where to go in Africa ?

Old May 17th, 2006, 01:27 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

Default where to go in Africa ?

I am planning my first trip to Africa. What is a better choice,
Kenya/Tanzania or South Africa/Botswana? I want to see animals in the
wild and beautiful scenery....

Cheers,
Leo

Old May 17th, 2006, 07:11 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

"Leo Kerner" schreef in bericht
I am planning my first trip to Africa. What is a better choice,
Kenya/Tanzania or South Africa/Botswana? I want to see animals in the
wild and beautiful scenery....

Cheers,
Leo

What a question. Impossible to answer. I advice you to visit both!!

Hans.

Old May 17th, 2006, 10:42 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

I'm biased, but my recommendation for a first-time African visitor
from Europe or N. America is always South Africa. This is because
South Africa is not as far outside of the average tourists comfort
zone as East Africa can be. It's a much "gentler" introduction to
Africa in many ways.

Sure, if you're going on a package tour where you're escorted to the
airport, then transferred to a luxury lodge in a 5-star coach, and
spend ten days being wined and dined in 5-star luxury, then it could
be in South Africa, Kenya, or any other country for that matter.

TBH though, both Southern Africa and East Africa have their own unique
beauty. Do them both...

Marc - Johannesburg

Old May 17th, 2006, 04:36 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

Leo Kerner wrote:

I am planning my first trip to Africa. What is a better choice,
Kenya/Tanzania

For value, east Africa is better. But only (in my opinion) include
Tanzania if you go January through June. And skip April
because of the certainty of rains affecting your trip. A trip
that starts in Tanzania late May and finishes in Kenya is
the absolute best combination of weather, airfares, lodge costs.

or South Africa/Botswana?

Great experience but more expensive for several reasons.
Weak dollar (Canadian & US), cost of flights to get to and
from Botswana and more expensive camps in both places.

I want to see animals in the
wild and beautiful scenery....

No problem - all of the countries you suggested offer that.

Old May 17th, 2006, 08:19 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

Leo Kerner writes ...

I am planning my first trip to Africa. What is a better choice,
Kenya/Tanzania or South Africa/Botswana? I want to see animals in
the wild and beautiful scenery....

I've been to Namibia, South Africa and Tanzania and while I enjoyed
them all I definitely enjoyed Tanzania the most. The Serengeti is
unique if you're there when up to 1.5 million wildebeest and zebras are
on the short-grass plains (we probably saw 500,000 - 600,000 animals in
one day in April) and Ngorongoro Crater is pretty unique too, with
80-100 lions, 400-500 hyenas, black rhinos, heavy-tusked elephants and
30,000 antelope in the collapsed caldera of an ancient volcano.

Bill

Old May 21st, 2006, 05:48 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

"Leo Kerner" schreef in bericht
I am planning my first trip to Africa. What is a better choice,
Kenya/Tanzania or South Africa/Botswana? I want to see animals in the
wild and beautiful scenery....

Cheers,
Leo

Hi Leo,

both countries host amazing wildlife and game-parks. If you want to do the
trip yourself then South Africa is the best choice. And I agree to the other
answers given here already.

Keep well.

Regards from the bush,

Corné.

www.amukela.com

Old May 21st, 2006, 06:56 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

Leo,

If you have time (and money) visit both!

--
==================================
Lou Andreoli

==================================

Old July 17th, 2006, 11:02 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Heinz Meisel

Corné schrieb:

I am planning my first trip to Africa. What is a better choice,
Kenya/Tanzania or South Africa/Botswana? I want to see animals in the
wild and beautiful scenery....

Best of all is Namibia! There is all you want to see.

Greetings from Heinz
Old October 23rd, 2006, 08:21 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Allison

....all four countries that you mentioned are lovely and interesting in
different ways. South Af and Botswana are a bit easier to travel in if
you're planning to rent a car and travel independently. The roads are
better and it's easier to just rent and go. Kenya and Tanzania are
just a bit more challenging. That said, I'm setting off in two weeks
for my second trip to Tanzania, with a rental car. It took a while but
I finally found a reasonable deal. We'll see how it goes.

Allison

--
Allison