Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel to NYC

Old August 30th, 2009, 02:55 AM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
Phil[_10_]

Default Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel to NYC

On 2009-08-28 11:48:43 -0400, Phil said:

On Aug 27, 9:25*pm, Brian wrote:
On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 13:56:59 -0700 (PDT), Phil
wrote:

If the traffic is right, you can get from midtown to the WTC in five
minutes.

And if it isn't, which is often the case?

Thirty-first and Seventh to the WTC is a quick ride on the West Side
Highway.

When there is no traffic.

How often is that?

More often than you tell the truth... or act maturely.

You made a definitive statement, yet you did not say WHEN the traffic is light.

I'll answer when you tell me where you got that story synopsis from.

Phil
Old August 30th, 2009, 03:03 AM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
Clark F Morris

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 16:09:54 -0700, "ARL"
wrote:

We are mature couple from San Francisco.
We are taking our vacation in New York City on October 26 to Nov 1.
Please recommend 3 star hotel that is near the subway stations in Queens or
Brooklyn or NJ that is reasonably priced?

We are considering to stay at the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel in
Weehawken, NJ on the Hudson.
But there is no MTA subway to that area, correct?
Everyday, we have to take the Waterway Ferry from the Lincoln Harbor
terminal to West 39th Street Midtown at $7.75 per person? How can we get
from this 39th Street Ferry Terminal to the MTA subway?

Thank you for your help.

There is a similar quality hotel (Hyatt I think) on the Hudson in
Jersey City close to the Exchange Place PATH station. At the cost of
a PATH fare each way, it is about a 10 minute ride to the World Trade
Center Station where there are a number of subway lines. It is a
slightly longer walk to the HBLRT station for those interested in
riding the light rail.
Old August 30th, 2009, 03:35 AM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
slim

wrote:

If the traffic is right, you can get from midtown to the WTC in fiv

minutes.

And if it isn't, which is often the case?

Thirty-first and Seventh to the WTC is a quick ride on the West Side
Highway.

When there is no traffic.

How often is that?

More often than you tell the truth... or act maturely.

You made a definitive statement, yet you did not say WHEN the traffic is

light.

I'll answer when you tell me where you got that story synopsis from.

Phil, I will not discuss your sick, prejudiced and perverted attempt at
a script here.

Please take it to the appropriate thread.

Thank you.

--
"A nickel isn't worth a dime today." - Y. Berra

Old August 30th, 2009, 11:57 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
Sancho Panza[_1_]

wrote:

[...]

For people who do not think that the Hudson River=Pacific Ocean, rewards
await.

"August 24, 2009
A HUDSON STATE OF MIND
Explore the urban waterfront via light rail, ferry
By PATRICIA McDANIEL
STAFF WRITER

Ispent many years of my life in Hudson County, living with my extended
family in Bayonne.

When I settled at the Shore, visits back to Bayonne were made via the usual
route - the Garden State Parkway to the Turnpike to exit 14A.

But when a dear aunt passed away unexpectedly last year, I found myself
needing to make more trips up north than were usual for me.

When necessary, I drove to Bayonne. But a combination of high gas prices and
what seems to have become a speed-or-get-off-the-road mentality on the
Parkway forced me to seek an alternate route.

It was time to check out the light rail system I heard was established along
the old Central Jersey Railroad right-of-way.

I've always taken the NJ Transit North Jersey Coast Line train from Elberon
or Long Branch to get to New York or to visit relatives in Secaucus. Surely,
I thought, I can connect somewhere from the train line to this light rail
system.

So, I began a bit of a public transportation odyssey. And it's been so
rewarding: I not only developed a greater appreciation for Hudson County,
but my family and I also enjoyed a city-based summer vacation during which
we could leave the car at home.

Hudson-Bergen Light Rail

On one trip to Bayonne, I took the local train north to Newark. I went
across the platform and took the PATH train, assuming I could pick up the
light rail I needed at Journal Square. But not so, a PATH conductor told me.
He recommended staying on the PATH to Exchange Place and going outside the
station to the light rail stop.

So I went a couple of stops more, got off and took the steep Exchange Place
escalator to the exit.

As I left the PATH station, I was met with one of the most incredible sights
any traveler could see - The New York City skyline rising out of the Hudson
River. On a clear April day, it seemed to me like the most invigorating view
in the world.

