Digital or Film??

Old May 22nd, 2004, 03:50 PM
Kevin

Default Digital or Film??

I am going to Japan-Singapore-Malaysia-Thailand-Burma-Cambodia-Australia-New
Zealand. I don't know what type of camera I should bring, I'd like to pick
up a digital in Japan, because I hear electronics are cheap there. I think
digital would be nice bcs I could send pictures over the net so easily but
how do I unload the pictures when I'm in some south-east Asian countries. I
would hate to have to load software on a computer at every internet cafe I
went to, and I dought they would even allow it. Does anyone have any
recommendations on this issue?

Old May 23rd, 2004, 11:57 AM
Jorgen [2400]

I can only speak for Thailand, here you could have your digital card emptied
and burned on a CD. Practically everywhere.. Though I might be advisable to
have a USB cardreader with you.

- jorgen

Old May 23rd, 2004, 01:58 PM
Raffi Balmanoukian

in article , Jorgen [2400] at

"Kevin" wrote in message
I am going to
Japan-Singapore-Malaysia-Thailand-Burma-Cambodia-Australia-New
Zealand. I don't know what type of camera I should bring, I'd like to
pick
up a digital in Japan, because I hear electronics are cheap there. I think
digital would be nice bcs I could send pictures over the net so easily but
how do I unload the pictures when I'm in some south-east Asian countries.
would hate to have to load software on a computer at every internet cafe I
went to, and I dought they would even allow it. Does anyone have any
recommendations on this issue?

More than one friend who has been to Japan has told me electronics can be
more expensive there than Japanese brands abroad. No personal experience
either way.

If you take film, do NOT get it developed at the photo shop across the road
from the Diamond Hotel on Monivong St. in Phnom Penh. They made an absolute
hash of three dozen rolls of mine (and tried to change the quoted rate, too,
but that's hardly surprising). Rude *******s.

One other thing about digital: you will not have the same challenges in
keeping your film cool!

Old May 24th, 2004, 06:12 PM

Kevin,

Not destination specific, but a few words about digital... absolutely. It's
cheap and the quality is for the most part... vacation quality... nuff to
bore. The new 5 meg Sony W1 is great (just coming to market) but you'll find
computer screen resolutions for the most part statisfactory which means
100's of shots on one memory card/stick and if your camera take standard
batteries like the W1, there's no charging hassles until you get home and
decide a charger is the cheaper way to go. The W1 will shoot video at 32 fps
at 640x400 or therabouts if you have the faster memory stick, and like the
other message mentioned before get the USB card reader so you can dump pix
to CD on the fly mostly everwhere.

I carried a cheap 2meg cam with AA batteries and memory crusier...and took
1000's of pix with a 64 meg card... but of course a 256 card would have
taken it most of it. No regrets, but the better cameras allow lower lighting
conditions, features, real video, bigger view screens, zoom etc.

One caution: The cost of the pictures is cheap enough that there is the
temptation to not compose the picture well and just take many images and
delete the extras.... but many thoughless pixs are not worth one image well
composed.