using eftpos for 3 weeks?

Old March 13th, 2004, 03:31 PM
Jason

Default using eftpos for 3 weeks?

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 19:39:51 +1100, Alan wrote:

Good luck finding someone in a major Oz city that would take pounds
sterling (or even local) traveller's cheques. Your chances in Bourke or
Oodnadatta would be remote; they might offer 1:1 on the exchange rate if
you're desperate.

Travellers cheques in Aussie dollars aren't a problem. I've had them
accepted in plenty of places in the past including the pub in Coral Bay,
which is fairly out of the way. And last time I went there, there still
wasn't an ATM in the township, only EFTPOS which doesn't usually work on
foreign cards.

Jason

--
http://www.scuba-addict.co.uk/ for trip reports including diving
the wreck of the President Coolidge in Santo, Vanuatu

Old March 14th, 2004, 08:12 AM
Frank Slootweg

Jason wrote:
[deleted]
Travellers cheques in Aussie dollars aren't a problem. I've had them
accepted in plenty of places in the past including the pub in Coral Bay,
which is fairly out of the way. And last time I went there, there still
wasn't an ATM in the township, only EFTPOS which doesn't usually work on
foreign cards.

In my experience, EFTPOS is no problem for a 'foreign' *credit* card
(like MasterCard). It *is* a problem for foreign *debit* cards. For
example they don't take our Dutch "Europas" (Maestro) (which *can* be
used to draw money from ATMs).
Old March 14th, 2004, 02:05 PM
Jason

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 08:12:44 +0000, Frank Slootweg wrote:

In my experience, EFTPOS is no problem for a 'foreign' *credit* card
(like MasterCard). It *is* a problem for foreign *debit* cards. For
example they don't take our Dutch "Europas" (Maestro) (which *can* be
used to draw money from ATMs).

But of course you can't get cash out on a credit card via EFTPOS. I spent
something like 5 days in Coral Bay and had to make sure I had enough cash
with me before I got there. I wasn't that comfortable about having that
amount on me when staying in a shared hostel accommodation, but I didn't
think it was worth it getting travellers cheques just for that period, so
I took the risk.

Both my debit cards are Visa Debit, so they have the advantage of always
working, but I think they're just treated the same as credit cards outside
of the UK, so probably don't work in EFTPOS.

Jason

Old March 14th, 2004, 02:54 PM
Raffi Balmanoukian

in article , Jason at
wrote on 3/14/04 10:05 AM:

http://www.scuba-addict.co.uk/ for trip reports including diving
the wreck of the President Coolidge in Santo, Vanuatu

Is that anything like the wreck of the President Clinton? Both ended after
going down....

Old March 14th, 2004, 07:17 PM

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 14:54:03 GMT, Raffi Balmanoukian
a wrote:

in article , Jason at
wrote on 3/14/04 10:05 AM:

http://www.scuba-addict.co.uk/ for trip reports including diving
the wreck of the President Coolidge in Santo, Vanuatu

Is that anything like the wreck of the President Clinton? Both ended after
going down....

Bill Clinton went down? Ahem. OTOH, it wouldn't surprise me.
Old March 14th, 2004, 08:58 PM
Raffi Balmanoukian

Is that anything like the wreck of the President Clinton? Both ended after
going down....

Bill Clinton went down? Ahem. OTOH, it wouldn't surprise me.

Yeah, don'tcha remember the cigar? If it was a Cuban, he DEFINITELY would
have been impeached.