Singapore stopover

Old September 17th, 2005, 12:00 AM
londoncityslicker

not really wrote in message
On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 22:44:19 +0100, JohnM
wrote:

In article , A Mate
writes
a quiet, undeveloped beach in Singapore!!!

Sentosa Island is quiet (it's also where the Republic of Singapore

houses
its political prisoners!!!) but it's hardly undeveloped. Cable car

access
and all!!

Cable car access until 9pm..

But after that you can probably still catch a bus or a ferry or for
goodness sake walk across the causeway/bridge.

Just a short walk from the big resort mentioned earlier, their is a
camping ground that you will be able to get cheap accomodation, and
also probably quite times.

Bar just down the road if you wish or just stroll down to the beach
for a relax.

Sentosa Island isn't all it's cracked up to be. It all looks a bit dated
(think 70's) now. I'm sure it was better in it's prime.
Some updating is taking place this year and hopefully it'll be back to it
former self.
Some of the so called restaurants are actually burger bars and the
attractions aren't particularly amazing.
The beach is nice though. But if I were staying in Singapore, I would stay
inland and make use of one of the hundreds of decent hotels.
If you wanted a beach holiday then you should have stopped in Thailand!

Someones already mentioned the singapore stopover with Singapore Airlines.
That deal is very good. You get a decent hotel for a decent price but you
also get
both way transfers as well as a heap of discounts and freebies perfect for a
brief stopover.

We stayed at the 5 star Pan Pacific and couldnt really complain for the
price we paid and what we got. All the other hotels on the stopover package
look very good too.

Old September 17th, 2005, 11:22 AM
katyjane

londoncityslicker wrote:
Sentosa Island isn't all it's cracked up to be. It all looks a bit dated
(think 70's) now. I'm sure it was better in it's prime.
Some updating is taking place this year and hopefully it'll be back to it
former self.
Some of the so called restaurants are actually burger bars and the
attractions aren't particularly amazing.
The beach is nice though. But if I were staying in Singapore, I would stay
inland and make use of one of the hundreds of decent hotels.

The 'attractions' of Sentosa don't interest me at all - in fact I'd
want to be able to avoid them completely. And I'm not particularly
bothered about a beach, my preference is a pool & garden. We just want
somewhere to completely relax for a day, outside & in pleasant
surroundings.

If you wanted a beach holiday then you should have stopped in Thailand!

Someones already mentioned the singapore stopover with Singapore Airlines.
That deal is very good. You get a decent hotel for a decent price but you
also get
both way transfers as well as a heap of discounts and freebies perfect for a
brief stopover.

Unfotunately I don't think we have a choice - Quantas via Singapore
appears to be the only airline/routing that enables us to fly into
Adelaide and out of Darwin. I suppose we don't have to use them for
UK-Singapore, but it'll almost certainly work out much more expensive
to use anybody else.

We stayed at the 5 star Pan Pacific and couldnt really complain for the
price we paid and what we got. All the other hotels on the stopover package
look very good too.

Hmm - sorry, but it looks exactly the kind of place that I avoid if at
all possible. I'm afraid I have strange preferences when it comes to
hotels - out of my 5 top favourites that I've stayed in so far, only
one had glass in the windows, only two had electricity, and my very
favourite was 100' up a tree!

Thanks for all the inputs. It's suggesting that a hotel of the sort we
were hoping for doesn't exist and Plan B will need to operate instead
(find any old hotel near the botanical gardens and crash out there for
the day!)

katyjane

Old September 17th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Elaine

"katyjane" wrote in message
oups.com...
my preference is a pool & garden. We just want
somewhere to completely relax for a day, outside & in pleasant
surroundings.

The Grand Hyatt may sound like your idea of a high rise horror, but it does
have fabulous gardens and a pool. Probably a bit more than you've budgeted
for though.

Elaine

Old September 28th, 2005, 02:44 PM
thegoons

"katyjane" wrote in message
oups.com...
londoncityslicker wrote:
[...]

If you want to broaden your options, you could choose other carriers to/from
Australia, and purchase discounted domestic tickets to/from Adelaide/Darwin
etc.

QANTAS Boomerang Pass:
http://www.qantas.com.au/regions/dyn...ials/boomerang

QANTAS Online Bookings:
http://www.qantas.com.au/regions/dyn...fier-region-au

Virgin Blue Online Bookings: http://www.virginblue.com.au

JetStar Airways Online Bookings: http://www.jetstar.com.au/

Old September 29th, 2005, 01:39 AM
John H

Singapore Airlines SQ230 flies ADL-SIN on Wed,Thur,Sat, Sun
and SQ229 flies SIN-ADL on Tues, Wed, Fri, Sat
Oh yes I know it doesn't land in Darwin, but a trip later to Darwin
would allow more time to look around the countryside
in Singapore or across the peninsula to Malaya.
John H

"thegoons" wrote in message
news:1127915089.c7f1e583516df4ec7391bf4efe19a33b@t eranews...

