First new york holiday

Old January 8th, 2004, 09:10 PM
Tony

Default First new york holiday

Hi

I am coming to NYC for 6 days at the end of april. Its a special
occasion for me and the wife so any suggestions for a day and evening
would be great. also I have 2 teenage kids, are there are larged room
pol friendly hotels.

Thanks

Tony
Old January 10th, 2004, 03:17 AM
Englishmum

A good place to stay would be the new "Embassy Suites Hotel" at Battery
Park City just one block from the World Trade Center site, next to the
River Hudson and opposite New Jersey. You can walk to the ferries for
Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty, South Street Seaport & shops
(similar to Covent Garden), nearby parks, the Wall St financial district
and easy access on foot to Chinatown, Little Italy, SoHo etc. It's a
great location and friends of my sister who stayed there said that the
hotel is very spacious (unlike most NYC hotel rooms which are usually
very small) and superbly appointed. Of interest to teenagers there is
also an 11-screen cinema adjacent (films usuallycome out in the US
before they do in the UK) and a large sports centre in the hotel (but
not a pool - just like London few hotels in NYC actually have a pool as
property prices per square foot are astronomical in Manhatten).

The concierge at the hotel can advise on the nearest place for public
swimming baths - but to be honest, it's really not essential to have a
pool when in New York for just a few days.

You can get unbiased reviews of the "Embassy Suites Hotel" or virtually
any NYC, US or Canadian hotel at this website if you type in the hotel
name and city: http://www.tripadvisor.com

As for things to do then I guess you could take your wife to see a
Broadway show on her birthday or for a nice meal at a trendy restuarant
(but you will need to book ahead for a popular place in NYC. Some
popular restuarents are fully booked for weeks beforehand - plus if you
arrive more than 15 mins late you've lost your table as you're deemed a
'no-show'). Good places with great reputations and wonderful food
include Balthazar, the Redeye Grill, Gramercy Tavern, Union Square Cafe,
Le Cirque 2000, Becco....too many to list here. You can get ideas of
what's on he

http://www.timeoutny.com

http://www.nycvisit.com

http://www.opentable.com ( This is a *free of charge*
direct booking with most of the top/popular NYC restaurants. Just do
some googling for the names of some of the restaurants in NY and you
will see reviews - the Zagat guide is like a 'bible' for eating out in
NY and is online.

Enjoy!

Old January 11th, 2004, 07:30 PM
Brian K

On 01/08/2004 4:10 PM Tony plucked Senior Frog's Magic Twanger and said:

Hi

I am coming to NYC for 6 days at the end of april. Its a special
occasion for me and the wife so any suggestions for a day and evening
would be great. also I have 2 teenage kids, are there are larged room
pol friendly hotels.

Thanks

Tony

In New York, as with any major tourist destination, the larger the
hotel room - the greater the cost. There are family friendly hotels in
New York. But, I don't know what you mean by Pol Friendly? Polish?
Political? Polly as in Parrot? Polished

--
________
To email me, Edit "xt" from my email address.

Old January 22nd, 2004, 08:13 PM
Norma

Tony - as one Brit to another it's ok.
Rooms are fine, servce too. Food great and cheaper than home. Go to Empire
St. Build'g on day 1, you'll get all the gen you need on the groundfloor
desk, also hotel staff are very helpful. Have fun, best wishes, Norlin.
om...