NBO<=>Nairobi transport?

Old May 27th, 2004, 02:10 PM
Not the Karl Orff

Default NBO<=>Nairobi transport?

Other than for taxis (how safe?) what are the transportation options
other than shuttle bus/bus between Jomo Kenyatta airport and the city,
specifically the Hilton. Have to make our way from the airport once and
to the airport for international pre 8 am flights twice.

TIA
Old May 27th, 2004, 04:07 PM
Dave Patterson

I can arrange a private transfer for
$40 USD each way with one of my men.

Old May 27th, 2004, 07:09 PM
Pat Anderson

In message , Not
the Karl Orff writes
Other than for taxis (how safe?) what are the transportation options
other than shuttle bus/bus between Jomo Kenyatta airport and the city,
specifically the Hilton. Have to make our way from the airport once and
to the airport for international pre 8 am flights twice.

TIA

Not my "shauri" Dave but it`s a good offer.
If we come to Kenya and have no lift perhaps you could help?
TIA would do well to take you up on your offer.
Pat
--
Pat Anderson
Old May 27th, 2004, 07:31 PM
Dave Patterson

Pat Anderson wrote:

If we come to Kenya and have no lift perhaps you could help?
TIA would do well to take you up on your offer.

Of course.. $40 is a really good deal when several
people are together, because the transfer is made in a
regular safari van, which has plenty of baggage space
and comfortable seating for 6 or 7 passengers.
Or, uncomfortable seating for 9.

Anyone wanting Guide/driver services in Kenya can
contact David Magu directly. Here's the information about
David on a page within our web site:
http://www.africasafari.com/DavidMagu.html

He is currently out on safari with our clients but will be free after
June 11 for awhile.

Old May 27th, 2004, 07:51 PM
Not the Karl Orff

In article ,
Dave Patterson wrote:

Pat Anderson wrote:

If we come to Kenya and have no lift perhaps you could help?
TIA would do well to take you up on your offer.

Of course.. $40 is a really good deal when several
people are together, because the transfer is made in a
regular safari van, which has plenty of baggage space
and comfortable seating for 6 or 7 passengers.
Or, uncomfortable seating for 9.

umm, how about just 2 of us with light luggage?
Old May 28th, 2004, 02:47 AM
Dave Patterson

Not the Karl Orff wrote:

umm, how about just 2 of us with light luggage?

The $ 40 is so the driver can make a living.
Has nothing to do with how many people sit
in the vehicle. Maybe a taxi would be your
best choice.

Old May 31st, 2004, 04:32 PM
Gary Balfour

Not the Karl Orff wrote in message ...
Other than for taxis (how safe?) what are the transportation options
other than shuttle bus/bus between Jomo Kenyatta airport and the city,
specifically the Hilton. Have to make our way from the airport once and
to the airport for international pre 8 am flights twice.

TIA

Dear Karl,

First, as to your question about taxis. The taxis operating out of
the airport are reasonabbly safe. I have taken them and would again.
They are often older vehicle and comfort is not assured. And you
should, as anyplace that is not metered, set the price first.

My company is the Hertz Franchisee in Kenya now and we have an office
at the International Arivals Hall (both at Jomo Kenyatta in Nairobi
and Moi International in Mombasa).

Aside from self drive two and four wheel drives, we do arrange
chauffeur driven transfers. Transfers in a four door sedan holding up
to three passengers with reasonable luggage runs $30.00 to city hotels
such as the Hilton. A larger vehicle such as a Pajero or safari van
is $40.00.

You can book the transfer by email and make payment on arrival.

Enjoy your trip.
Gary

Check out the Blog at www.safari.cc - Your Friend in Africa
Old June 1st, 2004, 03:59 PM
Gary Balfour

Not the Karl Orff wrote in message ...
Other than for taxis (how safe?) what are the transportation options
other than shuttle bus/bus between Jomo Kenyatta airport and the city,
specifically the Hilton. Have to make our way from the airport once and
to the airport for international pre 8 am flights twice.

TIA

Dear Karl,

First, I would like to offer my comments on taxis from the airport.
The Airport Authority has been working to 'clean up' unlicensed taxis
and in general, the government has been focusing or road safety in
Kenya over the last several months. That said, many of the taxis at
the airport are still older vehicle and it is more a matter of
reliability and comfort than safety.

Safety is a concern on all roads in Kenya regardless of the vehicle
you are in. There are just a lot of bad drivers here with little
concern for the wellbeing of others. And as you can imagine, you have
have the best driver in the world and it won't make any difference if
he is stopped and a local bus (matatu) slams into you because he is in
a rush to pick up more fares.

Then we get to the topic of price. You will have to negotiate with a
taxi and that will depend on how much they think you can afford. And
don't think that if one is too expensive, the next guy will cut you a
deal. They do work together.

Many visitors here (in East Africa) think that because it is Africa,
it should be much cheaper than other places. You would not question a
$45.00 cab fare between Laguardia and Manhattan. We import our cars
meaning we pay 60% more for them after shippings, customs, duty, and
excise taxes. Our maintenance costs are more and petrol... Americans
complain when gasoline prices come close to $2.00 a gallon. At almost
70 shillings a litre, we pay nearly $3.50 per gallon.

Now, on to your options.

Dave's price is fair. It is the same as mine in fact, except I do
have smaller cars as well.

Last year I took over the Hertz franchise for Kenya. We have offices
in the arrivals halls at Jomo Kenyatta (Nairobi) and Moi International
(Mombasa) Airports. We offer transfer services with advance bookings.

The price for a two wheel drive transfer to a city hotel (four door
sedan suitable for two - three passengers with limited luggage) is
$30.00. The price for a safari van or Pajero (five to eight
passengers with luggage) is $40.00. You can book these transfers by
email.

Payment is made on arrival in cash or by major credit card.
I hope you enjoy your visit
Gary

Check out the Blog -
www.safari.cc - Your Friend in Africa