TERRORIST ATTACK ON AIRPORT IN HAWAII

Old July 30th, 2004, 06:16 AM
Anonymous

Default DC Metro Interconnects

"Keith F. Lynch" wrote:

Brian Robinson OR Carol Goter Robinson OR Bill Robinson

wrote:
And on this secondary point, you are about the only person in the DC
area who considers stations like Franconia and Vandorn

pedestrian-friendly.

I assume Van Dorn is pedestrian friendly, but I'll admit I've never
been there. I've walked between the Franconia/Springfield station

and
Springfield mall about a dozen times, with no problem. I will admit
I did once get lost in the Greenbelt station's immense parking lot,
unable for half an hour to find any road that didn't lead either to
the Beltway or back to the station.

Van Dorn Street

Right across Eisenhower Avenue is a UPS depot, Alexandria Cities
incinerator and a little further north is a bunch of townhouses,
to the east on Eisenhower Avenue is a lot of light industry
warehouses. Both sides of Eisenhower Avenue have paved sidewalks
to the east all the way to oldtown.

Greenbelt

If you had gone further south along the access road you would have
ended up on Cherry Lane, To the right is a large garden apartment
complex, outside of the beltway is a United States District Court
and a number of office buildings. Going north down the pedestrian
tunnel that leads to the MARC platforms on the north side of the
CSX tracks is the Hollywood section of Collage Park.

If you want to see something that's pedestrian UNfriendly, I

recommend
walking the length of Prosperity Avenue in Fairfax County. Over
much of its length it's narrow, with heavy traffic, no sidewalks,
no shoulder, and either shrubs, fences, or a ditch keeping you from
cutting through people's yards. During heavy rain, part of it is
often under several feet of fast-moving debris-filled water.

It militates against your advocacy for more suburban metro coverage;
e.g. I've repeatedly cited the possibility of a Brown Line on the
original proposed route, extended to serve Annandale and loop around
to the north or south parallel to the Beltway; to no avail in terms
of positive feedback here.

I may not have commented on that specific proposal, but I've often
said there should be a Metro station within reasonable walking
distance of every point in the region.

Obviously if the one or two militant anti-car people in NOVA don't
want such a line it's not likely anyone else does, either.

I'm not anti-car. I'm pro-choice on transportation. I don't

believe
anyone should ever be forced into an absolute reliance on any one

mode.

... or like most tourists who DRIVE into DC (for the issue of
entering DC via outlying Metro stations would be moot otherwise;
logically, the recommendation to do so applies only to tourists who
are driving in. That said, you are right that it is a tax on these
people for not having the "sense" to go Greyhound.)

I figured most tourists arrive by Amtrak or by plane. Union Station
and National Airport are already on the Metro. Dulles and BWI are
finally acessible by a regular city bus. BWI is also on MARC and on
Baltimore's light rail.

And the main Greyhound terminal is adjacent to Union Station.

Sure, a tourist can bring his own car to DC, if he has one. He can
also bring his own stove to a restaurant. But both are foolish
choices.

The reality is that this requirement is the latest step in ensuring
that SmartTrip is so ubiquitous that it not only legitimizes its use
as a tracking tool,

And how can it be used as a tracking tool if people aren't required

register it? Sure, if they arrest you they can take your card and
find out where you've been. But the same is true with a regular
farecard, and always has been.

but legitimizes driving to the Metro station as the most popular
and acceptible way of utilizing the Metro system, further dragging
us down the road of a BART-like commuter system in the course of
government efforts to promote an entirely tangential homeland
security device (SmartTrip).

I'm not familiar with BART. How does it differ from DC's Metro?

You need to read the article cited in the Post (Sunday, Outlook).
They quoted a Mt. Pleasant restaurateur for his take on the rule in
question and that was the quoted directive (and not the first time
I've heard tell of it.)

Fortunately, he's not in charge. The police know better than to
arrest people for looking like they don't belong. They've been sued
enough times for the lesson to sink in.
--
Keith F. Lynch - http://keithlynch.net/

Ever wanted one of these John R Cambron
http://205.130.220.18/~cambronj/wmata/ or
Hebron MD USA

http://www.chesapeake.net/~cambronj/wmata/
--multiplaza.nl.nu--

Old July 30th, 2004, 06:16 AM
Anonymous

OK, as a long time DC Tourist, we always drive, it is much cheaper
than any
other way for 3 or 4 people. In addition we always use a "fringe"
hotel,
cheaper than downtown and no parking fee. Our current preferred
location
seem to be Tyson's Corner. There are a couple of Metro stations with
in
easy drive of the hotel complex out there. It seems to me that the
parking
is oriented towards commuters, no charge on a weekend, no pay after
10:00
pm. It is quite a long ride back out of town but it gets us off our
feet
for a while, not a bad thing after walking the Mall, etc for 6 or 7
miles
and supper.
Doug.
..

Old July 30th, 2004, 06:16 AM
Anonymous

wrote:
but legitimizes driving to the Metro station as the most popular
and acceptible way of utilizing the Metro system, further dragging
us down the road of a BART-like commuter system in the course of
government efforts to promote an entirely tangential homeland
security device (SmartTrip).

I'm not familiar with BART. How does it differ from DC's Metro?

I'm not sure about the salient differences, but as a one-time BART
commuter
(and a BART user as recently as three weeks ago) there's no problem
paying
with cash for a paper ticket just like DC Metro.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos and tales from around the world:
http://travel.u.nu