Sydney Advice

Old March 21st, 2004, 11:21 PM
Bev

Default Sydney Advice

We are a family of four with 2 teen boys and are planning 5 days in
sydney in august. We plan to see the sights in and around Sydney. We
would like to be at a central locatiion where we could walk to some
things .I need some help with my planning....A few questions...
1. Do you know of a hotel/holiday apartments at a good location that
has at least a kitchenette for our family for under $200 australian?
2. Should I rent a car or is the public transport sufficient?
Thanks in advance for your help....bev
Old March 22nd, 2004, 02:07 AM
Stan

Check out http://www.theyorkapartments.com.au/index.html. It's a little out
of your price range, but you might be able to get a deal through one of the
discount hotel reservation sites. Google "discount hotel reservations"
Sydney.

Stan

om...

Old March 22nd, 2004, 04:51 AM
Raffi Balmanoukian

in article , Tom Hatfield at
wrote on 3/21/04 8:57 PM:

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 23:23:34 GMT, Raffi Balmanoukian
a wrote:

in article
, Bev at
wrote on 3/21/04 6:21 PM:

I can't really help on the first count - for four people though you might be
better of hiring a car although parking can be a bit of a bear and, of
course, there's that whole "driving on the other side" thing if you're from
a right-hand drive country. Sydney is NOT the place to get a handle on that
talent (I'm speaking from experience). If you were one person I would have
suggested the very good public transport system would be sufficient, but
four.....well.....

Sorry to disagree with Raffi, since he always provides great
information, but go for public transport in Sydney. You can get a
weekly travel pass for $36.00 per person which allows you unlimited
use of buses and ferries all around Sydney. Bues and ferries run all
day and late into the night, so you are not going to be stuck
somewhere without transport.

There is also the more expensive Tourist Pass, which allows you to
use the Ferry Cruises and Explorer Bus - both have commentary, if you
want to include a preparred tour during your stay. It also includes
return travel to the airport via the train, so depending on where you
stay you just walk out of the train station and then to your hotel.
There are three, five and seven day options.

Tom

Thanks for the compliment, Tom, and you make an excellent point in a city
that is far from both my heart and my core of interest. My thought was
essentially that four people makes private transport a little more
attractive (despite the good public system) than it is with one. If you're
only in city, the OP might find a rent-a-dent with limited km. for the same
price, or less, than 36 x 4 but of course s/he will still have to provide
petrol and parking. S'pose it largely comes to a matter of convenience,
like most forms of urban choices when it comes to public/private transport.

Cheers.

Old March 22nd, 2004, 05:38 AM
Peter S

"Bev" wrote in message
om...
We are a family of four with 2 teen boys and are planning 5 days in
sydney in august. We plan to see the sights in and around Sydney. We
would like to be at a central locatiion where we could walk to some
things .I need some help with my planning....A few questions...
1. Do you know of a hotel/holiday apartments at a good location that
has at least a kitchenette for our family for under $200 australian?
2. Should I rent a car or is the public transport sufficient?
Thanks in advance for your help....bev

Bev,
Have a look at www.sydneyservicedapartments.net/ . They have a service where
they will recommend an apartment for you based on your budget and needs.

If you are going to stay in the CBD area of Sydney, then I would recommend
public transport (but take care at late night). Driving in that area is bad
enough for those who know the area and parking is almost nonexistent (or
very overpriced and a long walk from most tourist attractions.)

If you plan to go to the Blue Mountains for a day then you could rent a car
for that day.

Enjoy yourselves
Peter

Old March 22nd, 2004, 06:10 AM
Geoff Lillico

"Bev" wrote in message
om...
We are a family of four with 2 teen boys and are planning 5 days in
sydney in august. We plan to see the sights in and around Sydney. We
would like to be at a central locatiion where we could walk to some
things .I need some help with my planning....A few questions...
1. Do you know of a hotel/holiday apartments at a good location that
has at least a kitchenette for our family for under $200 australian?

A day, week or what? There are plenty of good apartments in the CBD of
Sydney. Try Google.

2. Should I rent a car or is the public transport sufficient?

There is plenty to see within a short distance of the CBD which will occupy
5 days without hiring a car which can be costly, but with four it might work
out OK. There is a good public transport system in Sydney [compared to other
countries] . Have a look at http://www.cityrail.info/ and
http://www.sta.nsw.gov.au/timetable/

Hope this helps.

Geoff Lillico
Thanks in advance for your help....bev

Old March 22nd, 2004, 07:52 AM
Kerry

"Bev" wrote in message
om...
We are a family of four with 2 teen boys and are planning 5 days in
sydney in august. We plan to see the sights in and around Sydney. We
would like to be at a central locatiion where we could walk to some
things .I need some help with my planning....A few questions...
1. Do you know of a hotel/holiday apartments at a good location that
has at least a kitchenette for our family for under $200 australian?
2. Should I rent a car or is the public transport sufficient?
Thanks in advance for your help....bev

Stay in the CBD and use taxis ferries and the occassional train.

Suggestion.

Day.1
From your hotel, walk to the Opera house and across the Sydney Harbour
bridge. Dinner at Circular Quay or the Rocks.

Day 2. Taxi to Bondi Beach, then coastal walk to Coogee, taxi home ($20 each
way) Lots of pretty girls there. Your your teenage sons will love it.
http://camelot.d2g.com/coogee_beach_25-01-03/

Day 3. Catch ferry across the Harbour to Manly, more girls. Total fares less
than $40.
http://sydneyharbour.capebyron.com/

Day 4 Catch the train to Katoomba. Walk or local taxi to the scenery. Lunch
in Katoomba. Train home. Fares are cheap!

Day 5 Go shopping. (Mums day out) Walk to shops.

Enjoy Sydney, you don't need a car.

Kerry

Old March 22nd, 2004, 10:15 PM
Raffi Balmanoukian

in article , Bev at
wrote on 3/22/04 1:30 PM:

(Bev) wrote in message
. com...
We are a family of four with 2 teen boys and are planning 5 days in
sydney in august. We plan to see the sights in and around Sydney. We
would like to be at a central locatiion where we could walk to some
things .I need some help with my planning....A few questions...
1. Do you know of a hotel/holiday apartments at a good location that
has at least a kitchenette for our family for under $200 australian?
2. Should I rent a car or is the public transport sufficient?
Thanks in advance for your help....bev

Thank you so much for your advice..I think I will use the public
transport except to maybe rent a car one day to drive to the
mountains. We are from Colorado so I am not sure whether that is
really time well spent. any opinions? We really just want to soak up
the culture of Australia and see things that are unique to the area..
I am making headway on the apartment.Has anyone heard of the Grantham
apartments or the Woolloomooloo Waters apartments. they are both
situated near Wooloomooloo Bay..Is that a good place to be for walking
and public transportation? We do like the idea of being near the
water and the Botanic Gardens. The York Apartments look good but are
a little pricey...Thank you so much for any added advice....Bev

"mountain" has a whole new meaning in Australia, versus Colorado standards.
Denver is higher than the highest point in the whole continent! That said,
the Blue Mtns. are magnificent and well worth a trip; it is a bit of a
twisty drive though and as previously mentioned left-hand drive takes some
getting used to. This exact route (Sydney-Leura and return) was my first
experience at it, and my Australian victims - er, passengers - who were
along for the harrowing ride will never let me forget it. I'm sure they
won't either.