Sabi Sabi South Africa

Old June 18th, 2006, 11:54 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

Default Sabi Sabi South Africa

After much deliberation we have finally opted to stay for 1 night at
Bush Lodge and 2 nights at Selati camp for our 25th anniversary. I hope
we have made the right choice !
I would love to hear from anyone who stayed there, advice, good things
and not so good things we should avoid.
As we are doing this 3 day safari in January and I seem to attract
mosquitoes, any advice on keeping myself bite free would be helpful!
Thanks,
Neilly.

Old June 19th, 2006, 04:42 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

neilly wrote:
After much deliberation we have finally opted to stay for 1 night at
Bush Lodge and 2 nights at Selati camp for our 25th anniversary. I hope
we have made the right choice !
I would love to hear from anyone who stayed there, advice, good things
and not so good things we should avoid.
As we are doing this 3 day safari in January and I seem to attract
mosquitoes, any advice on keeping myself bite free would be helpful!
Thanks,
Neilly.

Hi,

When you are in South Africa buy some local mosquito repellent. It
seems to work better here than those bought in other countries. Not
saying the foreign ones don't work, just not so well on our mosquitoes.
I use a Tabard stick, or Peaceful Sleep. I spend a lot of time in the
nature reserves, and also attract mosquitoes, so I know what it feels like.

Pay attention to the ankles, as they seem to like them. Fire smoke is a
deterant, too.

Catherine

--
== Not nuts, just a little eccentric ==
http://www.africanbush.co.za
Old June 19th, 2006, 08:01 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

Hi Neilly,

I am sure you will enjoy the experience, in spite of the Mosquitos.
My step-daughter has just arrived from America, and she will be taking
her family there next week.

Catherine just about covers the best Mosquito repellants in South
Africa. Those repellants are the answer to avoiding mosquito bites.
May I add that it is also useful to wear a long skirt or pants and
socks at night. Get yourself some Citronella candles, which are
inhibitors. I am not sure if this works, but I hear that mosquitos do
not enjoy the movement of air caused by a fan, so may be a good idea to
keep a fan going in your bedroom, and whatever you do, if you don't
want 'helicopters' buzzing around your bed all night, keep your windows
shut if they don't already have mesh covers on them.
MOST IMPORTANT: In order to avoid the risk of Malaria, ask your Doctor
for a prescription for MEFLAIM, which sells in a pack of 6 tablets.
You will need to take 1 a week before you arrive at Sabie, and then 1
every week thereafter for another 5 weeks.

Carole
Acasa di Angelo, Durban
http://www.sa-venues.com/kzn/acasadiangelo.htm
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~@@@~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old June 19th, 2006, 11:40 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

On 19 Jun 2006 12:01:23 -0700, "Carole"
wrote:

[...]

I'd suggest Malarone over Lariam.

It's daily, it's more expensive, but not apt to give you wacky
nightmares or outright psychosis (particularly anyone on any kind of
antidepressant or other psychoactive medications)

Grant Kinsley M.D.

Old June 20th, 2006, 08:41 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

I absolutely agree with Dr. Kinsley :-) and I must say that it's good
to know that there's a Doc. on this NG who might prove to be a counter
to the advocates of dangerous non-medical malaria prophylaxis like
accupuncture, crystals, homeopathic drops etc. I have know enough
people who've died from malaria to know that you don't mess with this
disease. The brother of a friend died after taking homeopathic
"prophylaxis" which DOESN'T work, and then he consulted homeopaths who
"treated" him for a week before he was admitted to hospital with fatal
liver failure. The fact that some peole who take homeopathic
prophylaxis don't get malaria is no proof that it works. It simply
means that they didn't get bitten by a parasite-carrying female
anopheles mosquito.

Lariam is a very scary drug. It doesn't affect some people at all, but
those it does affect, well.....scary.

I have never tried Malarone because I've found that I have only slight
reactions to doxycycline and I often spend several weeks or months in
malarial areas. It's also freely available in Africa if I happen to
run out or lose my meds.

I'm not recommending that you use doxy, because it's a bit of a pain
taking it every day, for 2-3 weeks afterwards.

As far as mosquito repellant goes, there are two brands available in
South Africa - Tabard and Peacefull Sleep. Both are available as a
lotion, a spray, and a stick. I find the stick is the least useful as
they don't last long and don't cover well. The spray is great but if
you really cover yourself properly the can doesn't last too long. If
I'm away for a week or less, then I take the spray. If I'll be away
for longer, I'll usually take the lotion.

Be carefull with the repellants. Both of them contain deet that eats
certain plastics. I have destroyed the cover of my mobile phone by
using it with deet on my ear ;-0

Have a great trip.

Marc - Johannesburg, South Africa

Old June 20th, 2006, 09:26 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

In article ,
Marc Lurie writes:

Lariam is a very scary drug. It doesn't affect some people at all, but
those it does affect, well.....scary.

I took ONE tablet, ONCE (prescribed by a Dr) - in preparation for my
first trip to a malarial area. I woke up in the middle of the night,
staggered to the bathroom feeling dreadful, passed out, took a week to
recover - luckily still before I had to leave. I got a precription for
Malarone instead and was fine on that - subsequently taking it for
several more trips. It's not such a huge problem taking it every day -
the week afterwards is probably the most nuisance.

--
Philip Hazel
University Computing Service, Cambridge, England.
Old June 20th, 2006, 03:27 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

"neilly" wrote in message
ups.com...
After much deliberation we have finally opted to stay for 1 night at
Bush Lodge and 2 nights at Selati camp for our 25th anniversary. I hope
we have made the right choice !
I would love to hear from anyone who stayed there, advice, good things
and not so good things we should avoid.
As we are doing this 3 day safari in January and I seem to attract
mosquitoes, any advice on keeping myself bite free would be helpful!
Thanks,
Neilly.

Apart from the good advice posted by others about covering up, repellents,
pills etc., you could use mosquito coils (the ones you burn, usually green,
made by Bayer and others) when indoors or even outdoors in sheltered areas
like a balcony. Some people can't stand the smell (ditto the mossies) but I
use them here in Indonesia and they work well on our local mossies. I think
they are not available in some countries, being considered too toxic, but I
am so far happy to take the risk (I now wait for someone to tell me that it
destroys the rational decision centre of the brain).

Some people in this area, not just the idiots, say that wearing blue attacts
mossies. It sounds odd but maybe at least it is one way to wear down the
Chelsean soccer team.

Old June 20th, 2006, 10:13 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 21:27:36 +0700, "RAK" wrote:

"neilly" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I don't know if Blue attracts mozzies, but it is well established that
dark colours (dark blue and black) can attract Tsetse Flies.

On the other hand if you are going out to look at game in the wild one
should be wearing muted natural earth tones anyway, less likely for
the animals to notice you.

GK