driving from yosemite to vegas

Old September 14th, 2004, 01:48 AM
Lonnieanixt

Default driving from yosemite to vegas

whats the quickest way.
will be done in late september or early october.
thanks in advance
Old September 14th, 2004, 07:58 PM
Patty Winter

In article , Ken wrote:
wrote in :

But Tioga Pass is usually closed by October.

Definately check road conditions before you travel in the mountains, but as
far as I know, Tioga Pass has been open through the end of October every year
in this century. See: http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/clsdates.htm

Yeah, it would be very unusual for it to be closed in early October.
However, the first Thursday or Friday of October some years ago, a
friend and I had to take a different route to get to Mammoth because
Tioga Pass was closed when we had to make our decision. It opened
later in the afternoon, but we didn't want to take the chance and
risk getting turned back when we were already partway across Yosemite.

So as Ken says, keep a close eye on the weather reports. But chances
are, you'll be fine.

Patty

Old September 14th, 2004, 10:12 PM
Patty Winter

In article , Ken wrote:
(Patty Winter) wrote in
:
However, the first Thursday or Friday of October some years ago, a
friend and I had to take a different route to get to Mammoth because
Tioga Pass was closed when we had to make our decision.

Sometimes the road is temporarily (like a few hours or overnight) closed due to
an early season snow storm. In October, the snow usually melts pretty quickly.

Er, yeah, I think that's what I was saying. :-) Hence my comment about
the road reopening in the afternoon. But we couldn't be sure it would
reopen before we got there, so we did the safe thing and took an
alternate route.

Patty

Old September 14th, 2004, 10:12 PM
Patty Winter