Alaska Cruise

Old March 16th, 2004, 05:03 PM
davey watts

Default Alaska Cruise

Hi All,

Has anybody on this newsgroup been on an Alaska cruise like those run
through the inside passage etc.

If so could you share any experience you have about the cruise and if you
thought it was value for money. For your info i have never been on a cruise
before, but i am lead to believe in the adverts i see that the scenary you
see is spectacular.

Cheers
Dave.

Old March 20th, 2004, 12:00 AM
Grey McGown

would the Alaska Marine Highway System AHMS appeal to you? Look it up on
the internet. I would be glad to help you plan such a trip. We went
Bellingham to Juneau with side trip to Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm.

Old March 20th, 2004, 06:50 AM
Dennis P. Harris

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/index.html

Old March 31st, 2004, 02:24 AM
- Bobb -

Done it twice - only time I've cruised - because it makes it so easy to get
around up there.
Once in late August , once on an impulse in late May ( only 'cuz it was $499
for 7 days - like below)
Both times on Holland America. - 7 days (they have a 10 day trip too) - I
think they're all the same.
All the cruise ships are parked along the same dock for the same time.
New city every day but one, and then off the ship for the day.
The wildlife,scenery is awesome, spectacular, superlative etc....
Like others said - don't bother with a window - unless on a honeymoon and
you'll be bedroom bound for the trip -- check prices below
I also did a long trip report a while ago - search groups.google.com for
subject : Alaska username: bobb

Both times I did Anchorage to Vancouver. Some cruise lines / itineraries go
Vancouver - Vancouver. So it goes halfway and turns around. If you're going
"for the cruising", that's fine but I want the scenery so do a one way.

If money is no object, do it in late July /early August . Highest cost for a
reason - the icebergs are half-melted . glaciers are breaking,falling
ften - and lots of wildlife on them to see while sitting on the deck having
the drink of your choice. Sun out ~24 hours so whenever you want to
wake/sleep doesn;t matter.

I like fishing and went fishing every day at each port. There are lots of
side trips - they are NOT cheap, but how often do you even have a chnace, at
any price, for a helicopter ride over icebergs, or a seaplane to a remote
island to do flyfishing / salmon bake. Really do consider the side trips and
check out what's available before you go. I booked most of mine from home on
the second trip because unless it's an escorted bus tour (or something
similiar), there is a person limit to the offerings, so once the limit it
reached , it's then "sold out".
Here's an email I got from Holland America 2 weeks ago: In July it's more
like $1800 ppdo -- you'll love it

May 9 Statendam Vancouver to Anchorage $499 $599 $639 300
ADD two nights Anchorage $769 $969 $1,069 1031
ADD three night tour
(Tour 21:Anchorge, Denali, Fairbanks) $1,199 $1,399 $1,499 5
May 14 Ryndam Vancouver to Anchorage $529 $629 $669 300
ADD two nights Anchorage $799 $999 $1,099 1031
ADD three night tour
(Tour 21:Anchorge, Denali, Fairbanks) $1,229 $1,429 $1,529 5
May 16 Statendam Vancouver to Anchorage $499 $599 $639 300
ADD two nights Anchorage $769 $969 $1,069 1031
May 16 Veendam Anchorage to Vancouver $499 $599 $639 300
ADD two nights Anchorage $769 $969 $1,069 1031
ADD three night tour
(Tour 21:Anchorge, Denali, Fairbanks) $1,199 $1,399 $1,499 5

-------------------

"Mark Brader" wrote in message
Davey Watts:
Has anybody on this newsgroup been on an Alaska cruise like those run
through the inside passage etc.

Yeah, in 1994 my wife and I did one that went from Vancouver to Yakutat
Bay and back in 10-11 days, calling at different ports on the way up
and back.

If so could you share any experience you have about the cruise and if
you thought it was value for money.

We usually travel independently, and this was our first cruise (we've
done one more since then). Generally we were pleased with it. Being
in a group of 700 people traveling together rather than a group of 2
was somewhat constraining, but we went to places we could never have
seen independently. We were okay with the price of the ship, but found
it annoying that everything that wasn't included in the fare was

expensive.

