Best candy stores in North America?

Old November 20th, 2005, 08:32 AM posted to alt.food,rec.travel.usa-canada

Default Best candy stores in North America?

On 11/19/2005 1:52 PM Skookum contemplated the inner meaning of Buffalo
Wings then said:
I have begun to consider getting into the business of opening a great
all around candy store - lots of chocolates but also retro type candies
(chicken bones! bubble gum cigars), probably some other stuff I haven't
even though of. When I do this I want being in the store to be an
experience itself.

My question is what candy stores any where in Canada and the US are
really great, perhaps even worth visiting as I do my not altogether
unpleasant "research" for this prospective enterprise? I'm looking for
places that have great ambienece and great product lines (not chains).

In the market there has been a decided move away from candy. It's a
tooth rotter that provides empty calories which only turn to fat if you
don't exercise a lot. Still there are adherents with the biggest
selling time being Valentine's Day.

If you can come up with a line of sugar free confections that don't
taste like they are sugar free that would be a real seller. For things
sweet I like to visit the local Italian gellato shop. While not fat
free gellato contains less fat than ice cream. Additionally, they make
sugar free gellato that tastes absolutely fantastic. Everything is made
on the site. I think there may be a franchise but I haven't noticed any
chains. I think keeping things small keeps the quality up. At this
gellato establishment they also dip fresh fruit in chocolate to order.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera

Old November 21st, 2005, 03:50 PM posted to alt.food,rec.travel.usa-canada

Yummies in Kittery, Maine: http://www.yummies.com/ They
advertise having over 10,000 pounds of candy on display.

Old November 21st, 2005, 10:09 PM posted to alt.food,rec.travel.usa-canada

I don't know if it's worth travelling out of your way to see, the the
Candy Aisle in Vancouver sells all kinds of old fashioned candy, as
well as imported stuff. They're extremely popular with all the Aussies
in town, because they carry Aussie chocolate/candy brands you can't get
elsewhere.

http://www.candyaisle.com

Old November 22nd, 2005, 04:41 AM posted to alt.food,rec.travel.usa-canada

In rec.travel.usa-canada wrote:
To be blunt - Hershey's has to be the worst chocolate on Planet Earth.

From a post of mine back in January in another newsgroup:

-begin-

"As for Dutch-process cocoa, I used to prefer it but I've developed a taste
for the pure non-alkalized stuff made by Ghirardelli and Hershey.

Of the two Ghirardelli cocoa tastes better but then it's more expensive.
Hershey's ain't bad.

I guess Hershey got the bad name from its low cocoa-containing chocolate bars
and candies over the years. But their non-Dutched cocoa is, well, cocoa and
contains less fat (about 10%) than the typical Dutch process Euro-cocoa (15 to
25%). Hershey's cocoa powder doesn't deserve the disdain it often receives.

Ghirardelli's unsweetened non-Dutched cocoa powder is a little tarter than
Hershey's cocoa, with - believe it or not - slightly sour undertones.
DELICIOUS!

These days I find Dutched cocoa (pretty much all they have in Europe) to be
sickly sweet, less chocolaty and much less complex in taste. 7-Up compared to
Champagne is too strong a comparison, but you get the idea. Blandifies the
stuff.

Euro bars are superior of course, but I'm talking cocoa powder here; different
animal; bars contain other things and sport varying amounts of cocoa butter
and solids, which affects their overall taste enormously.

My Method:

I acquaint myself with a new cocoa powder by scooping-up a rounded teaspoon
and carefully placing it in my mouth without breathing - the powder is easily
inhaled - and sipping a bit of cold water. I then roll, flap and twist - my
tongue.

The mix turns into a chocolate mud that I slip under my tongue, into my
cheeks, to the very back of my mouth and everywhere else. I'm breathing again,
and probably moaning a little.

That explosion of taste defies description. I'm not Byron, Joyce or even
Miroslav Holub. Forget it, I'm not even going there. Besides, I hate
pretentious wine-bores so I won't sully the cocoa experience with well-worn,
chintzy phrases.

But I will say that my method gives me an intimate introduction to a
particular cocoa's character.

(I'll sometimes add a little packet of sweetner to the mix, not really
necessary though)

A secondary effect is that it helps me concentrate on tasks for the next hour
and a half or two hours. Tertiary effect is that a sublime experience for
three minutes does wonders for mood-improvement. It's not sex, but you don't
get tired and you can start again right away.

So as you've probably guessed by now my tasting method is not just a way to
understand a particular new cocoa, it's also a way to practically mainline the
stuff.

Cocoa is underrated, misunderstood, and often mangled into ugly monstrosities.
But even then it's still chocolate. Nex"

-end-

So don't discount Hershey's so easily. Their unsweetened Cocoa powder is very
good. Nex
Old November 23rd, 2005, 08:07 PM posted to alt.food,rec.travel.usa-canada

--

"Skookum" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have begun to consider getting into the business of opening a great
all around candy store - lots of chocolates but also retro type candies
(chicken bones! bubble gum cigars), probably some other stuff I haven't
even though of. When I do this I want being in the store to be an
experience itself.

