Taxi fare in Melbourne. Cheaper to rent a car?

Old January 27th, 2005, 12:18 AM
Alan

On 26 Jan 2005 12:04:37 -0800, "William South"
wrote:

|Thank you for all the replies.
|
|I have decided it's going to be cheaper to rent a car for the duration
|of my stay.
|
|I am trying to book online on the Budget site, but it is asking what
|airport I will pick it up from.
|
|There is more than one option.
|
|MELBOURNE APT INTER VIC
|MELBOURNE APT QF/JS VIC
|
|I am flying with Qantas. Does Qantas have their own arrival terminal. I
|will be arriving at Termial I (letter i)
|
|My flight number begins with QF so I am guessing I need to select the
|QF/JS option, but I need to be sure before I book.
|
|Thanks in advance for any help.
|
|p.s. What's the current average price of petrol per litre in Melbourne?

Hi William

Melbourne is an integrated terminal, so domestic (MELBOURNE APT QF/JS
VIC in this case) is very close to international. However, if you're
coming in from overseas, select MELBOURNE APT INTER VIC. But if a better
deal is available from an agency only using domestic, it's not a
problem.

Ordinary unleaded fuel varies in a range from AU$0.90 (occasionally) up
to AU$1.10 per litre, roughly equivalent to 40p per litre. A bloody
sight cheaper than the UK IIRC:-) However, fuel economy on the larger
cars may be a little worse than you are used to.

Don't try to economise by ordering a diesel car - different technology
system here, a much smaller range of vehicles, not as efficient as
European diesels, and the fuel is usually dearer than petrol.

Also, before booking, read the insurance details carefully particularly
in respect to "single vehicle accidents". Check whether your credit card
gives some cover there as well.

Finally, check the rental agency's arrangements for "e-tag". The
tollways in Melbourne do not have toll-booths and are electronic only -
and the driving you are envisaging will definitely include some
tollways. Good rental agencies have ways to manage this.

Good luck,

Cheers, Alan
Old January 27th, 2005, 08:48 AM
Daniel Bowen

"William South" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am trying to book online on the Budget site, but it is asking what
airport I will pick it up from.

There is more than one option.

MELBOURNE APT INTER VIC
MELBOURNE APT QF/JS VIC

I am flying with Qantas. Does Qantas have their own arrival terminal. I
will be arriving at Termial I (letter i)

"I" would be International. But it's right next to the Qantas/Jetstar
terminal anyway, only a minute's walk.

p.s. What's the current average price of petrol per litre in Melbourne?

Right now about 97 cents per litre, but it varies day to day from about 90
to $1.05.

Daniel
--
Daniel Bowen, Melbourne, Australia
Email: dbowen at custard dot net dot au

Old January 27th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Mike McBain

"William South" writes:

I am trying to book online on the Budget site, but it is asking what
airport I will pick it up from.

There is more than one option.

MELBOURNE APT INTER VIC
MELBOURNE APT QF/JS VIC

I am flying with Qantas. Does Qantas have their own arrival terminal. I
will be arriving at Termial I (letter i)

My flight number begins with QF so I am guessing I need to select the
QF/JS option, but I need to be sure before I book.

INTER is the international terminal at Tullamarine (MEL), QF is the
domestic Qantas terminal and JS is JetStar domestic. They are all
within the same building and about 300 metres apart.

p.s. What's the current average price of petrol per litre in Melbourne?

Varies from about 85c per litre (midweek) to $1.10. Depends on the day.