Best place to buy authentic aboriginal stuff?

Old February 2nd, 2004, 04:19 AM
Raffi Balmanoukian

Default Best place to buy authentic aboriginal stuff?

PS Kangaroo scrotum purses are readily available and quite cheap. Maybe a
girlfriend back home would like one?

Hehe.... I don't know if my girlfriend is too keen on carrying a
scrotum around, being from a kangaroo or not ;-)

Hallvard

It went over a treat here with a demented friend....just as the cane toad
key chain was a hit with me....you can buy 'em with or without legs....and
also as change purses....

Old February 2nd, 2004, 06:32 AM
Mark Little

"Hallvard Tangeraas" wrote in message
om...
"Mark Little" wrote in message

"Peter Webb" wrote in message
u...
I am afraid that any boomerang you buy will be designed and built for

the
tourist trade. Those few aboriginals that don't hunt in the

supermarket
use
.243 calibres.

Obviously they are made for sale, but you can easily get ones made to
traditional designs using traditional methods. However, not all of the
hunting boomerangs are designed to come back, so it can be a bit

embarassing
when you attempt to show off by throwing it.

So the ones that come back are more of a novelty, touristy thing? The
real ones weren't actually made to do that?

Some do, some don't. It depends what they were originally designed to do.
It's just a matter of asking.

That's OK. I could buy one "authentic" one to play around with, and
one "touristy" fancy one to hang on my wall back home.

So where do I get to buy an "authentic" one?

The shops mentioned in the thread will be able to supply the "real thing".

Another popular item, although rather bulky, is the didgeridoos (wind
instrument).

Yeah, these are pretty cool, though as you say bulky -too bulky for me
to carry around as I'm visiting a bunch of other countries as well.
I actually came across a backpacker who had made her own from a piece
of wood, by going to a course.

Smaller traditional design items are the music sticks and woomeras -
throwing sticks to increase the range of spears.

I'll have a look to see if I find those.

http://www.flight-toys.com/artifacts/tb06.html has a picture of a
collectable one. The size of the body and the design is quite variable.

"Bull Roarers" are decorated pieces of wood attached to a cord and swung

make a humming noise. Variants of this design can be found in

traditional
cultures around the world.

So different from the didgeridoo? I always thought it was just another
name for the same thing.

The "Bull Roarers" haves, I think, the more generic name of "rhombes".

I don't personally like them much, but many people like the aboriginal

dot
paintings. They are distinctively indigenous and don't take up much

space.
There can be expensive in galleries, but it is possible to get them from
local artists at a reasonable price.

I think they're a bit strange as well, but it would be unique, so if I
find one that isn't too expensive but authentic I might get one or
two.

I've seen the locals selling them for quite reasonable prices in the Alice
Springs Mall, but I don't think you are going that way.

But, where? Where do I go to buy all of this if I want the real,
authentic stuff. I'll check out the places mentioned elsewhere in this
thread, but if you say that even the authentic, aboriginal stores
don't sell "real" boomerangs I'd like to know if there are other
places...

The places mentioned will be ok, but being in inner city locations, they
will cost more. Unfortunately, my experience with these artifacts is limited
to the Alice Springs area.

regards,
Mark

Old February 2nd, 2004, 11:25 PM
Julie

"Hallvard Tangeraas" wrote in message
om...
I'm not one to buy the many cheezy souvenirs in different countries,
but I've always wanted a boomerang.

I've seen them for sale everywhere, in tourist souvenir shops and
such, but I'd rather buy it from a more "authentic" aboriginal place
-any suggestions to where I should go? And possibly see and learn more
about the aboriginal culture as well.

I'm currently in 1770/Agnes water and will be travelling towards
Rockhampton. From there I'll be taking a side-trip into Longreach and
Barcaldine, go back to Rockhampton, then continue my trip along the
east coast till I get to Cairns, then probably take a flight down to
Adelaide (possibly to Melbourne instwad if I don't have the time or
find the money worth it), Canberram then ending at Sydney.

Which of those places would be the best to get this sort of thing?

Hallvard

A little north of Cairns is an Aboriginal Dance Troup that perform for
tourists. I haven't seen the performance because I'm not into that sort of
entertainment. They may have some boomerangs for sale there, they are sure
to have souvenirs.

Old February 3rd, 2004, 10:47 PM
Keith Sayers

On 1 Feb 2004 17:37:13 -0800, (Hallvard
Tangeraas) wrote:

So where do I get to buy an "authentic" one?

Try
www.aiatsis.gov.au - it might give you some leads. There used
to be an 'authentic' shop in Darwin but am not sure if it is still
there.

Keith Sayers, Canberra, Australia
Mail : 6 Clambe Place,
CHARNWOOD, ACT 2615
http://www.pcug.org.au/~kmsayers
Old February 4th, 2004, 01:35 AM
Raffi Balmanoukian

or
Duncan Maclennan's Boomerang School
224a William St Kings Cross 2011 (02) 9358 2370

both have authentic boomerands, and at Duncan's he will show you how
to use/throw it.

In the Cross, you'll need it!

Old February 5th, 2004, 11:34 PM
Tom Hatfield

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 01:35:58 GMT, Raffi Balmanoukian
a wrote:

or
Duncan Maclennan's Boomerang School
224a William St Kings Cross 2011 (02) 9358 2370

both have authentic boomerands, and at Duncan's he will show you how
to use/throw it.

In the Cross, you'll need it!

Not any more - ever since Lord Mayor Lucy cleaned up the place after
taking over from South Sydney City Council - NOT.

But really, the Cross is much cleaner and less threating than it used
to be, I would even walk down the street with my Mom and not think
twice.

Tom

Old February 7th, 2004, 04:00 AM
Tom Hatfield

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 23:39:47 GMT, Raffi Balmanoukian
a wrote:

Your mom is a streetwalker in King's Cross??? 8-)

How do you think I went to college?