Best candy stores in North America?

Old November 19th, 2005, 06:52 PM posted to alt.food,rec.travel.usa-canada

Default Best candy stores in North America?

I have begun to consider getting into the business of opening a great
all around candy store - lots of chocolates but also retro type candies
(chicken bones! bubble gum cigars), probably some other stuff I haven't
even though of. When I do this I want being in the store to be an
experience itself.

My question is what candy stores any where in Canada and the US are
really great, perhaps even worth visiting as I do my not altogether
unpleasant "research" for this prospective enterprise? I'm looking for
places that have great ambienece and great product lines (not chains).

Old November 19th, 2005, 07:30 PM posted to alt.food,rec.travel.usa-canada

Skookum wrote: My question is what candy stores any where in Canada
and the US are
really great, perhaps even worth visiting as I do my not altogether
unpleasant "research" for this prospective enterprise? I'm looking for
places that have great ambienece and great product lines (not chains).

The only candy stores that spring to mind are in tourist areas and
usually sell fudge and salt water taffy. However, I wouldn't consider
most of them anything special, but sometimes there are some interesting
and good variations. Of course, there are also other stores selling
traditional chocolates, not all of them chains. You could also expand
into cookies and ice cream.

Living now in Germany, there are some great shops that sell excellent
made in the store desserts (mainly cake-like items, tortes) and
chocolates. The excellent ones do a good business.

George

Old November 19th, 2005, 07:44 PM posted to alt.food,rec.travel.usa-canada

Well this one used to be my favourite but haven't been in it in years:

http://www.finditinhalifax.com/app/d...inpool%29.html

Old November 19th, 2005, 08:09 PM posted to alt.food,rec.travel.usa-canada

Funny you should mention the Candy Bowl because I lived in Halifax from
1968 to 1980 but hadn't thought about that delightful little place
until now. I always used to go down there for stocking stuffers.

Old November 19th, 2005, 08:11 PM posted to alt.food,rec.travel.usa-canada

"Skookum" wrote:
I have begun to consider getting into the business of opening a great
all around candy store... My question is what candy stores any where
in Canada and the US are really great, perhaps even worth visiting...
I'm looking for places that have great ambienece and great product
lines (not chains).

Its a chain and the ambience is questionable, but my wife insisted on
visiting the Hershey's store in Times Square twice in three days. :-)

Old November 19th, 2005, 09:07 PM posted to alt.food,rec.travel.usa-canada

Skookum wrote:

I have begun to consider getting into the business of opening a great
all around candy store - lots of chocolates but also retro type candies
(chicken bones! bubble gum cigars), probably some other stuff I haven't
even though of. When I do this I want being in the store to be an
experience itself.

My question is what candy stores any where in Canada and the US are
really great, perhaps even worth visiting as I do my not altogether
unpleasant "research" for this prospective enterprise? I'm looking for
places that have great ambienece and great product lines (not chains).

The most interesting one I know of in Canada is in Port Colborne Ont. It is
on West St., right along the canal. It has the greatest selection of
candies I have ever seen, and they carry their own line of chocolates.
Their main store is somewhere around Bracebridge.

Another nice one is Nigh's Chocolate in Stevensville (Fort Erie). A much
smaller cholatier is Sweet thoughts on Canboro Rd. in Ridgeville. Their
chocolates are wonderful.

Old November 20th, 2005, 03:18 AM posted to alt.food,rec.travel.usa-canada

To be blunt - Hershey's has to be the worst chocolate on Planet Earth.

Old November 20th, 2005, 03:28 AM posted to alt.food,rec.travel.usa-canada

wrote:
To be blunt - Hershey's has to be the worst chocolate on Planet Earth.

No argument. I prefer Godiva, myself. =R=

Old November 20th, 2005, 04:15 AM posted to alt.food,rec.travel.usa-canada

wrote:

To be blunt - Hershey's has to be the worst chocolate on Planet Earth.

I never did understand that stuff. I have no idea how it every became
popular.

Old November 20th, 2005, 04:38 AM posted to alt.food,rec.travel.usa-canada

In message .com
wrote:

To be blunt - Hershey's has to be the worst chocolate on Planet Earth.

Not at all. You can do much worse, not that you'd catch me eating
Hershey's by choice.

--
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.