A girl wants to hire me as her pretend boyfriend for a trip back to China to see her family. Scam?

Old May 7th, 2006, 03:40 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,soc.culture.china

Default A girl wants to hire me as her pretend boyfriend for a trip back to China to see her family. Scam?

I have heard of this type of thing before, one was really genuine...The
other was for more dubious reasons.If me I would not chance it....

shonk

Old May 7th, 2006, 03:57 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,soc.culture.china

wrote in message oups.com...
I have heard of this type of thing before, one was really genuine...The
other was for more dubious reasons.If me I would not chance it....
shonk

Oh, come on! What has he gotta lose? His manhood? Nothing venture, nothing gain.
J.
Old May 7th, 2006, 05:06 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,soc.culture.china

wrote:
Coral wrote:

maybe she is falling in love with you! Or she want to make friend with
you?

Yes, those are the two most likely explanations and I probably am being
silly, but I still find it a bit hard to understand.

I have never heard there is any slavery in China.

That was just wild speculation on my part. I know China is pretty
modern, and not even an especially dangerous country for tourists. I'm
just trying to think of motivations for her being willing to pay for my
trip.

Has it ever occurred to you that she wanted a husband, and she has
picked you? Are you tall and handsome and well-educated?
Good-mannered? A good catch for any girl?

She can afford studying aboard that means her family must not lack of
money.

Quite possible. She travelled quite a bit before coming to Australia
to study, and now she has a job here.

And it is so surprising to hear that you are worry about all these
strange things!

Why? Nothing is free! We're talking about a lot of money here. I
think I'd be stupid not to dig into her possible motives.

Your email address implies you're from China, so you know a lot more
about the culture and maybe how Chinese girls think. Can you give me
some insights into why you're so sure this is genuine?

Pretend BF

Old May 7th, 2006, 05:19 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,soc.culture.china

wrote in message oups.com...
Has it ever occurred to you that she wanted a husband, and she has
picked you? Are you tall and handsome and well-educated?
Good-mannered? A good catch for any girl?

Hey, I know a man who is tall, blond, blue-eyed, handsome, well educated, and not a homosexual. The trouble, is, he is 82 years old.
J.
Old May 7th, 2006, 08:14 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,soc.culture.china

On Sun, 7 May 2006 22:27:09 +0800, "JoSab" wrote:

Is she willing to go with another man caucasian of course who speaks
mandarin? I like to know her answer and your answer. Let's see who says
what.

Are you volunteering yourself? I was going to put my name forward if
the original poster decides against going. Let's form an orderly queue
here.

Chris

wrote in message
roups.com...
I've known her for about 2 months online, and met her the other day.
She seems really nice, and I think I trust her, but my head is
seriously questioning her motives.

She claims to be willing to pay for my trip and her explanation is that
it will make her family stop worrying about her. The trip will involve
meeting her extended family for a few days, and exploring China for the
rest of a month. I really like the idea of visiting China, but the
more I think about it the more it seems too good to be true, and very
suspicious. Several thousand dollars seems like a lot to pay to make
your family stop worrying (even if they're only Australian dollars!
;-) )

It really comes down to two questions:

1. Is it plausible that a Chinese girl would be under this much
pressure to have a boyfriend and/or be so devoted to her family that
she'd pay this much to stop them worrying?

2. Is it likely that this could be a scam.... I don't know... maybe to
sell me into slavery, ransom my family, or harvest my organs, or
something like that? I feel stupid for suspecting this kind of thing,
but once I'm over there I'll be pretty much at her mercy since I don't
know the language or the culture at all. She could lead me anywhere,
into any kind of trap.

If this was an Australian girl I'd know it was a scam for sure. Am I
stupid for considering this because she's Chinese?

Thanks

Pretend Boyfriend

Old May 7th, 2006, 09:08 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,soc.culture.china

On Mon, 08 May 2006 03:14:23 +0800, the renowned Chris Blunt
wrote:

On Sun, 7 May 2006 22:27:09 +0800, "JoSab" wrote:

Is she willing to go with another man caucasian of course who speaks
mandarin? I like to know her answer and your answer. Let's see who says
what.

Are you volunteering yourself? I was going to put my name forward if
the original poster decides against going. Let's form an orderly queue
here.

Chris

I'm looking for a surrogate. If she's interested, what are her IQ,
education and appearance parameters?

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Old May 8th, 2006, 02:33 AM posted to rec.travel.asia,soc.culture.china

J.Venning wrote:
wrote in message oups.com...
Has it ever occurred to you that she wanted a husband, and she has
picked you? Are you tall and handsome and well-educated?
Good-mannered? A good catch for any girl?

Hey, I know a man who is tall, blond, blue-eyed, handsome, well educated, and not a homosexual. The trouble, is, he is 82 years old.

Does he also have a billion dollars? Quick, call Anna Nicole Smith. I
know she wants him.
J.

Old May 8th, 2006, 08:28 AM posted to rec.travel.asia,soc.culture.china

Oh yeah? Well I once knew a paralegal who'd been involved with 110
cases!

Seriously, I realise you've probably got better things to do, but that
comment is close to worthless to me. You're just referring to stories
that no one here knows about, and while your opinion is as valid as
anyone's, this isn't a democratic decision!

On a positive note, it was still one of the most useful comments today!

Old May 8th, 2006, 08:36 AM posted to rec.travel.asia,soc.culture.china

Well... gee... shucks.... thanks... You know, I've always kind of
imagined myself as a cross between James Bond and Batman... but no one
has ever noticed before!

Old May 8th, 2006, 08:42 AM posted to rec.travel.asia,soc.culture.china

I think that saying needs revision. I suggest:

"Nothing ventured, nothing gained (or lost)... enjoy the rest of your
life in a Chinese prison."