How can I get a flu shot in Canada

Old October 21st, 2004, 07:16 PM
PeterL

"gman99" wrote in message
anonymous wrote:
Claim Guy wrote:

We've got Americans coming up here in droves for prescription drugs

and flu
vaccines and we are supposed to envy the US system.

and we've got canadian subjects coming down here in droves to get health
care they can't wait months to get.

Droves ??? hardly....yes, wait times are high but the treatment is still
FREE.

What good is free treatment if it's too late? If you want free you'd have
to wait, if you want fast you'd have to pay. Besides it's not free anyway,
your high taxes pay for it.

Nothing is perfect, or even close to it. There is no free lunch. Neither
country has the magic formula.

Old October 21st, 2004, 07:25 PM
gman99

"PeterL" wrote:
"gman99" wrote in message
anonymous wrote:
Claim Guy wrote:

We've got Americans coming up here in droves for prescription
drugs
and flu
vaccines and we are supposed to envy the US system.

and we've got canadian subjects coming down here in droves to get
health care they can't wait months to get.

Droves ??? hardly....yes, wait times are high but the treatment is
still FREE.

What good is free treatment if it's too late? If you want free you'd
have to wait, if you want fast you'd have to pay. Besides it's not free
anyway, your high taxes pay for it.

Many states have taxes as high or higher WITHOUT any of the benefits.
People are waiting for NON-critical operations...hip replacements, joint
replacements..etc. People are NOT dying on a table waiting for a critical
organ transplant unless a suitable donor organ isn't found which isn't the
fault of wait times. They're not coming into an ER with a heart attack and
being told to wait....

Old October 21st, 2004, 07:37 PM
PeterL

"gman99" wrote in message
"PeterL" wrote:
"gman99" wrote in message
anonymous wrote:
Claim Guy wrote:

We've got Americans coming up here in droves for prescription
drugs
and flu
vaccines and we are supposed to envy the US system.

and we've got canadian subjects coming down here in droves to get
health care they can't wait months to get.

Droves ??? hardly....yes, wait times are high but the treatment is
still FREE.

What good is free treatment if it's too late? If you want free you'd
have to wait, if you want fast you'd have to pay. Besides it's not free
anyway, your high taxes pay for it.

Many states have taxes as high or higher WITHOUT any of the benefits.

Are you sure? Including the entire tax burden?

People are waiting for NON-critical operations...hip replacements, joint
replacements..etc.

Well, if you are in pain from hip or joint problems, it's critical. Who
decides what is and what is not critical?

People are NOT dying on a table waiting for a critical
organ transplant

If those "non-critical" health services are not available in a timely
manner, then eventually it becomes a critical health problem.

unless a suitable donor organ isn't found which isn't the
fault of wait times. They're not coming into an ER with a heart attack and
being told to wait....

I think most of us don't want to be in the ER. We want to have our health
problems taken care of in a timely manner, so that we don't end up in the
ER.

Old October 21st, 2004, 09:13 PM
TNSAF

anonymous wrote:
Claim Guy wrote:

We've got Americans coming up here in droves for prescription drugs

and flu
vaccines and we are supposed to envy the US system.

and we've got canadian subjects coming down here in droves to get
health care they can't wait months to get.

There are thousands of "Snowbirds" (mostly elderly Canadians) who winter in
the US and as such require healthcare while there... We have Auto and
Workers insurance companies who will opt to send an injured person south to
jump a cue and save a few thousand dollars per case (I have not heard of
this happening too much lately.) But for the most part what you are hearing
is PR from those in your country who have billions to loose if your system
is changed...

The fact still remains infant mortality is considerably lower and life
expectancy higher in Canada, two facts that indicate we Canadians are
getting excellent health care.

Could it be better - YES.

Would I opt for a US style - HELL NO!