My question is what candy stores any where in Canada and the US are
really great, perhaps even worth visiting as I do my not altogether
unpleasant "research" for this prospective enterprise? I'm looking for
places that have great ambienece and great product lines (not chains).

There is a little Dutch store in St. Catharines, Ontario "Ramaker" most
candy is inported from The Netherlands

Old November 23rd, 2005, 09:59 PM posted to alt.food,rec.travel.usa-canada

Bob wrote:

My question is what candy stores any where in Canada and the US are
really great, perhaps even worth visiting as I do my not altogether
unpleasant "research" for this prospective enterprise? I'm looking for
places that have great ambienece and great product lines (not chains).

There is a little Dutch store in St. Catharines, Ontario "Ramaker" most
candy is inported from The Netherlands

They have a great selection of liquorice there, nice and fresh, but I just
can't get into that salty stuff.

Old November 24th, 2005, 06:15 AM posted to alt.food,rec.travel.usa-canada

In rec.travel.usa-canada Bob wrote:

There is a little Dutch store in St. Catharines, Ontario "Ramaker" most
candy is inported from The Netherlands

You sure it's not 'Rademaker'? They're famous for all sorts of Dutch candy,
especially their famous (and delicious) Hopjes (pronounced 'hopyus'), small
cubes of coffee candy.

Just googled it, it's Ramaker. Probably sell lots of Rademaker candies I'll
bet. And Haagelslag, and muisjes. MMnnn. Nex
Old November 25th, 2005, 03:12 AM posted to alt.food,rec.travel.usa-canada

I'm looking for places that have great ambienece...

Check out the candy store at Disneyland (and I presume there's one at
Disney World also) called the Candy Palace:

http://www.mouseplanet.com/more/mm040407lp.htm

A Google search will turn up numerous sites with photos of it, along
with other candy stores at Disneyland. And I suspect that other theme
parks also have nice candy stores that you might want to check out.

You also might want to research Hollywood movies that show candy shops.
They may be fictional, but they'd show idealized versions that might be
good sources of inspiration. I don't have a list, but I'm sure there
are dozens of childrens movies by Disney and others that have featured
candy shops.

Jim

Old November 29th, 2005, 07:52 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Skookum ) wrote:
: I have begun to consider getting into the business of opening a great
: all around candy store - lots of chocolates but also retro type candies
: (chicken bones! bubble gum cigars), probably some other stuff I haven't
: even though of. When I do this I want being in the store to be an
: experience itself.

: My question is what candy stores any where in Canada and the US are
: really great, perhaps even worth visiting as I do my not altogether
: unpleasant "research" for this prospective enterprise? I'm looking for
: places that have great ambienece and great product lines (not chains).

Not related to the company, beyond stopping by twice
on my trip this summer.

http://www.yeoldepeppercandy.com

From their website:

Ye Olde Pepper Candy Companie, America's Oldest Candy Company
The company with a little history in every bite.

Got a sweet tooth? Then you'll want to sample the mouth watering
confections manufactured by Ye Olde Pepper Companie of Salem,
Massachusetts, Americas Oldest candy company. The company is rich
in history and dates back to 1806, when an English woman Spencer
by name, was shipwrecked and landed in Salem in a rather destitute
condition.

Mrs. Spencer and her son made their home on Buffum Street and
did their best to survive during very difficult times. When
her neighbors learned that Mrs. Spencer knew how to make candy
they all got together and purchased for her a barrel of sugar.
Little did they know that this single act of kindness would
produce the "Salem Gibralter," said to be the first candy made
and sold commercially in America and carried around the world by
sea captains and their crew.

She first sold her candies from wood firkins on the steps of the
First Church, however, the candies became so popular that she
purchased a horse and wagon (displayed in the Peabody Essex
Museum) to peddle her confections dressed in the long attire
of the day with sunbonnet to shield her eyes, she sat proud
and straight in the open wagon guiding the horse to neighboring
towns, thus our horse and wagon logo.

When Mrs. Spencer died her son carried on the business until
about 1830, when he decided to return to England and the
company was then sold to a John William Pepper, under whose
leadership the company prospered for many years, adding items
to its catalogue such as the Black Jack (an all natural stick
candy made from black strap molasses).

During the late 1800's the first Burkinshaw went to work for
the Pepper Company as a candy maker and eventually met his
future wife there. Sometime around the turn of the century
the Burkinshaw family purchased the Pepper Company and all
their original recipes including the ones originated by
Mrs. Spencer herself. Both Mrs. Spencer and John Pepper maintained
the highest quality and standards for their confections.