Tours to Egypt

Old March 13th, 2004, 02:52 PM
Rick Leavitt

Default Tours to Egypt

I am planning a trip to Egypt, and am seeking some advice. I will be
accompanying my 35 year-old autistic sister. She has been very
interested in Egypt for years and has diligently saved her money for
this trip. It will be my pleasure to accompany her on this
once-in-a-lifetime trip. Since predictability and lack of surprise
should be an important component of this trip, I believe we should do
this in a tour (maybe 7 days). She wants to see the standard sites...
nothing unusual. I have traveled some, and would never use a tour
myself, so I am somewhat ignorant about the many tour companies
available.

Does anyone have any suggestions? As I mentioned I think reliability
is the most important criterion. She is pretty capable so probably
does not need a tour for the handicapped, although that is always an
option. We would be traveling from the East Coast US. Thanks for your
help.
.... Rick
Old March 14th, 2004, 10:00 AM
Furr

Hi
We just came home from Egypt, and had a great time there. I just want
to recommend you to choose some travel agent from your country. We
chose an egyptian one (PROFESSOR TRAVEL EGYPT), and the owner treated
us like ****. He changed our program, took the money and disappeared.

Egypt is an african country, you should remember this. Things won't be
exactly as in the program you will receive. Therefore you must change
your mind before you go. We had sleeping train tickets to Luxor and
from Aswan, and couldn't use them because of some problem in our way.
We couldn't ask for our money because that asshole ran away with the
money. If you have to change your plans because of major domestic
problems, make sure you can talk to someone when you get home, that is,
make sure you paid for your travel at your own country.
Once there, local transportation is fine, so your sister will have no
problem to go along with you.
Enjoy your trip.
Furr

--
Furr
Furr's Profile: 264

Old March 15th, 2004, 01:49 PM
Rick Leavitt

Thanks for the info... This confirms what I was thinking. Probably a
"name-brand" US tour company is the most reliable way to go. I am
still hoping to get recommendations on US tour companies, if anyone
has any thoughts.
Thanks, Rick

Old March 15th, 2004, 05:44 PM
mickj

Originally posted by Rick Leavitt
[...]

Hello there,

My advice will be to organize the trip
yourself. Book all the hotels and flights on the internet, and since you
are going with her, you will be there for assistance.

The thing with
tours is that, you can't seem to do things when you want to do it, its
always at somebody else's time. In this day and age, you can just book
everything yourself online, and plan your own trip. Since the birth of
the internet in 1990, i have been booking all my flights and hotels
online.

Good luck

Old March 15th, 2004, 05:54 PM
jandjuk

[...]

Hi we just returned from a trip to Egypt. We generally don't
like using travel companies, as we hate being shunted along in a big
group with lots of other people. Not our idea of fun...But because we
only had a limited amount of time to spend in Egypt we decided to go
with a tailor made tour. We chose a travel company that could make a
tour to fit where we wanted to go. All of our accomodation, train
tickets and drivers were pre-booked, and for the most part everything
ran smoothly. The best thing about it though was that it was just
us...no noisy groups to put up with - we could choose how long we stayed
at a spot or if we wanted to miss something completely if we were tired!

We found the organisation really good, and were able to make the most
of the time there because we had pre-organised everything. But in
saying that there is always bound to be one or two surprises in a
country like Egypt - where someone turns up a bit late or your transfer
isn't arranged properly or something like that! But hopefully only
minor so they can be dealt with on the day...

Sorry I can't advise on
good US based companies as we took ours from the UK (Silk Road Tours).
But if you ask around different reputable companies you will soon get a
feel for who does tailor made holidays.

Something to consider anyway.
We did about 7 days through the main sites in Rgypt and found it was
enough time, although a day or two more would have made it a bit more
relaxed perhaps.

Good luck planning your holiday!

Mrs J and JUK

Old March 16th, 2004, 02:54 AM
Rick Leavitt

like using travel companies, as we hate being shunted along in a big
group with lots of other people. Not our idea of fun...But because we
only had a limited amount of time to spend in Egypt we decided to go
with a tailor made tour.

Thanks for the replies. I, myself, do not like tours, but am willing
to put up with minor mishaps. For my sister's trip, I want things to
go as smoothly as possible (given the destination). The tailor-made
tour sounds like the right balance. Does anyone know of US based
companies that do this?

Thanks, Rick
Old March 25th, 2004, 09:22 AM
Mike O'Brien

Rick Leavitt wrote:

Thanks for the replies. I, myself, do not like tours, but am willing
to put up with minor mishaps. For my sister's trip, I want things to
go as smoothly as possible (given the destination). The tailor-made
tour sounds like the right balance. Does anyone know of US based
companies that do this?

Thanks, Rick

Yes. Grand Circle Travel and Overseas Adventure Travel
have tours of Egypt which meet your criteria. They're U.S.-based
(Cambridge and Boston, Mass.) and they're of very high quality,
employing their own office in Cairo to handle local arrangements.
They actually managed to pull off my tour of Egypt with no (zero)
surprises whatsoever, which must be unheard-of.

They're expensive, though. That's what you're paying for:
quality and lack of (unpleasant) surprises.

They're the same company, or at least owned by the same
company. Grand Circle Travel caters to elderly tourists, though
not exclusively: not a lot of strenuous walking. Overseas Adventure
Travel is for more active travelers.