Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel to NYC

Old August 26th, 2009, 04:14 AM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
Peter T. Daniels[_2_]

Default Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel to NYC

On Aug 25, 6:25*pm, SMS wrote:
Peter T. Daniels wrote:
And the $13.50 saved is approximately equal to the Statue of Liberty
Ferry ticket, and a lot less than the South Street Seaport admission.
MoMA, Whitney, and Guggenheim all also ask $18-$20. (The Guggenheim is
pay-what-you-wish on Saturday evening.)

What does one have to do with the other?

It was a response to Joseph's recommendation that they turn around and
spend their entire savings from the discount on a single tourist
activity.
Old August 26th, 2009, 06:44 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
ATM

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in message
As has been stated somewhere in this thread, there are both daily and
weekly "Unlimited" cards (which can be used by only one person at a
time) (also monthly ones).

Thank you.

Old August 26th, 2009, 06:50 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
slim

On 2009-08-24 22:14:06 -0400, Miles Bader said:

(Steven M. O'Neill) writes:
My son and I rode the PATH train 2 weekends ago. I was
chagrined to learn that you can no longer just plunk your spare
change in the turnstile machines, but rather have to first go
to the card machine and then get a single-use paper card which
instantly becomes garbage.

If implemented well, that kind of system probably speeds things up on
average -- but being America, I suspect it isn't implemented very
well...

Hong Kong had thier "Octopus" system up and running for for twelve years now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octopus_card

Its a proven technology that the various transit mavens in NYC refuse
to look at.

Better to **** away tens of millions of dollars on constultants than
use something that works.

--
"A nickel isn't worth a dime today." - Y. Berra

Old August 26th, 2009, 06:52 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
ATM

"Joseph D. Korman" wrote in message

7-Day Unlimited Ride MetroCard
Cost: $27, reduced fare $13.50
Good for unlimited subway and local bus rides until midnight, 7 days from
day of first use.

May be a few more years before we can qualify the senior reduce fare.

Old August 26th, 2009, 06:53 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
slim

On 2009-08-24 17:23:01 -0400, "Peter T. Daniels"

said:

I made a trip from Newark to 33rd while the WTC station was close

d,
direct with no transfer. *It took 50 minutes.

So that means they would have to burn two hours a day getting to/f

ro
the hotel.

Thats no bargain.

So who is suggesting they stay in Newark

There are many fancy hotels in "the new downtown" Jersey City, one
stop, 5 minutes, from WTC.

That is the time for the ride, but the trip has to be considered
"door-to-door".

You make it sound like its 5 minutes from the hotel (which could cos

just as much as one in the city) to WTC.

I guess you've never walked out the main entrance of the Hyatt and
crossed the street to the Exchange Place PATH entrance.

Thats right. I never have.

It it still takes longer than 5 minutes from the Hyatt to WTC. ;-)

Only if you include the time you wait on the platform for the train to
come.

Not exactly. What about the time getting down to and back up from the tra

in?

Negligible.

And that time isn't counted in journey time anyway.

OK....so if I have a twenty minute walk to the train, a twenty minute
train ride, and a ten minute walk to my job, "my journey time" would be
twenty minutes? LOL! OK....if you say so. ;-)

--
"A nickel isn't worth a dime today." - Y. Berra

Old August 26th, 2009, 06:57 PM posted to nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
slim

On 2009-08-25 19:42:15 -0400, Brian said:

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 02:32:42 -0700, SMS
wrote:

Very bad idea what you're trying to do. Between the cost of the
transit, and the amount of time it takes, you won't save much, if any,
money. Also, when visiting Manhattan, it's often the case that you want
to go back to the hotel in the middle of the day, take a rest, then go
back out at night. If you have to travel back to Queens or NJ, you
won't do that.

And depending on what they want to do in the evening, they might want
to shower and change although I was surprised by what people wore to
Broadway shows even on Sat. evenings.
The standard of dress seems to be declining rapidly. It had been a
couple of years since we had stayed in Manhattan.

Its sad to say, but the Ugly American has come to Broadway and beyond.

Flip-flops, ugly shorts, and tees are seen everywhere in the Tourist Zones.

Americans no longer have any sense of for what is appropriate clothing
these days.

--
"A nickel isn't worth a dime today." - Y. Berra

Old August 26th, 2009, 07:01 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
ATM

"Slim" wrote in message

Have you considered any of the Affinia properties in Manhattan proper?

www.affinia.com

Yes, Slim. For Oct 26 to 31 (to avoid Halloween and NY Marathon), Affinia
Manhattan 3 star at W54@Broadway is $180 per night. But our daughters stayed
there this July for a week, and they told us this hotel is not clean and
quite filthy.

Old August 26th, 2009, 07:05 PM posted to nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
ATM

"Brian" wrote in message
And depending on what they want to do in the evening, they might want
to shower and change although I was surprised by what people wore to
Broadway shows even on Sat. evenings.
The standard of dress seems to be declining rapidly. It had been a
couple of years since we had stayed in Manhattan.

Brian, we wish to go to the "Wicked" Broadway play, at Gershwin Theatre?
What is the dress code? What day of week and show time to get good priced
ticket and less crowed?

Old August 26th, 2009, 08:30 PM posted to nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
Peter T. Daniels[_2_]

On Aug 26, 2:05*pm, "ATM" wrote:
"Brian" wrote in message

And depending on what they want to do in the evening, they might want
to shower and change although I was surprised by what people wore to
Broadway shows even on Sat. evenings.
The standard of dress seems to be declining rapidly. It had been a
couple of years since we had stayed in Manhattan.

Brian, we wish to go to the "Wicked" Broadway play, at Gershwin Theatre?
What is the dress code? What day of week and show time to get good priced
ticket and less crowed?

There's no such thing as a good-priced ticket to a Broadway show!

Even Wicked, which is several years old, probably mostly sells out in
advance, so you should get your tickets _now_. Matinees (usu. Wed,
Sat, Sun) are usually cheaper than evenings; Fri and Sat evenings may
be higher than weeknights.

People wear whatever to the theater. The air conditioning is usually
very effective. Almost no theaters have elevators, so if steps are a
concern, you're constrained to orchestra seats.

If you're less picky about which show(s) you see, you should go to the
TKTS booth in Times Square and line up (the line is long but moves
quickly) for "half"-price tickets to any Broadway or Off-Broadway show
that's not sold out (and various other events, too). Tix for that
evening go on sale at 3 pm (matinees I think at 11 am). There are
electronic scoreboards showing what's available -- but you better know
exactly what you want (and have 2nd and 3rd choices ready to go), and
have your cash/credit card out, when you get to the window!