off road in WA and NT?

Old November 8th, 2009, 01:27 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Maurice ON4BAM

Default off road in WA and NT?

Hi,

We're starting to prepare next years vacation and are looking into
Australia. We are thinking to make a trip along the western coast
starting in Perth up to Coral Bay (and back to Perth) and then flying
to Alice Springs or Ayers Rock making a tour. Looking at the roads it
looks like it would be good to have a 4x4 (car not camper).
Could we get by with a "normal" car in this area? I'm thinking about
Kalbarri NP, F. Peron NP, and Uluru. There seem to be restriction on
where you can drive with a 4x4 too.

Any help would be welcome.
Thanks.

Bye Maurice
--
Hamradio: ON4BAM http://www.on4bam.com/
Travelogues and Amateur radio
Old November 9th, 2009, 04:39 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Gerrit

"Maurice ON4BAM" wrote in message
Hi,

We're starting to prepare next years vacation and are looking into
Australia. We are thinking to make a trip along the western coast
starting in Perth up to Coral Bay (and back to Perth) and then flying
to Alice Springs or Ayers Rock making a tour. Looking at the roads it
looks like it would be good to have a 4x4 (car not camper).
Could we get by with a "normal" car in this area? I'm thinking about
Kalbarri NP, F. Peron NP, and Uluru. There seem to be restriction on
where you can drive with a 4x4 too.

F Peron NP
Depending on where you wish to go. If you only want to visit Monkey Mia then
4WD is not necessary. All the touristy bits around Shark Bay are accessible
with a 2WD vehicle.

Kalbarri
Normal 2WD is OK.

Coral Bay
Normal 2WD for Coral Bay, Exmouth and Cape Range National Park. If you wish
to go to Ningaloo then 4WD is recommended.

Uluru
Recommend you fly to Alice Springs and rent. The road to Uluru and Kata
Tjuta (sp?) is bitumen as is the side road to Kings Canyon. It is possible
to drive from Kings Canyon to the Macdonald Ranges and so back to Alice
Springs but that would require a 4WD.
If you have time you could drive from Perth to Uluru but would recommend a
4WD. My son did this with a Subaru Outback and reckons it can be done with a
2WD but 4WD would be better. That involves quite a long section on unsealed
road and the smaller 4WDs like Rav4 will probably not be allowed on those
roads by the rental company.

Have fun, planning.

Gerrit

Old November 9th, 2009, 10:37 AM
mydriveholiday mydriveholiday is offline
Banned

one of the way aussies ezplore OZ is thru a 4WD esp going the outback and offroad trips. come tours are even using 4WD. just have to be aware that some roads are impossible to cross during the rainy season

regards
john