Least Favorite Caribbean Beaches

Old May 12th, 2004, 02:54 AM
Howie

Default Least Favorite Caribbean Beaches

I'll start with mine:

The Beach Club in Grand Cayman. All first timers to this port should
beware when the cabbies try to bring them to this crowded dump (they get
a commission). Just say no, and ask to be taken to a nice hotel. My
favorite: The Westin.

Howie

Old May 12th, 2004, 03:19 AM
Tom & Linda

Least favorite...

St. Lucia (most of it)
Jamaica (the Ocho Rios area)
Smathers (Key West)
Nassau (Paradise Island)

--Tom

Old May 12th, 2004, 03:28 AM
Howie

Tom & Linda wrote:

Least favorite...

St. Lucia (most of it)
Jamaica (the Ocho Rios area)
Smathers (Key West)
Nassau (Paradise Island)

--Tom

Next time you're in St. Lucia, Tom. Try the beach at Rex St. Lucia (a
resort). It is really very nice.

Never been to a beach at or neas Ocho Rios, which probably means one was
never recommended.

Don't know much about Key West. On my one visit there it was so HOT
that I didn't feel like doing much.

I used to love the beach that is now at the Atlantis. But it is closed
to me now. Don't care for Nassau at all.

Howie

Old May 12th, 2004, 03:37 AM
Tom & Linda

"Howie" wrote in message
Tom & Linda wrote:

Least favorite...

St. Lucia (most of it)
Jamaica (the Ocho Rios area)
Smathers (Key West)
Nassau (Paradise Island)

--Tom

Next time you're in St. Lucia, Tom. Try the beach at Rex St. Lucia (a
resort). It is really very nice.

I'm pretty certain that we did go there. Taxi driver took us there. If
it's the place along the bay just south of Pidgeon Island... I though it was
pretty lousy. If it's a different place... then I would consider trying it
next time.

Never been to a beach at or neas Ocho Rios, which probably means one was
never recommended.

Don't know much about Key West. On my one visit there it was so HOT
that I didn't feel like doing much.

Smathers is a man made beach. Yuk.

I used to love the beach that is now at the Atlantis. But it is closed
to me now. Don't care for Nassau at all.

Ditto.

--Tom

Howie

Old May 12th, 2004, 03:44 AM
Heather

Least Favorite Caribbean Beaches

With all the negative vibes on here (and bad karma), I think I will stick to
your most liked beaches thread. But thanks for asking......

-Heather
Remove CanOspam to email
http://members.aol.com/nookeybear/index1.htm
Old May 12th, 2004, 01:59 PM
Lee

Howie wrote in message ...
I'll start with mine:

The Beach Club in Grand Cayman. All first timers to this port should
beware when the cabbies try to bring them to this crowded dump (they get
a commission). Just say no, and ask to be taken to a nice hotel. My
favorite: The Westin.

Howie

Is the Beach Club the one that you get brought to if you buy the
ship's "beach day" excursion? If it is, you're right. Not nice at all.
Before we went down there, I called several resorts about paying for a
day pass to use their facilities. None of the resorts wanted day
guests - they wanted to keep their section of the beach private for
the hotel guests. So, the Westin allows day visitors? What do they
charge? Good to know for future port days there. I thought the Holiday
Inn was the only other option, other than Beach Club.

Lee
Old May 12th, 2004, 05:21 PM
Howie

Lee wrote:

Howie wrote in message ...

I'll start with mine:

The Beach Club in Grand Cayman. All first timers to this port should
beware when the cabbies try to bring them to this crowded dump (they get
a commission). Just say no, and ask to be taken to a nice hotel. My
favorite: The Westin.

Howie

Is the Beach Club the one that you get brought to if you buy the
ship's "beach day" excursion?

I think so.

If it is, you're right. Not nice at all.
Before we went down there, I called several resorts about paying for a
day pass to use their facilities. None of the resorts wanted day
guests - they wanted to keep their section of the beach private for
the hotel guests. So, the Westin allows day visitors? What do they
charge? Good to know for future port days there. I thought the Holiday
Inn was the only other option, other than Beach Club.

I have always walked right in without a problem. No questions asked and
no charge for anything (undless you want to eat or drink, which is very
$$$). They have plenty of chairs and tables available on the beach, in
both sunny and tree shaded areas.

Howie

Lee