Mombasa question

Old July 25th, 2006, 08:30 PM posted to soc.culture.kenya,rec.travel.africa,soc.culture.african,soc.culture.usa
AKT

Default Mombasa question

We are going to Kenya on a short trip and need to decide whether to
include Mombasa or not.

One group of friends/family is telling us that wildlife is the
exceptional opportunity, so we should skip Mombasa.

However, another friend is of the opinion that tourists tend to overdo
wildlife, and Mombasa is great way to sample a different part of
Kenya's culture.

I am wondering if you have an opinion about Mombasa, which we don;t
know at all, in fact the nearest I have been to is the western coast of
India!

Another suggestion I have received is that if we go to Mombasa, we
should not fly but take the train, at least one way, for a different
experience. If you know that train, I would appreciate your opinion.

Thanks
Old July 26th, 2006, 12:54 AM posted to soc.culture.kenya,rec.travel.africa,soc.culture.african,soc.culture.usa
Dave Patterson

My opinion: omit Mombasa if you travel there and
don't go on safari because there would not then be
enough time for it.

The train? Never done it.
But I don't think anyone has been killed on it in more than 7 years:
http://danger-ahead.railfan.net/repo...99/voi_02.html
http://www.nationaudio.com/News/Dail...ws/News12.html

Old July 26th, 2006, 06:40 AM posted to soc.culture.kenya,rec.travel.africa,soc.culture.african,soc.culture.usa
AKT

Dave Patterson wrote:
My opinion: omit Mombasa if you travel there

I think I get that.

and don't go on safari because there would not then be
enough time for it.

You mean, if I go to Mombasa then I should the safari?
Old July 26th, 2006, 07:56 AM posted to soc.culture.kenya,rec.travel.africa,soc.culture.african,soc.culture.usa
ngeresa

Your Information about Mombasa and the Train
Mombasa is a place steeped in history, yet at the same time fascinating
commercial and cosmopolitan port town.

Mombasa is an island connected to the mainland by bridges and ferries.
The town over looks a wide harbor, where commercial shipping mingles
with traditional sailing dhows.

The true heart of Mombasa is found in the exotic old town, among the
narrow winding streets and Arab architecture. The air here is always
heavy with the scent of spices. Women wearing the traditional bui bui
fill the narrow streets and busy markets. At the dhow docks fresh fish
and goods from all along the coast arrive daily. The streets are alive
with the bright colours of the traditional coastal khanga and kikoy,
the all purpose wrap around cloth worn by both men and women.

At the waters edge is Fort Jesus, an imposing fort that stands watch
over the harbor. The high gun turrets, battlements and underground
passages of this 16th Century Fort were the centre of a historic
struggle for control of the Kenya coast between the Portuguese army and
the Shirazi Arabs. This war was waged around Mombasa over hundreds of
years and countless battles, and the Fort stands as a testament to this
tumultuous past.

Modern Mombasa is a city of great diversity and life. This is a town
were all are welcomed and quickly absorbed into this great coastal
melting pot. Mosques, Hindu Temples and Christian churches surround
streets that thrive with a world of cultures.

Mombasa is a place where both history and progress are greatly valued,
where a busy harbor existence is lived at its own unique, tropical
pace.

Below are the Attractioons you will find in MOMBASA

Mamba Village
Mamba Village, which is situated in Nyali, is East Africa's largest
crocodile farm. A tour of the farm starts with a movie on the life
cycle and behaviour of crocodiles, followed by a comprehensive tour of
the rest of farm, and ends with the highlight of the day: a spectacular
scene of blood-thirsty crocodiles fighting for food during feeding
time. Excellent cuisine is available at the Mamba Restaurant, and the
house specialty is superbly grilled crocodile meat. Souvenirs of your
visit can be bought at the Mamba Souvenir shop located within the
village.

Bamburi Nature Trail
The Bamburi Nature Trail is the largest animal sanctuary in Mombasa.
Located in Bamburi next to the Cement Factory, the Nature Trail boasts
an enormous variety of animals, reptiles, insects and botanical
gardens. Walking along the trail is the ideal way to look at the
various animals, and on many occasions holding or feeding a reptile
such as a snake is allowed under close supervision of a guide.
Educational videos are also shown, with emphasis on the the history and
continuous improvement of the trail. It was previously a barren piece
of land that had been stripped of its resources through limestone
mining, and was redeveloped through reforestation and conservation
efforts, and is now a habitat for a large number of flora and fauna
species.

Here you will find the baby hippo christened Owen which has befriended
a 100-year-old tortoise called Mzee.

The Tortoise acts as the mother to the hippo, they sleep together and
spend the whole day together.

go to this url to know more about the story of the hippo and the
tortoise on BBC http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4152447.stm

Gedi Ruins
On the North coast of Mombasa towards the town of Malindi lays one the
most pre-historic ruins found in Mombasa, called the Gedi Ruins. Gedi
was a small town built entirely from rocks and stones, which was
inhabited by a few thousand Swahili people and ruled by a very rich
Sultan. These ruins date back from the 15th century, and through
careful preservation most of the original foundations can still be seen
today. A well-informed and educated guide gives a tour of the ruins.
The ruins are designated as a National Museum by law, and their
preservation are a direct reflection of the commitment of the
Government to uphold the country's cultural and historical background.

