What parts of Africa would you most want to spend your retirement in?

Old May 1st, 2005, 07:28 AM

Default What parts of Africa would you most want to spend your retirement in?

If money wasn't a limitation, what parts or area/s of Africa would you
most like to spend your retirement in and why ?

Old May 1st, 2005, 09:48 AM
LES!

wrote

| If money wasn't a limitation, what parts or area/s of Africa would you
| most like to spend your retirement in and why ?

Without a doubt, Egypt. I know that all of Africa has history, but the
Egyptian history has always fascinated me (most ancient cultures do). I'll
be visiting Egypt for the fist time in November of 2006, and I'm REALLY
excited already (Thank goodness I have other vacations planned between now
and then so I have something to distract me!)

LES!

Old May 1st, 2005, 11:49 AM
Hans Martens

| If money wasn't a limitation, what parts or area/s of Africa would you
| most like to spend your retirement in and why ?

South Africa!

It is such a beautiful country with varied landscapes/habitats/wildlife
and a great climate. Also extremely good infrastructure (often hard to
find in the rest of Africa) and reasonable prices.

Also a decent law system that should protect your
possessions/investments. Just hope Mbeki doesn't slide off to Zimbabwan
levels.....

Regards,
Hans

==================================
Hans Martens

Wildlife & Nature Photography
http://www.wildpicture.com
==================================

Old May 1st, 2005, 11:49 AM
Hans Martens

Old May 1st, 2005, 10:23 PM
Pat Anderson

In message , Hans
Martens writes
| If money wasn't a limitation, what parts or area/s of Africa would you
| most like to spend your retirement in and why ?

South Africa!

It is such a beautiful country with varied landscapes/habitats/wildlife
and a great climate. Also extremely good infrastructure (often hard to
find in the rest of Africa) and reasonable prices.

Also a decent law system that should protect your
possessions/investments. Just hope Mbeki doesn't slide off to Zimbabwan
levels.....

Regards,
Hans

==================================
Hans Martens

Wildlife & Nature Photography
http://www.wildpicture.com
==================================

Kenya-- I`d like to live in a house overlooking Mount Kenya.
Why? Because we lived where we could see Mount Kenya and when the
time was up, we had to leave. Every day around five pm for three years
I watched the mountain emerge from the mist. I never tired of seeing it
and shed a tear because of it`s splendour! That is where I would like
to be.
Pat.
--
Pat Anderson
Old May 1st, 2005, 10:23 PM
Pat Anderson

In message , Hans
Martens writes

Old May 2nd, 2005, 04:45 AM
Odysseus

I agree.

I just got back from Sa and Zimbabwe. There is a big difference between the
countries. It's like the difference between the US and Central America.

I think SA is more like a European country than an African country.

I think the prices in SA are high (compared to the US) but that may be because
the dollar is weak.

There is only one thing that makes me not want to make a return visit to SA.
It is the long flights. Coming home, I was in that SAA plane for 20 hours.

Old May 2nd, 2005, 03:30 PM
Dave Patterson

We did buy a home in South Africa more than 2 years ago.
One poster mentioned that it seems expensive there, and
I agree - with the weak dollar, many things we need are
costlier than in the US. Cars, petrol, all supermarket items
that are packaged or processed - these are really higher.
Insurance, local taxes & municipal services are about the same.
Phone service is the most expensive in the world.
Fresh foods are less, and usually better than what we can
get here in the US.
But, actually retiring there, and living full time, is impossible
because of the restrictions, unless you have some wealth.
Take a look at the requirements - and these are per person,
not per couple.

A pension with a minimum value of R20,000 per month or an
irrevocable retirement annuity or retirement account to the equivalent
amount;
A net worth of no less than R12 million providing an income
of at least R15,000 per month.

In dollars, for example, a couple would need pension income
of $80K per year, or a net worth of $4 million. If you qualify,
you can get a permit for unlimited time in the country that
is good for 4 years and is renewable.

In our case, the regular 90-day visa obtained on entry to
the country works just fine.

Old May 2nd, 2005, 04:32 PM
Hans Martens

Dave Patterson schreef:
I agree - with the weak dollar, many things we need are
costlier than in the US. Cars, petrol, all supermarket items
that are packaged or processed - these are really higher.

But still MUCH less than in most of Europe. Prices in the US are already
very low.

Another option is to invest in a South African business. Then you only
have to invest 2.5 million Rand and employ 5 (black) South Africans.

Regards,
Hans