Then, I turned around to see Jersey City behind me. Its skyline was quite
impressive, too: The business district I was in was almost futuristic -
streets were clean, glassy high-rise buildings reflected the sun and the
area was bustling with people. Commuters, students and families were either
walking to the nearby water taxis, taking the bus, bicycling or getting on
the light rail that indeed was just a short walk from the PATH station.

So, I bought a ticket and had it validated at a box on the platform - a MUST
if you don't want to get a hefty fine from the ticket checkers - and I got
on the next train going to Bayonne, designated as "22nd Street."

The light rail trains are so quiet, clean and modern, it was a pleasure to
sit down and enjoy the view. The windows are large, giving the train the
feel of an observation car. The train made its way south, hugging the street
past condos and restored brownstones whose stoops you could almost touch,
you were so close to them.

There are several stops along the route, including one for Liberty Science
Center. I was bound for Bayonne, however, so I stayed on the train and was
able to get off just blocks away from my destination. The route also extends
north to Hoboken and Port Imperial, where there are ferries to New York. The
northern end of the line ends at Tonnelle Avenue in North Bergen.

Summer vacation in Jersey City

One place I noticed when I first emerged from the Exchange Place PATH
station was a Hyatt hotel just a few steps away.

My family and I had just stayed at a Hyatt in Washington that spring and
enjoyed it, so I decided to check it out. The Hyatt Regency Jersey City is
right on the Hudson. When I went to the lobby, surrounded on three sides by
fantastic New York City views, I was sold on staying there for a vacation.

Then, I looked at the hotel rates and was almost stopped in my
vacation-planning tracks. Rates during the week were pricey, nearing $300
per night or more. But I found that weekends - Friday-, Saturday- and
Sunday-night stays, could be had for $199 - a little better. Then I inquired
about and received a $20 discount - the chain honors various club discounts.
So for $179 per night, at 2008 rates, we had a room with a view of the water
(and nighttime fireworks along the Hudson) and access to the hotel's pool
and gym. There was an excellent, if pricey, hotel restaurant, as well as
other nearby restaurants. (The hotel provides a list of those.)

Our three days went quickly, but they were packed with touring accomplished
entirely by water and rail. In fact, it's advisable to travel there in
warmer weather so you can enjoy the ferry transportation.

Our itinerary in brief:

South Street Seaport: We arrived at the Hyatt on Friday afternoon and took
one of the speedy water taxis (which were only running weekdays) near our
hotel to South Street Seaport. We ate on the plaza, toured the South Street
Seaport Museum and sailing ships, such as The Peking, that have been open to
the public there for decades.

On a warm Friday night, the area thronged with people out for dinner or
shopping and having a nautical good time - aided by cold beers and sea
chantys.

Ellis Island: Saturday we spent at Ellis Island. We took the light rail to
the Liberty Science Center stop, got the shuttle bus (the state definitely
can put more of those on duty in the summer - these were packed) and headed
out. The first stop is the Liberty Science Center itself. Then the bus takes
passengers to Statue Cruises at the old Central Jersey Railroad terminal for
trips to Ellis Island or the Statue of Liberty. Note: Tickets can be bought
in advance. Plus, there are strict security checks made here before boarding
the ferries. Another important note - the shuttle bus runs weekends all
year, but only weekdays April through December.

Once on the water, the scenery again couldn't be better. We chugged past the
Statue of Liberty and got off at Ellis Island, which I had never visited.
The ferry schedule permitted a long-enough time to check out all exhibits at
the Ellis Island museum, which, as the granddaughter of Polish immigrants, I
found fascinating. There also was time for lunch at a fine cafeteria with
outdoor seating with, again, those ever-present skyline views.

It's well worth your time to listen to a documentary and National Parks
System ranger talk about the island's history - and about how it was almost
lost to the public for private development.

Ground Zero: On Sunday, we visited the site of the World Trade Center. We
took a brief PATH ride from the nearby Exchange Place station and emerged
near Ground Zero. We had purchased tickets in advance through the Tribute
WTC Visitor Center for a walking tour of the site. The center - a project of
the September 11 Families' Assocation, tells the stories of that day and of
the people who endured the tragedy through "person-to-person" history.