Fort Jesus
Fort Jesus is Mombasa's most popular tourist attraction. The fort,
located along the coastline near the Old Town, is a monumental piece of
architecture that was built in the 16th century by the Portuguese. The
fort has a museum that displays various artifacts from the era where
Mombasa served as a transit point for the slave trade and commodities,
and which enjoyed regular visits by seafarers and the like. Its
interior comprises of torture rooms and prison cells where slaves were
kept in captivity before being traded. Weapons such as canons, which
were used to defend the fort from invading foreigners as well as
rioting locals, can be seen both inside and outside of the fort. The
fort opens its gates for viewing in the morning and closes at dusk.

I would reccomend you have 4 days Mombasa on your Itinerary.

The train leaves Nairobi to Mombasa every monday Wednesday and Friday
and leaves Mombasa to Nairobi Tuesday,Thursday and Sunday.

Departure time Nairobi to Mombasa 19.00 hrs-arrival 0830 hrs

Departure time Mombasa to Nairobi 19.00 hrs-arrival 0830 hrs
You get to use the First class train services which includes dinner and
breakfast. Your own bathroom and Toilet facilities and a bed.

It will cost you 50 $USD per person one way

We can make for you a tailor made Itinerary that will suite your visit
to Kenya.

For more information you can visit our website
www.destination-connect.com

Paul Ngeresa
Information
Destination Connect

Old July 26th, 2006, 01:11 PM posted to soc.culture.kenya,rec.travel.africa,soc.culture.african,soc.culture.usa
SiXiS

"AKT" schreef in bericht
We are going to Kenya on a short trip and need to decide whether to
include Mombasa or not.

One group of friends/family is telling us that wildlife is the
exceptional opportunity, so we should skip Mombasa.

However, another friend is of the opinion that tourists tend to overdo
wildlife, and Mombasa is great way to sample a different part of
Kenya's culture.

I am wondering if you have an opinion about Mombasa, which we don;t
know at all, in fact the nearest I have been to is the western coast of
India!

Another suggestion I have received is that if we go to Mombasa, we
should not fly but take the train, at least one way, for a different
experience. If you know that train, I would appreciate your opinion.

Thanks

Mombasa is a great place to be. Itīs an African meltingpot of different
cultures, well, at least thatīs how I experienced it several times. Next
sunday I will go to Kenya for the fifth time for a holiday, and I will visit
Mombasa again, no doubt about that. That train from Nairobi to Mombasa is
fantastic, you should take that for sure, first class. The beaches up north
(Kikambala!!) are like a dream, clubs and restaurants are okay, the
atmosphere in the city makes me feel at home. And home is in Amsterdam.
This time I planned some kind of a route including Masai Mara - Nakuru -
Mombasa - Zanzibar - Lamu, and this may take 28 days.... The wildlife is
ofcourse fantastic, you have to see that when youīre in Kenya, but imho half
your holiday is more than enough. Never skip Mombasa!

Have fun out there,
Chris

Old July 26th, 2006, 04:44 PM posted to soc.culture.kenya,rec.travel.africa,soc.culture.african,soc.culture.usa
Kiran

SiXiS wrote:

And home is in Amsterdam...

I read your post re Mombasa with interest. However, I would like to
bring up Amserdam.

Back from Kenya, we (2 persons) have a bad connection in Amsterdam:
arrive 7:30PM, depart next morning 10:30AM. What is the best way to
manage that? The airport hotel is booked up that night and in any event
I have been warming up to the idea of enjoying Amsterdam for a few
hours and getting a hotel in the town. My guess is we get into town
until 9:30PM, probably should go to bed by 1AM as we have to head back
to the airport by 7:30AM.

I am not onto red-light district, discos etc, but would enjoy
Indonesian dinner, cafes, window shopping. So as not to waste my 3
awake hours in town, it would be nice if all this and hotel and train
station are near one another. If the hotel can be kept around $100 for
a double thatwould be great, otherwise as low as possible. (This is a
Saturday night in September.)

Questions:

1. Should we go to Centraal Station and make that area as our base, or
would another part of town be a better bet?

2. For that matter, would a town other than Amsterdam be a better bet
for this purpose? Should have some life 9PM-midnight and be well
connected to Schiphol.

3. Should we book hotel from here (USA) or do we get better options
working with tourist desk after our arrival?

4. Do you have any "hidden gems" to recommend among hotels that may not
be mentioned in guide books? We only need clean and safe, private
toilet and shower, but no other facilities.

Thanks.
Old July 26th, 2006, 06:22 PM posted to soc.culture.kenya,rec.travel.africa,soc.culture.african,soc.culture.usa
SiXiS

"Kiran" schreef in bericht
SiXiS wrote:

[...]

