Planned Safari in Kenya

Old February 16th, 2005, 04:49 PM
Frederic Salein

Default Planned Safari in Kenya

Hi all,

my wife and i plan to have a new safari in Kenya this year during
August.

We had already a safari in Kenya a few years ago.

Here is our planned course :

3 days in Baringo and Bogoria Lakes (Roberts Camp and Island Lodge)
4 days in Samburu / Shaba / Buffalo Springs N.P (Intrepids Camp and
Camp site)
3 days in Meru N.P (Camp site)

We already know Samburu National Park where we had a wonderful time.
It is why we want to go there again.

Thank you for your comments, informations or advice if you have
already visited this areas (especially for Meru and Shaba).

Best regards.
Old February 16th, 2005, 05:31 PM
Liz

In message
(Frederic Salein) wrote:

Hi all,

my wife and i plan to have a new safari in Kenya this year during
August.

We had already a safari in Kenya a few years ago.

Here is our planned course :

3 days in Baringo and Bogoria Lakes (Roberts Camp and Island Lodge)
4 days in Samburu / Shaba / Buffalo Springs N.P (Intrepids Camp and
Camp site)
3 days in Meru N.P (Camp site)

We already know Samburu National Park where we had a wonderful time.
It is why we want to go there again.

Thank you for your comments, informations or advice if you have
already visited this areas (especially for Meru and Shaba).

Sounds like an interesting trip.
Shaba was much drier than Samburu/Buffalo Springs when we were there, and
there were not so many animals, but it is arguably more scenic and has some
birds which you don't (usually?) get in the other two reserves.

Baringo Island Camp is very nice - and you get an especially nice 'sunrise
over the lake' experience there, but if you're interested in birds, you'll
do better (i.e. get a better 'list', if that matters) at the Club - at the
camp they take you over on a boat to look for birds on the shore of the Lodge
grounds. However, the Club isn't so romantic!

It's worth going out on at least one bird walk with the Camp naturalist, and
go out on the boat at least once (he'll 'whistle in' Fish Eagles for scraps
of fish).

(All of which reminds me, I must get a Baringo pix page added to my site.
I've just got a bird list at the moment.
http://www.v-liz.com/safari/baring.htm )

At the lodge, try go do at least two bird walks, one around the shore, one
at the base of the Ridge, and a boat trip (when were were there, the
naturalists didn't do the whistling 'thing' but that was a while ago. For a
long time, the World Record for Bird Species seen in 24 hours was held out
of Lake Baringo Club (AFAIK, the Record currently stands with Peru, but
that may have been superceded)

Expect the Baringo area to be *very* hot and be aware that serious squalls
often occur on the Lake itslef.

I'll be interested to hear how you liked Meru when you get back! Friends who
went years ago (just before it was effectively closed to visitors) said it
was very scenic.

Safari njema

Liz

--
Virtual Liz now at http://www.v-liz.com
Kenya; Tanzania; Namibia; India; Seychelles; Galapagos
Old February 17th, 2005, 01:01 PM
Frederic Salein

Dear Liz,

thank you for your message. Your advice will be very useful for us.

My wife and i are not really bird list champions. We are found of
mammals and birds watching (especially birds of prey) but the number
of species is not our first goal.

So thank you very much for your advice for Baringo Lake. We have
effectively chosen Island Camp for the romantic touch of this area ...

I went also to see your lovely web site. And I hope someday, i will
take time to do the same with all the stuff i have upon the safaris i
made in Cameroon, Kenya, Tanzania and Botswana (last year).

I read some of your bird lists and i saw that you watched Verreaux
Eagle in Baringo Lake area. We have never seen them. Is it easy to
watch some of them in this place ? May be in the ridge ?

About Meru, it is in fact one of the deepest wishes that push us to
make this safari (the other was to go back to Samburu). The travel
agency which organises this trip told us that it is the good time to
go there. It is now a safe place, KWS has done a great job for this
park and there are not many visitors nowadays there. So i will tell
you as we come back ! Promised !

We wanted also to go the Lewa Downs (private reserve) but our agency
said the price was too huge for our budget ...

Thank you for all

Best regards.

Frederic

Your previous message

Old February 17th, 2005, 04:38 PM
Hans-Georg Michna

On 16 Feb 2005 08:49:50 -0800, (Frederic
Salein) wrote:

my wife and i plan to have a new safari in Kenya this year during
August.

We had already a safari in Kenya a few years ago.

Here is our planned course :

3 days in Baringo and Bogoria Lakes (Roberts Camp and Island Lodge)
4 days in Samburu / Shaba / Buffalo Springs N.P (Intrepids Camp and
Camp site)
3 days in Meru N.P (Camp site)

We already know Samburu National Park where we had a wonderful time.
It is why we want to go there again.

Frederic,

to be honest, for a second time visit I would go neither to
Shaba nor to Meru, unless you have a really good reason to go
there. I know both of these places and go there from time to
time.

In your situation I'd go only to the places with a high wildlife
density, i.e. Lake Nakuru, Samburu, Amboseli, and, first and
foremost, Masai Mara. You could add one night in a mountain
forest lodge, where I would recommend The Ark.

Lake Naivasha and Baringo don't quite cut it, unless you have
special interests. Lake Bogoria is a bit better, but altogether
I would stick to picking the biggest raisins from the cake when
I'd visit Kenya only for the second time.

The question is really whether you have any special, good reason
to go to those other places.

By the way, the first point to visit that comes to mind outside
the wildlife places is Lamu. If you have the time and the money,
let yourself be flown to Lamu for one night, for two at the very
most.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.

Old February 19th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Liz

In message
Liz wrote:

Expect the Baringo area to be *very* hot

My best hint for dealing with the heat is to keep soaking your hat with cold
water, or even wear a wet t-shirt (don't even think it!), so long as you're
wearing a waterproof sunscreen.

Slainte

Liz
Old March 1st, 2005, 09:54 AM
Frederic Salein

Dear Hans-Georg,

thank you very for your message.

In fact my wife and i have a few good reasons to choose these places
for our second trip in Kenya.

First of all, your proposal as a second trip is not very far from what
we have done for our first trip three years ago : Samburu, Mont Kenya
Montain Lodge, Nakuru, Navaisha and Masai Mara. We had a wondeful time
everywhere and we wanted to go back there chosing other places and a
other way to do it (this time, we will be just the two of us, a guide,
a cooker, a vehicle and camp).

We really enjoyed Samburu, it is mostly why we want to go back there.
As a photographer, i admired the lanscapes, the mammal species we have
seen and the light which was really beautiful.
Since this first safari, we met two french professional wildlife
photographers who made a beautiful book about some of the places we
plan to go : Samburu, Shaba, Buffalo Springs, Meru, Lewa Downs. Theire
passion for these areas where they contniue to spend much time
convinced us to go there. More over our travel angecy said that it is
a good time to go to Meru National Park now because of the increasing
interest of this area and also because it is not already crowded.

For Baringo and Borgoria Lake, our special interest is for birds
because we are found of bird watching.

In fact, wildlife density is great but it is not what we are looking
for as an highest priority.

We really made a choice for this second safari in Kenya which will not
be the last one. I think we should go back several times may be for
instance for a special Masai Mara safari or for visiting Amoseli an
may be Tsavo (where some of our friends spent pretty good time).

Thank you for all.

Best regards

Frederic