Staying in Soweto

Old February 2nd, 2005, 05:51 PM
Liz

In message
"M. Sahlen" wrote:

[snip]
Usually his tour ends at a shebeen - the traditional drinking place -
for a glass or two of the home-brewed beer. He can also arrange
with an over-night stay with a local family, if that is what
you want.

Interesting.
I have *no* experience of Soweto, but every account I've ever read of
overnighting in Soweto seemed to end up in a shebeen. I'm sure that lots of
people like to do this, but I didn't think it would be great for the OP and
her young son - and I haven't read of any alternative being offered, though
there presumably will be some alternatives for spending the evening - maybe
specifically arrange to spend the evening with a family with young children?

Liz
--
Virtual Liz now at http://www.v-liz.com
Kenya; Tanzania; Namibia; India; Seychelles; Galapagos
Old February 2nd, 2005, 06:50 PM
sportsfan

wrote in message
oups.com...
Richard and Mark
Thankyou for your interest in my enquiry and your helpful thoughts.
Having read guide books, the Jo'burg official website and seen the
number of guest houses in Soweto I was under the impression that it was
(relatively) safe to stay within the Vilikazi Street area and that
tourists were indeed being encouraged to visit and stay in the area. We
didn't really want to gawp from a moving bus but be there and spend our
money there rather than with a tour company. I certainly have no desire
to dive into anywhere dangerous or to put my son in danger, but as
Soweto is such an important piece of modern history we felt we couldn't
visit your country without showing him. We certainly didn't intend to
go out after dark with him. I think in the light of your replies we may
indeed finish up on a tour bus but hopefully one that encourages people
to 'Get off the bus'
Cows being slaughtered isn't a pretty sight, but if you visit
different cultures...... and I speak as a vegan!
Wherever we go, we're really looking forward to visiting your country.

The tours do indeed get people of the buses, a lot of them stop for
a drink / snack in a *real* shabeen and stop for an early dinner in
a rather well known restaurant. You visit all the modern historical
sites, and according to my ex they give you a very good commentary.
Although my ex was a *Cape Malay* she only went into Soweto
on an organised tour. You will enjoy it. Should you want to do
anything alone in a township take a local body guard At US$40-00
a day they are worth it and they can also show you places of
interest. If you need one let me know and I can give you a
couple of phone numbers.
Enjoy your trip
Richard

Old February 2nd, 2005, 07:02 PM
gwendolen

M. Sahlen schreef:
Caroline,

Touring Soweto doesn't necessarily mean staring out of the
windows of a luxury coach without ever interacting with
the locals.

For example, there's this guy called Max that runs Max's
Maximum Tours.

[Snip]

http://www.backpackafrica.com/accomm.../maxmaxim.html

I've read great things about Max's tours on Dutch fora(forums?) as well.
Definitly something to look into.
--
gwendolen

Old February 2nd, 2005, 08:19 PM

Hey! Thanks folks! Had a look at the link, but the dates are all 2002
which makes me wonder if he's still in business.
I think fora, but it looks wrong.

Old February 2nd, 2005, 08:57 PM
gwendolen

schreef:
Hey! Thanks folks! Had a look at the link, but the dates are all 2002
which makes me wonder if he's still in business.
I think fora, but it looks wrong.

http://www.joburg.org.za/travel/june...weto_tours.stm

Try this website. Max's tour is on it too: Maximum Tours, but as you can
see, there are many more.

--
gwendolen