JET 628900 Mini 10-Inch 1-Horsepower Benchtop Drum Sander, 115-Volt 1-Phase

Old May 22nd, 2009, 01:27 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
[email protected]

Default JET 628900 Mini 10-Inch 1-Horsepower Benchtop Drum Sander, 115-Volt 1-Phase

Price:$841.00
Image: http://speialdiscountfinder.info/ima...?id=B00020BNAO
Best deal: http://speialdiscountfinder.info/ind...?id=B00020BNAO

I. like most, have a limited amount of space in my workshop so any new tool MUST be worthwhile. I was shopping for a thickness planer as I recently got a great deal on exotic hardwoods and need to bring them to a workable and uniform thickness. after reading everything about which Planer I wanted I ran across an article on Drum Sanders. They do a similar job, but the drum sander doesn't snipe, doesn't go through expensive blades and can actually flatten crowned boards better than a planer!!! I bought this one .... took an hour to adjust and learn it's operation and began running boards through it. Great addition to my shop. No planer required in my shop.
I purchased this about a month ago and have use it a little. So far it has performed very well. Like another reviewer said, out of the box there is almost no assembly required(just some heavy lifting to get it out of the box). The precut sandpaper goes on easily as there are no tools required. I have had no problems with the belt tracking as of this time. The machine seems to have plenty of power as long as you don't try to remove too much material in one pass. All in all, I am really glad I bought this machine.Just a couple of notes. 1. At the time of this review, Home Depot.com is selling this for $500 with free shipping.2. The cheapest place I have found to buy the precut belts is Amazon.
After reading all the reviews, both plus and minus, I bought it. It does the job but is really touchy. As others have said, it does kick off a lot, especially if the sanding dust builds up on the drum (caused in my case by not having a stronger dust collector). The belt also wonders from side to side. I have used it for over six months and it still wonders. Not a big problem but something you have to watch. I put a piece of masking tape on each side of the belt with a arrow. When the belt wonders past the arrow I adjust the tension, which is an easy task. I would recommend this product if you are not in a hurry because you can only crank it down one quarter turn on each pass and have to run the belt at about one half spead. The drum on my unit was not level so one side sands more than another. I just turn the piece end for end and make a second pass. I started with 80 grit sandpaper like comes on the machine but found that left scratch marks in the wood. I switched to 120 and get a better finish. The sanding belts are a little tricky to install. I tried the tool that comes with the machine but could never get it to work. You can buy the belts in long rolls from another manufactorer for a lot less. I picked the smaller unit because I have a small shop and the price was a lot less. If I had it to do over I would buy the next size up. I have used the double pass method on wider boards and it does work OK. The sander works great in very small pieces and on all types of woods including exotics like ebony.I am a frequent and experienced woodworker who uses this sander a lot. Once you practise a little it does the job and saves a lot of time and money over using a random orbit sander. I would recommend you buy it if you are willing to put up with the issues I have listed above.
After reading other reviews I was a bit reluctant to order this sander. They weren't very positive. The main complaint was the tracking of the feed belt. I did have to dial the unit in when first set up but after that I have continually made very minor adjustments as I was sanding to keep everything running smooth. I make guitars so I use the Jet to thickness my tone woods. I can take the measurement down to under one eigth inch with no problem at all. Just a fantastic and very even finish. I'm stoked with it!!Shane DonavanLaguna Beach, CA
I had a Performax 16-32 but had to downsize due to a recent move. This Jet 10-20 (They didn't send a Performax) is not the same quality as the Performax was, IMHO. The manual says that all adjustments were made at the factory but I had to adjust the tracking, conveyor belt tension, and roller position. The manual says that the trackers should be installed but they were already on the machine that I got. There are worn sections along the sides of the tracking belt which causes me to wonder if this machine is used. However, everything else looks new. The motor that runs the conveyor is quite noisy compared to my previous . This machine is heavy duty though as was the 16-32 and pretty much the same size and weight (except for the conveyor and drum). The dust port is on the back side of the drum roller rather than on the top (like the 16-32). Seems to be a better location for dust collection. I only ran a test piece of rough popular through so far and it came out okay. The paper is 80 grit. I ordered some finer grit paper but it's on backorder. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for now.Update August 2, 2008. I had not used this sander for awhile. I had a warped piece of 1/2" thick mahogany that I wanted to try and flatten. I did run it through a bunch of passes and it did take a lot of the warp out. For those who have had the motor lug and/or burning, this is mainly caused by trying to take too much off in a single pass. Yes, the wood will have scratch marks if the grit is too coarse. Just as in hand sanding, you have to go to finer grits toward the end of your sanding process. I finish with 180. The drum alignment was way off, but not difficult to change. This has to be done more often that one might think. The little holder tool works just fine. I'm just now buying the infeed/outfeed tables. If your paper starts filling up, you need to apply one of those gum rubber sticks. I got mine at Harbor Freight--makes your paper last a lot longer.
Includes 10-20 Plus Bench Top Drum Sander - 628900, 80-Grit Abrasive Strip, 100-Grit Abrasive Belt, TufTool®

SIMILAR PRODUCTS:

Performax 60-1120 120-Grit Abrasive Strips for Performax 10-20 Plus Drum Sander, 6-Pack:http://speialdiscountfinder.info/ind...?id=B0006IHIUQ
Performax 60-1080 Ready to Wrap Abrasive Strips for Performax 10-20 Plus Drum Sander 80 Grit 6 wraps in a box:http://speialdiscountfinder.info/ind...?id=B0006IHIIS
Performax 608005 Infeed/Outfeed Table for 10-20 Plus Sander:http://speialdiscountfinder.info/ind...?id=B0009MZJK0