently than Samburu).
So for example, if I was starting in Mombasa and only camping for three
nights, I'd definitely choose Amboseli!
--
Rita Daggett

Old November 27th, 2004, 11:47 AM
Liz

In message
Hans-Georg Michna wrote:

How would I solve that? Ideally you could make it an endless
loop by pointing to the first page from the last, and you could
also provide a link to go back to the previous page. Us
programmers call this a double-linked list. (:-)

I actually have a link on both of the bird pages to the first page (labelled
'info'). I can see the problem is the 'more' label, and am thinking about it
as I write. First I had to see if I could find a blank button to write on,
but I have.

Keep going! I'm planning to go to Kenya again in May, hoping
that it won't be too wet in Maasai Mara at the end of May. Have
you ever been to Lewa or any other places in the area, like
north of Swee****ers? There are some ranches there that have
wildlife. I think I'm getting ready to devoting some time to
finding African hunting dogs. As you can see, I'm aiming for the
difficult ones now.

I've been to Lewa very briefly (for lunch - it's really out of my budget!)
and have heard about the ranches in that area but haven't visited. The ones
I know about all seem pretty expensive.

I didn't know there were hunting dogs in that area. The last I heard, they
were almost totally extirpated from Kenya, but I'm sure if any wandered into
a reserve or private game ranch, they'd be made more than welcome because of
visitor interest. But your info is usually more up-to-date.

I've only seen them in Selous, which is the most regular place in EA to see
them, but even there, sightings aren't guaranteed. There was also great
excitement on that trip because four hunting dogs had been seen in Tarangire
only a week or two before we visited. That was back in '98.

Failing that, there's now a pack in Edinburgh Zoo :-/

Slainte

Liz

Old November 27th, 2004, 07:05 PM
Pat Anderson

In message , Liz
writes
In message
Hans-Georg Michna wrote:

[...]

Hans Georg and Liz,
I haven`t been to Lewa but I met Jane Craig at Hemingways once. We had
a chat and she said to go up there sometime. Like you, it would be a
bit too expensive for us.
Hunting dogs: I`ve been thinking about Tony Fitzjohn, ex Kora but now
at Mkomazi in Tanzania. He has some African hunting dogs there. If you
put Mkomazi into google.com you can check it out. Also, there have
been some programmes on wild dogs in Ethiopia on BBC, are they the same
as hunting dogs?
Pat
--
Pat Anderson

Old November 29th, 2004, 12:36 PM
Hans-Georg Michna

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 10:47:29 GMT, Liz wrote:

I didn't know there were hunting dogs in that area. The last I heard, they
were almost totally extirpated from Kenya

Liz,

a rough estimate for the number of wild dogs in the Laikipia,
Isiolo, and Samburu areas is 150 and apparently growing,
including one pack near Churo that turned up only a few years
ago.

But they're a sensitive species. A disease can easily wipe out
half the population in a short time. Domestic dogs spread such
diseases. It's happened before.

Some of them wear radio collars. There is a research project,
but not yet any tourism directed at them.

I don't know much about the area along the Tanzanian border
around Magadi, down to Namanga, but wild dogs have been seen
there too.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.