I don't know what ships or lines are now operating in the area, but you
should be aware that there are real differences from one to another in
terms of the shipboard environment and atmosphere, and the passengers
you will be mixing with. Although the subject is on-topic here,
rec.travel.cruises is probably a better place to find people who might
advise you on that subject.

For your info i have never been on a cruise before, but i am lead to
believe in the adverts i see that the scenary you see is spectacular.

It's a very scenic area generally, and I think the best of the scenery
does indeed warrant the word "spectacular".

After the trip I wrote up an obsessively detailed 100Kbyte trip report
for email to some friends, which I still have online. I'm not going
to post it publicly, but if Davey wants to read it, he can email me
and I'll send a copy.
--
Mark Brader "I always hoped that when someone quoted me
Toronto it would be because I said something profound."

Old May 23rd, 2004, 05:35 PM
Edward Bertsch

can anyone recommend short (1-2 day) cruises that start and return in the
vicinity of anchorage? especially something that would be somewhat family
friendly? (2 kids under 7)

thanks one and all

Old May 23rd, 2004, 05:40 PM
jcoulter

"davey watts" wrote in
:

Hi All,

Has anybody on this newsgroup been on an Alaska cruise like those run
through the inside passage etc.

If so could you share any experience you have about the cruise and if
you thought it was value for money. For your info i have never been on
a cruise before, but i am lead to believe in the adverts i see that
the scenary you see is spectacular.

Cheers
Dave.

I have never met anyone who has not been satisfied with an Alaska cruise
and I have sold a lot of them. the scenery is fantastic especially if
you are not the type to rent a kayak and paddle up tracy arm by yourself
or some such adventure. For those who like the amenities of life and
fantastic scenery alaska while eating in the best restaurants in Alaska,
cruising is a great value.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 09:37 PM
Dave Smith

jcoulter wrote:

I have never met anyone who has not been satisfied with an Alaska cruise
and I have sold a lot of them. the scenery is fantastic especially if
you are not the type to rent a kayak and paddle up tracy arm by yourself
or some such adventure. For those who like the amenities of life and
fantastic scenery alaska while eating in the best restaurants in Alaska,
cruising is a great value.

Same here. I have not done it and personally am not likely to take a cruise
vacation, but I know several people who have taken cruise from Vancouver to
Alaska and they raved about the experience. They all reported the scenery
and the food to be incredible.

Old May 24th, 2004, 08:10 PM
John Chapman

As some have pointed out, rec.travel.cruises is where you want to
pursue this enquiry. We live in Vancouver, and it has been our good
fortune to take advantage of several AK cruise deals over the years,
including our first one with the kids when they were young. I love
cruising anywhere anytime, and would recommend a cruise as a luxurious
yet economical means of seeing a bit of our NW coast. The big draw is
the scenery along the way. Frankly, the small ports-of-call can be
shabby and over-commercialized (much like most of the Caribbean cruise
ports), as the locals shamelessly chase the tourist buck from the
thousands that are disgorged onto the dock every day during the
season. A slightly contrived and very short "wilderness experience"
in a plane or private boat will cost an arm and a leg, and is often
more cheaply arranged on shore than with the ship's excursion desk.
However, traveling in the north country (Canada or US) by other modes
can be expensive, time consuming and sometimes uncomfortable. There
is a awful lot to be said for enjoying the passing vistas from the
deck of an elegant cruise ship. Just my two cents. Cheers. JOHN
Old May 26th, 2004, 05:18 AM
eric h

In article ,
Bill Hilton wrote:

can anyone recommend short (1-2 day) cruises that start and return in the
vicinity of anchorage? especially something that would be somewhat family
friendly? (2 kids under 7)

Anchorage doesn't have a cruise port so you'll probably need to go from Seward.

Or from Whittier, which is significantly closer to Anchorage than Seward.
The disadvantage is that Whittier is a $20 toll to get there, and free
parking is impossible to find once you're there.

If time allows, you can drive to Valdez in a day and then get the ferry
back from Valdez to Whittier.

Closer in, you can get a short boat tour of Portage Glacier from Portage.
http://www.graylinealaska.com .

The Alaska Railroad operates a number of excursions that include short
cruises. http://www.akrr.com .

--
---
"Wake Up, Everybody."--McFadden/Whitehead/Carstarphen