Carrying a bike w/ AerLingus, Ryanair, Easyjet

Old February 7th, 2010, 03:19 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.misc
SB[_3_]

Default Carrying a bike w/ AerLingus, Ryanair, Easyjet

Later this year I plan to take my Trek 1200 road bike by air from
Ireland to Italy and home again. I will be travelling with Aer Lingus,
Ryanair and Easyjet.

Each of their websites stipulate that one must carry a bike in a
bicycle box or bike bag.
I am aware of the moulded plastic bike boxes that can be used to carry
bikes. Would any or all of these airlines allow one to carry a bike
in the heavy-duty cardboard box in which it was originally delivered
to the bike shop?

Cheers
SB

Would suggest this should also be posted at uk.rec.cycling

Jan

Old February 7th, 2010, 08:54 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.misc
John Doe[_2_]

SB wrote:

bikes. Would any or all of these airlines allow one to carry a bike
in the heavy-duty cardboard box in which it was originally delivered
to the bike shop?

Yes. However, those "delivery" boxes are smaller than the "airline bike
boxes" since they are designed to carry diassembled bicycles.

Ask the bike shop for the plastic caps that come with the bikes to
protect their protruding parts.

Airline bike boxes are generally large enough that you can fit the bike
with the 2 wheels still on the bike. Some require you remove the seat.
All require you remove pedals and turn handlebar.
Old February 7th, 2010, 11:53 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.misc
Bartc

"SB" wrote in message
Later this year I plan to take my Trek 1200 road bike by air from
Ireland to Italy and home again. I will be travelling with Aer Lingus,
Ryanair and Easyjet.

Each of their websites stipulate that one must carry a bike in a
bicycle box or bike bag.

I've taken a bike without any sort of box quite a few times, certainly with
Ryanair and perhaps one or two others.

The last time was 2006 ... things may be stricter now, but I remember this
stuff about boxes then as well.

All that was necessary was to turn the handlebars to be inline with the bike
frame (makes it harder to push..). Taking the pedals off (and remembering to
take them, and a spanner, with you) can help too.

Sometimes, partly deflating the tyres was advised (in this case pack a
pump).

One problem with a box is: what do you do with it at the other end? As you
will probably need it coming back. (Usually I had a rental car, but
sometimes it was just me and the bike...)

And, if you're taking the bike in a car to a long-term car park, the
courtesy bus drivers don't like bikes in one piece...

--
Bartc