Internal South African flights

Old April 29th, 2004, 06:47 PM
Ann B.

Default Internal South African flights

I'm wondering if it is cheaper to purchase airline tickets for trips
within South Africa before leaving the US, or wait until there to buy
the tickets?

I'm considering 2 flights: Capetown to Durban, then Durban to Joburg.
Fares on the US site of SAA seem high, while on the SA site of SAA
seem quite reasonable, but can't be purchased on line without a
SA-issued credit card. Does this mean that those good fares wouldn't
be available to me (a US citizen) once in SA?

Thanks for the advice!

Cheers,
Ann

To email: replace 'REMOVE' with 'b' in email address.
Old April 29th, 2004, 09:23 PM
Jim Ley

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 17:47:53 GMT, Ann B.
wrote:

I'm wondering if it is cheaper to purchase airline tickets for trips
within South Africa before leaving the US, or wait until there to buy
the tickets?

I'm considering 2 flights: Capetown to Durban, then Durban to Joburg.
Fares on the US site of SAA seem high, while on the SA site of SAA
seem quite reasonable, but can't be purchased on line without a
SA-issued credit card. Does this mean that those good fares wouldn't
be available to me (a US citizen) once in SA?

I bought internal flights happily from a travel agent within SA when I
was there, there's probably a good chance a local TA would be able to
help you out before you arrived too.

Jim.
Old April 29th, 2004, 09:48 PM
Lars Onsager Stordal

"Jim Ley" skrev i melding
wrote:

I'm wondering if it is cheaper to purchase airline tickets for trips
within South Africa before leaving the US, or wait until there to buy
the tickets?

I'm considering 2 flights: Capetown to Durban, then Durban to Joburg.
Fares on the US site of SAA seem high, while on the SA site of SAA
seem quite reasonable, but can't be purchased on line without a
SA-issued credit card. Does this mean that those good fares wouldn't
be available to me (a US citizen) once in SA?

I bought internal flights happily from a travel agent within SA when I
was there, there's probably a good chance a local TA would be able to
help you out before you arrived too.

Jim.

Check with kulula.com. They are an south african no-frills airline and offer
fares that compare even with busses and trains on the same routes. As far as
I know they are non-ticket and you can only make bookings through their
website.

Lars

Old April 30th, 2004, 01:07 PM
Ann B.

"Jim Ley" skrev i melding
wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Lars. This is very promising! I hope their fligts & service
are as good as the website. Do they fly in/out of convenient
airports, or somewhere very far from the cities?

Old April 30th, 2004, 02:58 PM
Lars Onsager Stordal

"Ann B." skrev i melding
On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 22:48:20 +0200, "Lars Onsager Stordal"

"Jim Ley" skrev i melding
wrote:

[...]

Hi Ann,
Actually I don't know about this one, but I believe they use the bigger
airports just like SAA and the others. Haven't used them myself yet, but we
probably will when we go there later this year.
Happy travelling!
Lars

Old April 30th, 2004, 03:42 PM
Dave Patterson

Kulula is a no-frills airline operated by Comair,
which also operates all the British Airways flights
in southern Africa. Very reliable, and recently
getting newer aircraft (MD-80's). They do fly
from/to the major airports.

Their car rental program is the least expensive
one I know of, but available only to their
passengers.

Old May 2nd, 2004, 04:44 PM
Richard Bonnage

"Dave Patterson" wrote in message
Kulula is a no-frills airline operated by Comair,
which also operates all the British Airways flights
in southern Africa. Very reliable, and recently
getting newer aircraft (MD-80's). They do fly
from/to the major airports.

Their car rental program is the least expensive
one I know of, but available only to their
passengers.

Kulula and "One Time" the latest discount carrier
only fly to Capetown Durban and Jo'burg. Kulula also
fly to PE. On normal flights SAA it is considerably cheaper
to buy using a SA credit card. On the PE / Jo'burg flight
my daughter saved nearly 50% by using my card. Now
I think of it she saved !00% as I paid.
Richard