What's your favorite thing to do in Belize city?

Old September 1st, 2005, 01:08 AM
Badger

Default What's your favorite thing to do in Belize city?

Or is there much to do there?
Clay
Old September 1st, 2005, 02:16 AM
DH

There are lots of different shore excursions sponsored by the cruise lines.
We went tubing through a cave, which is pretty popular. There's also
zip-lining through the jungle and some other fun stuff.

If I return, though, I think I'll just tour the city. I rather liked Belize
and I think I'd like to just walk around the town and see what I find.

"Badger" wrote in message
Or is there much to do there?
Clay

Old September 1st, 2005, 04:43 AM
piperut

DH wrote:
There are lots of different shore excursions sponsored by the cruise lines.
We went tubing through a cave, which is pretty popular. There's also
zip-lining through the jungle and some other fun stuff.

If I return, though, I think I'll just tour the city. I rather liked Belize
and I think I'd like to just walk around the town and see what I find.

"Badger" wrote in message
Or is there much to do there?
Clay

Belize is the home of the second larges barrier reef in the world.
The largest barrier reef is in Austrailia.

Now the locals in Belieze fish the reef, however if you are into
natural wonders you really should take a snorkeling or scuba dive on
the reef.

roland

Old September 1st, 2005, 11:39 AM
Badger

piperut wrote:
DH wrote:

There are lots of different shore excursions sponsored by the cruise lines.
We went tubing through a cave, which is pretty popular. There's also
zip-lining through the jungle and some other fun stuff.

If I return, though, I think I'll just tour the city. I rather liked Belize
and I think I'd like to just walk around the town and see what I find.

"Badger" wrote in message
.. .

Or is there much to do there?
Clay

Belize is the home of the second larges barrier reef in the world.
The largest barrier reef is in Austrailia.

Now the locals in Belieze fish the reef, however if you are into
natural wonders you really should take a snorkeling or scuba dive on
the reef.

roland

We're doing an excursion in the Caymans. I wondered if there was
anything of interest in the city itself. We may just get off the boat
wander around a little and then go back and relax that day.

Thanks for the responses!

Clay
Old September 1st, 2005, 03:13 PM
Chrissy Cruiser

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 10:39:28 GMT, Badger wrote:

We're doing an excursion in the Caymans. I wondered if there was
anything of interest in the city itself. We may just get off the boat
wander around a little and then go back and relax that day.

rec.travel.caribbean discussion going on as I type Belize
--
"You drank beer, you played golf, you watched football - WE EVOLVED!"
=Zappa
Old September 1st, 2005, 03:24 PM

There is *NOTHING* to do in Belize City, itself, and downtown Belize City is
not the safest place to be. And you don't just "get off the boat." The
ship anchors 3 miles offshore and you tender in. They are relatively fast
tenders, but it still takes about 15-20 minutes to get ashore onece the
tender is loaded, and sometimes it takes 1/2 hour just to fill the tender.

That being said, Belize is a great place for shore excursions, especially
the "adventure" type. There is snorkeling, cave tubing, swimming, exploring
ruins, all kinds of great things. Belize the country is fantastic, it's
just that Belize the city is the pits.

Old September 2nd, 2005, 01:53 AM
Badger

Chrissy Cruiser wrote:
On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 10:39:28 GMT, Badger wrote:

We're doing an excursion in the Caymans. I wondered if there was
anything of interest in the city itself. We may just get off the boat
wander around a little and then go back and relax that day.

rec.travel.caribbean discussion going on as I type Belize

Cool, didn't know that group existed.
Clay
Old September 2nd, 2005, 07:54 PM
Dillon Pyron

Thus spake Badger :

Chrissy Cruiser wrote:
On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 10:39:28 GMT, Badger wrote:

We're doing an excursion in the Caymans. I wondered if there was
anything of interest in the city itself. We may just get off the boat
wander around a little and then go back and relax that day.

rec.travel.caribbean discussion going on as I type Belize

Cool, didn't know that group existed.
Clay

Oh yeah, we get crossposts all the time. Ask granny.
--
dillon

Pain is Nature's way of saying "that was stupid"
Old September 7th, 2005, 04:19 PM
catdaddy

I went to the Belize Zoo...and found it very interesting. Found a taxi \
tour guide at the dock . He was a local , grew up in the jungle about 30
miles away and taught us a lot about a culture very different from mine.
What was the most interesting about the zoo wasn't what you'd expect...in
fact initially I was somewhat disappointed as I was expecting a zoo like you
would see in the U.S. ... my wife was told it was a world class zoo and not
to be missed ! What is unique about it is the fact that every animal there
was rescued ...none were ever caught in the wild for the purpose of being
put in a zoo.Some were injured, or orphaned babies, ect...started out as
some type of private animal shelter and grew into what it is now.
It is designed to be a self guided tour...but having a knowledgeable guide
is recommended. Mine could mimic most of the animals calls...knew their
habits ...and even commented on how tasty several varieties of monkeys
were...and how awful a type of pig was to eat !
What I found interesting, however, was the fact that by US standards, it
was somewhat dangerous. Visitors are expected to use common sense, and
Belize is not a rich enough country to have everything designed in a way to
prevent lawsuits from occuring. Two examples of this are the Jaguar
exhibit...where the only thing between people and the animal is strand of
electric wire about 18 inches off the ground and a wire mesh fence with the
openings big enough for feeding , or a camera , or an arm if someone was
foolish enough to try to pet the jaguar that was pacing just a foot away .
The crocadile exhibit was along a pathway that was 2-3 feet above the water
and beach where the crocs were sunning, and seperated only by a split rail
fence. The crocs could easily come out onto the path...or a person could
easily go into the water . When I mentioned this to the guide, his reply was
the crocs were well fed and lazy...and why would anyone go into the water
with all those crocodiles in it ?
It was a pleasant break from the reality of the US...where it would be
assumed that people wouldn't be smart enough to know any better than to stay
away from a reptile that can kill you. I also found it refreshing to be in a
culture where people were responsible for themselves..and if someone did
choose to try to pet a croc and got bit...it would be his own fault anyway
and couldn't sue the zoo !

"Badger" wrote in message
Or is there much to do there?
Clay

[...]