The walking tour - led for us by a Sept. 11 survivor who also was a Vietnam
veteran - was, for me, the highlight of the trip. My husband and I and my
son - in first grade the day of the attacks - heard our guide's own story
and that of others who survived that day. The tour around the site shows the
rebuilding task that lies ahead.

My tour there also brought back thoughts of my Aunt Olga, who was a patent
law secretary for most of her life and worked on Wall Street and other
offices in the financial district. I remember her stories of the World Trade
Center as it was going up, and still have the pictures she took of it during
its construction. I also saw it grow from my vantage point uptown in
Greenwich Village when I was in college. And now, during our visit, it was
my son's turn to learn of its rise and fall.

My family agreed our trip to Jersey City and environs was one of our best -
and we left for home on the train, filled with new Hudson memories."

And the pictures at app.com are quite excellent, too.
And there are even details about the Hyatt promotion:

"Hyatt is currently running a "Three for Free" promotion to help travelers
make the most of their quick weekend getaways. The offer includes three free
rewards for guests - a free room night (based upon a minimum length of
stay), room upgrade and full American breakfast for two daily at select
Hyatt Resorts from Sept. 8 through Dec. 18. More information is available at
www.Hyatt3ForFree.com."

Old August 31st, 2009, 12:42 AM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
Michael Finfer

wrote:

[...]

The ride takes about three minutes (it's only about a mile), plus
waiting time, which is minimal during peak hours.

Michael Finfer
Bridgewater, NJ
Old August 31st, 2009, 04:06 AM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
Brian[_1_]

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 11:45:46 -0700 (PDT), Phil
wrote:

More often than you tell the truth... or act maturely.

Phil

I don't know either of you but traffic can vary greatly. Telling
someone there wouldn't be a problem isn't at all helpful.

Old August 31st, 2009, 04:15 AM posted to nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
Brian[_1_]

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 12:47:00 -0700, "ATM"
wrote:

Thank you Brian,
Last week (Aug 17-23) this site BROADWAY list is:
9 TO 5: THE MUSICAL
ALFRED HITCHCOCK'S THE 39 STEPS
AVENUE Q
BURN THE FLOOR
CHICAGO
HAIR
IN THE HEIGHTS
MAMMA MIA!
MARY POPPINS
NEXT TO NORMAL
ROCK OF AGES
SHREK THE MUSICAL
SOUTH PACIFIC
THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA

No Wicked.

That will be a difficult one. I wanted to see it with Kristen
Chenowith but was outvoted by my wife and daughter.

My wife and I saw 39 Steps last month and really liked it. I wasn't
sure if she would like it but she did. It's quirky and funny.

We also saw Phantom. And we've seem Mama Mia and chicago a couple of
years ago.

I also saw Hair in the first incarnation which gives an idea of how
old I am. G
Old August 31st, 2009, 04:19 AM posted to nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
Steven M. O'Neill

Brian wrote:
No Wicked.

That will be a difficult one. I wanted to see it with Kristen
Chenowith but was outvoted by my wife and daughter.

My wife won't let me date Kristen Chenowith, either!

--
Steven O'Neill
Brooklyn, NY
Old August 31st, 2009, 12:10 PM posted to nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
Peter T. Daniels[_2_]

wrote:

Thank you Brian,
Last week (Aug 17-23) this site *BROADWAY list is:
9 TO 5: THE MUSICAL
ALFRED HITCHCOCK'S THE 39 STEPS
AVENUE Q
BURN THE FLOOR
CHICAGO
HAIR
IN THE HEIGHTS
MAMMA MIA!
MARY POPPINS
NEXT TO NORMAL
ROCK OF AGES
SHREK THE MUSICAL
SOUTH PACIFIC
THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA

No Wicked.

That will be a difficult one. I wanted to see it with Kristen
Chenowith but was outvoted by my wife and daughter.

That's ok -- she couldn't really handle the material. (Edina Menzel
was fantastic, though.) KC took a break for a week to do the NYPO's
concert performances + broadcast of Candide, and she was _way_ out of
her league in "Glitter and Be Gay."

Old August 31st, 2009, 02:40 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
Phil[_10_]

wrote:

More often than you tell the truth... or act maturely.

Phil

I don't know either of you but traffic can vary greatly. Telling
someone there wouldn't be a problem isn't at all helpful.

I said that, if the traffic is right, it could be done. That's all.
I didn't say it wouldn't be a problem.

Phil