What kind of game is Orbitz playing?

Old April 16th, 2011, 12:13 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
stonej

Default What kind of game is Orbitz playing?

I'm searching for a round trip flight to Washington DC on certain
dates, the other search engines are showing the
same fare on this certain airline but Orbitz has the same flight on
the same airline for $200+ more than the others.

It looks to me like they have a contract to promote another airlines
flights and are making up a higher fare on
others to drive business one way.
Old April 16th, 2011, 01:45 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
tim....

"stonej" wrote in message
I'm searching for a round trip flight to Washington DC on certain
dates, the other search engines are showing the
same fare on this certain airline but Orbitz has the same flight on
the same airline for $200+ more than the others.

It looks to me like they have a contract to promote another airlines
flights and are making up a higher fare on
others to drive business one way.

ISTM that they don't provide you with the best prices and the solution is to
use another search engine.

tim

Old April 17th, 2011, 07:46 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Graham Harrison[_3_]

"tim...." wrote in message

"stonej" wrote in message
I'm searching for a round trip flight to Washington DC on certain
dates, the other search engines are showing the
same fare on this certain airline but Orbitz has the same flight on
the same airline for $200+ more than the others.

It looks to me like they have a contract to promote another airlines
flights and are making up a higher fare on
others to drive business one way.

ISTM that they don't provide you with the best prices and the solution is
to use another search engine.

tim

I'd agree but, in an attempt to explain what's going on I would tell you
that airlines do deals with some (but by no means all) travel agencies. So
it may be your airline doesn't choose to offer Orbitz the best deal.

Old April 20th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Dorothy456 Dorothy456 is offline
Banned

wHAT aRE yOU tALKING aBOUT . aRE yOU TALKING aBOUT aIRLAIN tICKET oR game is Orbitz playing ?
Old April 22nd, 2011, 06:58 AM
harryoung harryoung is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonej View Post
I'm searching for a round trip flight to Washington DC on certain
dates, the other search engines are showing the
same fare on this certain airline but Orbitz has the same flight on
the same airline for $200+ more than the others.

It looks to me like they have a contract to promote another airlines
flights and are making up a higher fare on
others to drive business one way.

It is not like that you always get the best deal from a particular site. You have to research and do comparative analysis and finally select the suitable deal that best fits your schedule and budget. You can try with various other sites like Expedia and many more.