TERRORIST ATTACK ON AIRPORT IN HAWAII

Old July 30th, 2004, 06:16 AM
Anonymous

Default San Francisco Hotel Recommendations?

I stayed at the Chancellor Hotel in the Unions Square area of San
Francisco. This is a great family hotel. It is in the center of
everything. Shopping,. dining and theatres. I didn't need a car the
whole trip. The cable car stopped right in front of the hotel.
The Rooms
were a bit small but not cramped. It had a huge walk in closet with my
own iron and ironing board ( a PLus for me ) a personal safe and
umbrella. They also had a free pillow menu which i thought was a
marvelous idea. I chose the isotonic memory pillow VERY comfortable.
The
Bathroom had great amenities shampoo conditioner and bath salt. PLUS A
FREE RUBBER DUCKIE!!! I loved this hotel they always had fresh baked
cookies, coffee and tea in the lobby. Oh and the apples were delicious
highly reccommend this place the concierge was very helpful for my
whole
trip and the BAR was great very intimate.

--
Audiogeek

--multiplaza.nl.nu--

Old July 30th, 2004, 06:16 AM
Anonymous

Default Challenge to "car-free" kook

"Steve Austin" wrote in message
Can you put that in English, pal?

Austin:
At your request I made a translation for the non-Spanish readers. The
message was in soc.culture.colombia and I didn' look at the
crossposting.
Now I have to crosspost to all because nobody knows who Steve Austin
is.

------translation:
For many years I have been thinking that the car is more of a curse
than
anything else. It got rid of the corner store in favor of the
Supermarkets,
of the energy efficient public transportation in favor of the "one
car-one
driver", it made inevitable the wars for oil, many, from children to
old
folks, die in unwarranted accidents of all kinds, promotes people
living far
from the work places creating an abnormal socio-geographic
situations, we
are dying from obesity and lack of exercise, etc.

Today thanks to the computers we can do a lot of our work from our
home
and drastically reduce commuting. My first job was in a brewery in
Barranquilla, the company bus would pick su in the morning and take us
back
in the aftermoon. There was little parking problems at the company.
One
could use half an hour each way for reading time, instead of watching
crazy
people driving like crazy while you also drive as crazy. And do you
remeber
the first sacratch on your shining new car?. And the lost days beacuse
there
isn nothing to do while the car is in repairs. That is the dull life
the
automobile based capitalism has brought us to.

T.Schmidt
--multiplaza.nl.nu--

Old July 30th, 2004, 06:16 AM
Anonymous

Default DC Metro Interconnects

"Keith F. Lynch" wrote:
It seems to me that it would be far easier to fix this than to
extend tracks miles and miles into the exurbs or countryside.
Assuming the goal is to serve as much populated area as possible
as cheaply as possible.

Brian Robinson OR Carol Goter Robinson OR Bill Robinson
wrote:
No, the purpose is to serve customers, customers being drivers, good
citizens who have paid their dues for a MetroCard and the right to
be tracked by TIA in the future. Pedestrians are vagrants.

Huh? About half the stations don't have parking lots. All stations
are accessible to pedestrians. You can ride without a SmarTrip card.
And there's no requirement to register a SmarTrip card, in which case,
if you paid cash for it, all they are tracking is card number 214365,
and they have no idea what name goes with that card.

Oh yeah... no tourists or visitors or anyone who might have a
legitimate reason to drive to an outlying Metro station are allowed.
No more "drive to DC, park at Greenbelt, take the Metro to visit the
city..." SmartCard holders (car commuters) only!

SmarTrip cards won't be nandatory for people parking at Metro stations
until there are SmarTrip card dispensers at every Metro station
parking lot. Yes, it's an annoyance that tourists will have to pay an
*extra* five dollars. Once. But that's far from saying they're not
allowed. Also, if I'm reading the press release correctly, parking
will remain free on weekends, implying that no SmarTrip card is
required then.

If anything, it sounds like they're trying to *discourage* people from
parking at Metro stations, and would prefer that people get to them on
foot, by bike, or by bus.

Mt. Pleasant, one of the most liberal neighborhoods in the country,
ANC just passed a law asking the police to detain and question
"persons of a suspicious character... who don't look like they
belong" in a given area. According to Washpost.

The closest thing I can find to that on their website is:

... the District's Mt. Pleasant neighborhood, where the five-member
Advisory Neighborhood Commission narrowly adopted a resolution, 3
to 2, asking the police to take aim at everything from assaults and
animal cruelty to littering, double parking, even cursing. ...

That may be unreasonable, but it's far from stopping and questioning
people who are just walking on the sidewalk.
--
Keith F. Lynch - http://keithlynch.net/
--multiplaza.nl.nu--