"katyjane" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old September 29th, 2005, 06:49 AM
RAK

"thegoons" wrote in message
news:1127915089.c7f1e583516df4ec7391bf4efe19a33b@t eranews...

"katyjane" wrote in message
oups.com...

cut
Unfotunately I don't think we have a choice - Quantas via Singapore
appears to be the only airline/routing that enables us to fly into
Adelaide and out of Darwin. I suppose we don't have to use them for
UK-Singapore, but it'll almost certainly work out much more expensive
to use anybody else.

cut

If you collect frequent flier points, you may want to look at doing the
UK-Sin leg on a BA flight if the ticket allows it.
I found that on a UK Oz return that I got twice as many FF points on the BA
flight Lon-Sin as I did on the return Sin-Lon.

Old September 29th, 2005, 06:53 AM
RAK

"RAK" wrote in message
news:1127972996.37a19862a15775056e4f22e1483627a0@t eranews...

"thegoons" wrote in message
news:1127915089.c7f1e583516df4ec7391bf4efe19a33b@t eranews...

"katyjane" wrote in message
oups.com...

cut
Unfotunately I don't think we have a choice - Quantas via Singapore
appears to be the only airline/routing that enables us to fly into
Adelaide and out of Darwin. I suppose we don't have to use them for
UK-Singapore, but it'll almost certainly work out much more expensive
to use anybody else.

cut

If you collect frequent flier points, you may want to look at doing the
UK-Sin leg on a BA flight if the ticket allows it.
I found that on a UK Oz return that I got twice as many FF points on the
BA flight Lon-Sin as I did on the return Sin-Lon.

Oops, I hit send too early there.... the end should read "... as I did on
the return Sin-Lon on Qantas on the same ticket".

Old September 29th, 2005, 08:08 AM
Dave Proctor

"thegoons" wrote in message
news:1127915089.c7f1e583516df4ec7391bf4efe19a33b@t eranews...

"katyjane" wrote in message
oups.com...

cut
Unfotunately I don't think we have a choice - Quantas via Singapore
appears to be the only airline/routing that enables us to fly into
Adelaide and out of Darwin. I suppose we don't have to use them for
UK-Singapore, but it'll almost certainly work out much more expensive
to use anybody else.

cut

If you collect frequent flier points, you may want to look at doing the
UK-Sin leg on a BA flight if the ticket allows it.
I found that on a UK Oz return that I got twice as many FF points on the
BA flight Lon-Sin as I did on the return Sin-Lon.

Oops, I hit send too early there.... the end should read "... as I did on
the return Sin-Lon on Qantas on the same ticket".

Depends on the FF program you are creditting the miles to, each
airline has differing earning rates when flying on partner airlines.

=====================

Dave

There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who don't.
Old September 29th, 2005, 10:56 AM
RAK

"Dave Proctor" wrote in message
On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 12:53:52 +0700, "RAK"
wrote:

cut
Unfotunately I don't think we have a choice - Quantas via Singapore
appears to be the only airline/routing that enables us to fly into
Adelaide and out of Darwin. I suppose we don't have to use them for
UK-Singapore, but it'll almost certainly work out much more expensive
to use anybody else.
cut

If you collect frequent flier points, you may want to look at doing the
UK-Sin leg on a BA flight if the ticket allows it.
I found that on a UK Oz return that I got twice as many FF points on the
BA flight Lon-Sin as I did on the return Sin-Lon.

Oops, I hit send too early there.... the end should read "... as I did on
the return Sin-Lon on Qantas on the same ticket".

Depends on the FF program you are creditting the miles to, each
airline has differing earning rates when flying on partner airlines.

Good point. In my case I was using the Cathay Pacific "Asia Miles" scheme,
part of OneWorld.
So BA gave twice as many points to the OneWorld scheme as Qantas on the same
ticket. I think it was due to the type of discount; Qantas seem especially
mean about giving points on cheap tickets, BA seem so-so, whereas SQ who I
usually fly with always give me full points on any ticket, so far at least.
(Qantas also stopped flying one sector on my route on the same ticket and
put me on another airline owned by them, and I got no points; I have avoided
them for long-haul since then. Customer loyalty can work two ways.)