Looking for some cruise advice - NCL Star

Old May 7th, 2009, 03:01 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
George

Default Looking for some cruise advice - NCL Star

Hello All,
My wife and I have booked an Alaskan cruise in a couple of weeks on
NCL's Norwegian Star.
The ports of call: Seattle; Ketchikan; Juneau; Skagway; Prince Rupert

We will only have about a day in Seattle (Friday to Saturday afternoon)

I just wondering if anybody out there has been on this cruise and can
make some recommendations on shore excursions, things to do, things to
avoid, what to see, that sort of thing.

TIA,
George
Old May 7th, 2009, 03:19 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
number6

On May 7, 10:01*am, George wrote:
Hello All,
* * *My wife and I have booked an Alaskan cruise in a couple of weeks on
NCL's Norwegian Star.
The ports of call: Seattle; Ketchikan; Juneau; Skagway; Prince Rupert

We will only have about a day in Seattle (Friday to Saturday afternoon)

I just wondering if anybody out there has been on this cruise and can
make some recommendations *on shore excursions, things to do, things to
avoid, what to see, that sort of thing.

We've been to Ketchikan and Juneau ... and had delightful tours in
each ...

In Ketchikan ... Lois Munch of Classic Tours in dressed in her poodle
skirt and driving her 55 Chevy will give you a terrific personalized
tour ... And keep you away from cruise ship tourist traps ... and send
you only if you ask her to places owned and run by Alaskans ... A
Native performed a special dance he made for her ... the person
carving totem poles had a daughter wearing a jacket given to her by
Lois ... Hell even the guy checking us out at a souvineer shop was
taught by her in HS ...

In Juneau, we did whale watching with Orca Enterprises ... Capt. Larry
who could not have looked more like a salty sea captain knows where to
find whales ... other tours were following him ... Very friendly
staff ... The bus taking us to the boat ... gave his own off the cuff
tour spiel ... even stopped to allow some long shots of Mendenhall
Glacier ... (You'll have time after whale watching to go there
also ...)

Old May 7th, 2009, 04:18 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
George

number6 wrote:
On May 7, 10:01 am, George wrote:
[...]

Good advice. Thank you.
Old May 13th, 2009, 03:56 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

On 5/7/2009 11:18 AM George "tweaked" on too much Starbucks said:
number6 wrote:
On May 7, 10:01 am, George wrote:
[...]

In Seattle, if you are a coffee drinker, go to the Pike St. Market and
worship at the temple of the very first Starbucks in the world! There's
lots of other really cool stuff to see at Pike St. like the fish market
"ceremonial fish toss". It is one of the most revered of native Seattle
folk traditions. The other is the waterfront lodging that is the source
of Frank Zappa's "Mud Shark" opus.

If you stop by the Alexis Hotel, if no one is occupying it, ask to see
the famous "John and Yoko" room. Accross the street from the hotel is
the site of the former pawn shop where Jimi Hendrix bought his very
first guitar!

--
________
Brian M. Kochera