living in europe

Old September 19th, 2005, 07:17 PM
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

The Reids wrote:

Following up to Mxsmanic

The fastest way to obtain the right to live in Europe is to marry a
European national.

are you offering, Mixi? This could be a way forward for you.

But Mixi is an American ex-pat - even with a residence
permit, I don't think that qualifies, does it?

In the UK, it wouldn't make a difference(*). I would have thought that
was the case in France too. Isn't it?

(*) It would only make a difference for applying for citizenship- i.e.
you usually have to wait for 5 years of legal residence, but it becomes
3 if you're married, or from this December, in a same-sex Civil
Partnership.

--
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
photos at http://homepage.mac.com/davidhornecomposer
Old September 19th, 2005, 07:22 PM

amy radcliff wrote:
I am seriously considering moving to Europe (from the States). The
problem is of course the details--its overwhelming all the questions
that emerge. Could anyone recommend a place to get started? A
website devoted to Americans emigating, a book, etc? Any help
appreciated.

If it matters, employment is not a huge problem...I'm more interested
in questions of residency status, tax issues (do I pay taxes there or
in the States, for instance), qualifying for health care, and so on...
again, any help gratefully recieved.

Bulgaria is cheap.

Old September 19th, 2005, 07:27 PM

Juliana L Holm wrote:

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

And if you don't want to be recognized as being American,
you'd have to keep your mouth shut for the entire trip!
It's the accent, not the wardrobe - although I have been
asked if I were English, a few times. (Apparently the
difference between an English and an American accent are not
quite so obvious to French and German-speakers as they are
to Yanks and Brits.)

I want to be recognized as an American. For one thing, I want the extra
leeway that you get as an American when you speak a language pretty good, but
not perfect. Same as I give non-native English speakers. Everyone makes
mistakes, and I know I will, but I'd be terrified to speak if I thought
everyone would hate me for my mistakes!

But if someone is going to hate you for making language mistakes, they
won't hate you any less because you're an American. IOW, it will be
probably be obvious you're not a native speaker. If you can speak the
language "pretty good" why would you worry about someone hating you for
a few mistakes? I really wouldn't waste your time worrying about making
an impression on that kind of person anyway- there are few on the
ground.

Plus I think I am very different from what people expect from an American.

What do people in Europe expect from an American?

see myself as a citizen of the world as much as a U.S. Citizen. I strive to
keep up with non-american world news (and yes, from non-american news sources
where I can.) I really want people I meet to know that there is a different
side to the United States, and not judge us monolithically.

Europeans don't generally judge Americans monolithically though.

Old September 19th, 2005, 07:53 PM
Terry Richards

"amy radcliff" wrote in message

I am seriously considering moving to Europe (from the States). The
problem is of course the details--its overwhelming all the questions
that emerge. Could anyone recommend a place to get started? A
website devoted to Americans emigating, a book, etc? Any help
appreciated.

We moved to rural France about 18 months ago. You can read about it he
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/terryr999/MoveIndex.htm. Since then, we have met a
few Americans (I am English but lived in the USA for 24 years, my wife is
American). All further comments apply to France but most of Europe will be
similar.

If it matters, employment is not a huge problem...I'm more interested
in questions of residency status,

No problem if you can show a reasonable income.

tax issues (do I pay taxes there or
in the States, for instance),

Both I'm afraid. But you get to deduct the taxes you pay in France on your
US return and there's a big tax-free allowance. In practice, you probably
won't pay any taxes in the USA and French income taxes are extremely low.
The big bite in France is the social charges which are paid by your employer
if you are employed but are hefty if you are self-employed.

qualifying for health care, and so on...

If you are working, you qualify. If not, you have to pay. It's based on a
your last two years' income (on a sliding window). We pay 80 Euros (about
$100) a quarter which covers us for 70% of most things (excluding dentist &
optician). You can buy top-up insurance quite reasonably depending on how
much extra coverage you want.

again, any help gratefully recieved.

Please feel free to e-mail.

T.

Old September 19th, 2005, 09:01 PM
Juliana L Holm

Magda wrote:
... On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 20:09:01 +0200, Mxsmanic
... wrote:
... Age is not an impediment to the acquisition of additional languages.
... Yes it is. Younger people learn much more readily than older people.

No, it is not.

If you really buy this urban legend, I pity you - in a few years you'll think you are "too
old" for many things.

I'm 49 and headed to Germany for two months of language training. A couple
months ago there was a report in the Washington Post about older folks learning
language.

It is true that we learn language differently than children do, but not at all
true that we don't learn as well.

indeed, learning throughtout life seems to be the most reliable way to decrease
your chance of getting Alzheimers!

--
Julie
**********
Old September 19th, 2005, 09:07 PM
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and

B Vaughan wrote:

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 19:07:54 +0100,
(chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and prestwich tesco 24h
offy) wrote:

Once you become a legal resident in the EEA, you will typically be
eligible to use the health service in the country where you reside. (Is
there any EEA country where this doesn't apply, out of interest?)

The UK NHS is a good case in point. When you move here, you register
with a local health centre, and are usually appointed a specific doctor.
You're asked simply for your address. Even foreign students can benefit
from this. When I moved back to the UK after over a decade in the US,
all I had to do was say where I lived. Same thing with my partner when
he moved here from the US. IOW, there was no 'test' as to the right to
live in the country.

In Italy, you have to be on the books in your town to register for the
national health service. This means you have to be a legal resident,
or else you can't get on the books. There are other services for
tourists and illegal immigrants, such as special clinics, but they are
not ubiquitious.

It probably does vary from country to country how they deem who is
elible for services. There has been some talk in the UK towards similar
moves, but I think they are ultimately counter-productive. If you don't
treat someone who is not resident as earlier on, it will become more
expensive later on.

Old September 19th, 2005, 09:39 PM
Runge

ask the evleths
They are immigrants from your third world country and it seems they can't
adapt to their new home...
The've been ONCE in the banlieue and apart from the touristy parts of Paris
where most people are english speaking, there's not much else !
So you see, it's not so easy as that, think again.