The central station is next to the red light district, you cannot miss it,
and this is really a place to visit. Actually the only place to visit when
your here that short. On the edge of the red light district youīll find the
Zeedijk, which is actually Chinatown, and you should go there for your Asian
food. Most Chinese reataurants are Chinese / Indonesian (chinees/indisch)
because of our history with Indonesia. Recommended! The red light district
is famous for its windowshopping Seriously, the red light district is
great. Many different bars, clubs, and offcourse the coffeeshops. Iīm born
in Amsterdam, still live here, and this is the only place in town where I
feel completely save. The other two mainspots in town, the Leidseplein area
en the Rembrandtsplein area are not quite my favorites since there are many
teens wasting their money on (too much) alcohol. Itīs saturdaynight,
remember? Windowshopping after 9pm will be difficult because lot of shops
close at 9pm. Connections between centraal station and schiphol airport are
quite good, takes about 20 minutes, check www.ns.nl (ns means nederlandse
spoorwegen, or dutch railways)

2. For that matter, would a town other than Amsterdam be a better bet
for this purpose? Should have some life 9PM-midnight and be well
connected to Schiphol.

No, I donīt think so. The nearest towns with excellent connections to
schiphol are Haarlem, Leiden and Amsterdam. Haarlem is a very nice town,
really, would be my second bet. Itīs a somewhat decent town, very quiet. It
seems to be the #1 shoppingcity in the Netherlands and there are very nice
bars and restaurants in the centre. It is also a very old town with a
beautiful towncentre. From Haarlem to Schiphol by train takes about half an
hour. The station is also in the centre, hotels will be cheaper than in
Amsterdam, and there will be more choice than in Amsterdam.
I donīt know much about Leiden, itīs a bit further away down south, near The
Hague. Many students out there, saturdaynight...

3. Should we book hotel from here (USA) or do we get better options
working with tourist desk after our arrival?

There are loads of tourists coming to Amsterdam right now, so try to find a
hotel in advance. The tourist desk at central station has a permanent queue
which takes you 1 hour. Try this http://www.amsterdamtourist.nl/ September
is a little bit after the high season so maybe there is a room available.
This is Haarlem http://www.vvvzk.nl/

4. Do you have any "hidden gems" to recommend among hotels that may not
be mentioned in guide books? We only need clean and safe, private
toilet and shower, but no other facilities.

When this saturday night is september 9, nope, try the links above. The
other saturdays in september, yes, mail me westruxno after
removing the no spammm.

Thanks.

Youīre welcome.

Old July 27th, 2006, 09:23 AM posted to soc.culture.kenya,rec.travel.africa,soc.culture.african,soc.culture.usa
ngeresa

Default Mombasa question travelling with a Train

Click on this url
http://www.destination-connect.com/k...n_services.htm and you
will get more information about the Train. Departure time from Nairobi
to Mombasa, the fare and how it feels using their services.

The train is the best mode of travel actually one experince that you
will never forget.

www.destination-connect.com
SiXiS wrote:
"Kiran" schreef in bericht

Old July 28th, 2006, 04:29 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Hans-Georg Michna

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 19:30:08 GMT, AKT wrote:

We are going to Kenya on a short trip and need to decide whether to
include Mombasa or not.

Depends on how much time you have and how interested you are in
cities.

I personally value wildlife safaris above everything else, and
I've been to the entire coast of Kenya as well. By the way, if
you have the means, Lamu is more exotic than Mombasa, though
Mombasa is certainly interesting.

One group of friends/family is telling us that wildlife is the
exceptional opportunity, so we should skip Mombasa.

I agree.

However, another friend is of the opinion that tourists tend to overdo
wildlife, and Mombasa is great way to sample a different part of
Kenya's culture.

I find it very difficult to overdo wildlife.

I am wondering if you have an opinion about Mombasa, which we don;t
know at all, in fact the nearest I have been to is the western coast of
India!

Another suggestion I have received is that if we go to Mombasa, we
should not fly but take the train, at least one way, for a different
experience. If you know that train, I would appreciate your opinion.

Certainly an experience, but a limited one, since the train goes
at night. You can also go by bus. And you can fly.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.
Old August 2nd, 2006, 02:37 PM posted to soc.culture.kenya,rec.travel.africa,soc.culture.african,soc.culture.usa
[email protected]

Hello.

First Why Mombasa?.

Instead you can do a short visit to Tanzania Arusha and Zanzibar. Get a
Four to Five days Safari to visit the World known Serengeti and
Ngorongoro Crator.Then fly for 45mnts to the Best Island of Zanzibar
for the rest of your time as it is a short trip.

Zanzibar Its simple historical small town
Serengeti is an endless plain, where at this time of the year,
Wildbeest migration is in the middle.
Ngorongoro Crator is where all of us we can prove the dates of our
presence in the World.

Easy to fyl in and out of Tanzania.

Mrecha John
Director and Safari Expert.