Travelling from Brisbane to Cairns in 11 days...

Old July 28th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Alan S

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 14:11:38 +0100, Simon Pleasants
wrote:

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 22:37:00 +1000, "Jeff"
wrote:

I have heard many stories from tourists and people from other cities who are
frustrated with Brisbane roads, though I find it no different to any other
city.

I try to avoid driving in cities if I can though I have experienced
Glasgow during rush hour - probably about half the size of Brisbane
and less traumatic because I am more familiar with its road system and
British road systems in general.

What got me most about Brisbane was the number of roads which go in
one direction only. I don't mean dual carriageways, like we get here,
I mean roads that literally appear to go in one direction and to go in
the other means taking a different road entirely which doesn't
necessarily even follow the same route. A number of roads were shut
for the Goodwill Games at the time I was there as well, which cannot
have helped!

Did you know there is some stunning rainforest within 30 kilometres of
Brisbane CBD?

No I didn't. I used to live (for a short time) in Townsville with an
ex. She was a local girl and felt that the Daintree was the place I
must see. Ever since then it's always been that area which I think of
in terms of rainforest, though I will be visiting some forest areas on
the west coast come October.

So tell me about the rainforest near Brisbane then?

There are still patches of rainforest all over this country
in the ranges. Several national parks between me and Jeff -
Springbrook, Lamington, Border Ranges have pockets.

Even much, much further south. The majesty of the forest of
giant Mountain Ash in the Tarra Bulga NP (25km due south of
Traralgon in Victoria) is something I found awesome.
Rainforest doesn't have to be tropical, like the Daintree,
or even sub-tropical like my district.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old July 28th, 2005, 09:54 PM
Jeff

wrote:

[...]

WA
South west - the areas aroung Pemberton and Stirlling Ranges are good.

Old July 28th, 2005, 09:56 PM
Jeff

wrote:

[...]

Some of these that Alan has mentioned ( also many in the Sunshine Coast
area) are within an easy 2 hour drive from Brisbane, Closer afield is Mt
Tamborine and very close to Brisbane is Mt Nebo and Mt Glorious.

Regards
Jeff

Old July 29th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Simon Pleasants

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 06:54:20 +1000, "Jeff"
wrote:

WA
South west - the areas aroung Pemberton and Stirlling Ranges are good.

That's exactly where we're going this October. A friend of ours
recently arrived back from spending about 6 months in that area. She
has drawn us up a list of things we must do based on her experiences.
As a photography "student" of mine she was also keen to show me her
pictures and there's a few things I am certainly looking forward to
seeing myself.

I've taken a note of your (and Alan's) comments about the rainforests
around Brisbane and I'll attempt to include something about it in the
blurb on Brisbane on my site - though it'll likely be a few weeks
before anything actually happens.

Thanks for the info.
Old July 29th, 2005, 09:21 AM
Jeff

wrote:

WA
South west - the areas aroung Pemberton and Stirlling Ranges are good.

That's exactly where we're going this October. A friend of ours
recently arrived back from spending about 6 months in that area. She
has drawn us up a list of things we must do based on her experiences.
As a photography "student" of mine she was also keen to show me her
pictures and there's a few things I am certainly looking forward to
seeing myself.

I've taken a note of your (and Alan's) comments about the rainforests
around Brisbane and I'll attempt to include something about it in the
blurb on Brisbane on my site - though it'll likely be a few weeks
before anything actually happens.

Thanks for the info.

This may be helpful...
http://www.brisbane-australia.com/103362.php

Old July 29th, 2005, 02:00 PM
Simon Pleasants

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 18:21:32 +1000, "Jeff"
wrote:

This may be helpful...
http://www.brisbane-australia.com/103362.php

Thanks - I've booked marked that, even though it's guilty of the
heinous crime of not formatting properly in Firefox.
Old July 29th, 2005, 05:01 PM

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 12:56:08 +0100, Simon Pleasants
wrote:

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 21:23:00 +1000, "Jeff"
wrote:

I didn;t think it was pathetic, i just noted that you were not quite taken
by Brisbane,. so obviously you didn't feel the need to elaborate on much

We didn't really do anything, that's the problem. When I look back on
it I wonder why we didn't, but we didn't. I can only assume that
after several weeks of travelling around we actually needed to catch
our breath. I was decidedly not taken with Brisbane's roads -
particularly at rush hour, but that's another story (bridge).

I'd love to go back and do what we didn't do before - but because we
loved the rain forests and the reefs so much whenever we go back we
tend to go back there.

I'll be going to Perth in October - that's new territory for me.

When I checked out your site I was puzzled by that.

You didn't have any parts of Western Australia listed as having been
included in your travels, yet you have what appears to be a picture of
Wave Rock in Hyden (Western Australia) on your front page.....

Just wondering ???

Tony
Old July 30th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Martin12003 Martin12003 is offline
Member

Location: Herve y Bay Queensland Australia

Cairns to Airlie Beach for the Whitsundays takes a days driving.

Whitsundays to Hervey Bay for Fraser Island takes a longer days driving.

Hervey Bay to Brisbane is around 4 hours.

This website has loads of options for Cairns, Whitsundays, Fraser Island, Ayers Rock, Kakadu and some other stuff.
www.ozmagic.homestead.com

Good Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Pleasants