Switzerland

Old September 30th, 2003, 02:28 PM
Rob

Default Switzerland

Hello all -

I'm planning on taking my family of 4 (2 teenagers 14 and 15) to
Europe next June. Here's the itinerary so far: (2 weeks total time)

Paris
Switzerland
Munich
Romantische Strasse
Brussels

So the questions:

1) Where in Switzerland? We want a hiking the Alps experience.

2) Where to end the Romantische Strasse experience - we'll rent
a car in Munich and want to drop it somewhere (Kolenz, Bonn,
Frankfurt ???) before taking a train to Brussels.

Also if you're still with me... :-) :

1) Do I need a hotel reservation end of June in Paris, Munich,
Brussels etc. or can I "wing it" ???

???

Thanks SO MUCH for any help!!!

Rob
Old September 30th, 2003, 07:36 PM
OughtFour

Foucart-Dever wrote:
1) Where in Switzerland? We want a hiking the Alps experience.

I'd recommend the Bernese Oberland. Stop--but don't stay--in Interlaken,
then head up into the mountains. (Plenty of rentals and hotels in the towns
up there.) There are trails at all levels, plus trains, lifts, and
funiculars galore.

Berne makes an interesting stop for a few hours, too.

For added adventure, consider taking a night train to Interlaken from Paris.

Your whole itinerary works well with rail, but even if you'd like the
freedom a car can provide I think one would just be a hassle for the first
part of your trip, at least through Munich.

Have a great trip!

Old September 30th, 2003, 07:40 PM
Juliana L Holm

I replied via mail, but I'll second this recommendation. In addition, in
Adelboden sits Our Chalet, the Girl Scout's world center, and thus a lot
of youth-friendly business. I am not sure if they will provide any
resources to folks who are non-associated with the girl scouts, thought.

Julie

--
Julie
**********
Old September 30th, 2003, 09:19 PM
Krist

OughtFour wrote:

For added adventure, consider taking a night train to Interlaken from Paris.

There's no night train to interlaken from Paris. Paris Interlaken takes
about 6 1/2 hour by train. The best option is to take the Paris - Berne
TGV and take a train to interlaken there. You could even spent a few
hours in Bern...

Krist

Old September 30th, 2003, 10:02 PM
Foucart-Dever

"Rob" a écrit dans le message de news:
Hello all -

I'm planning on taking my family of 4 (2 teenagers 14 and 15) to
Europe next June. Here's the itinerary so far: (2 weeks total time)

Paris
Switzerland
Munich
Romantische Strasse
Brussels

So the questions:

1) Where in Switzerland? We want a hiking the Alps experience.

I already answered this part in my post on the group, but I would really
consider stopping in Samoëns. You are at 50km from Geneva. If you hike, you
can cross the swiss border on your first day of hike. You are next to the
GR5 (from Leman lake to Mont-Blanc), Tour du Mont-Blanc, Tour des Dents
Blanches, etc... The village itself is the only montain resort in France to
be protected as an historical monument.
I reckon I am a little bit subjective G, being a fan of the place!

2) Where to end the Romantische Strasse experience - we'll rent
a car in Munich and want to drop it somewhere (Kolenz, Bonn,
Frankfurt ???) before taking a train to Brussels.

Also if you're still with me... :-) :

1) Do I need a hotel reservation end of June in Paris, Munich,
Brussels etc. or can I "wing it" ???

Living in Brussels, I fear that end of june needs probably reservation if
you go for a "business" category hotel (it is still fairly busy at that
time), while you may find decent tourist accomodation at the tourist office.
Beware though that there are not too many "middle class" hotels in Brussels.
You can try the site
www.hotels.be

???

Thanks SO MUCH for any help!!!

You're welcome !

Rob

--
* /^\ Dominique Foucart
* /\ / \ * Photos et randos en Haute-Savoie
/ / \ V°o www.samoens.int.ms

Old October 1st, 2003, 01:26 AM
Martin Stock

"Rob" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
om...
Hello all -

I'm planning on taking my family of 4 (2 teenagers 14 and 15) to
Europe next June. Here's the itinerary so far: (2 weeks total time)

Paris
Switzerland
Munich
Romantische Strasse
Brussels

So the questions:

1) Where in Switzerland? We want a hiking the Alps experience.

Hiking trails are all over. It only depends how challenging you want it.

Here a classical and rather easy mountain tour (with great views to
Jungfrau/Eiger/Mönch mountains):
First 2200m via Bachsee 2265m via Faulhorn 2681m (Restaurant) to Schynige
Platte 2067m
Duration: 5,5 hours
BOB-Bahn from Wilderswil to Grindelwald, from Grindelwald with the Firstbahn
to the station First
Back to Wilderswil with the Schynige Platte-Bahn

2) Where to end the Romantische Strasse experience - we'll rent
a car in Munich and want to drop it somewhere (Kolenz, Bonn,
Frankfurt ???) before taking a train to Brussels.

Rather a question where to start. From Munich you will have to drive
backwards direction Switzerland to reach the southern end of the Romantic
Road at Füssen.
A better idea would be to rent a car in Lindau, follow the German Alpine
Road via Füssen (Neuschwanstein Castle), Wieskirche, Linderhof Castle to
Garmisch-Partenkirchen and turn than North to Munich.
http://www.germany-tourism.de/e/12571.html
From Munich you can join the Romantic Road again (Füssen - Wieskirche was
already a part of it) and via Nördlingen (in the middle of a giant meteorit
crater), Dinkelsbühl to Rothenburg ob der Tauber. Here you could turn West
following the Castle Road via Schwäbisch Hall (nice and far less touristy
than Rothenburg) and the Neckar valley (with lot's of castles e.g. 4 in
Neckarsteinach or the famous Heidelberg Castle). Than to Mainz and along the
Rhine valley and the Moselle valley (http://www.burg-eltz.de) to Trier.
From there by train via Luxembourg to Brussels.
But you would have to stay at minimum:
somewhere in the Bavarian Alps, e.g. Füssen
2 nights in Munich *)
somewhere between Rothenburg and Schwäbisch Hall
somewhere at the Rhine or Moselle

*) A rental car is not really useful there. To travel by public transport is
cheaper (a day ticket for public transport for your family is EUR 8,-).

Also if you're still with me... :-) :

1) Do I need a hotel reservation end of June in Paris, Munich,
Brussels etc. or can I "wing it" ???

You can use http://www.hrs.com to find and book for Munich. No risk at all
if you can turn up before 6pm.

???

Thanks SO MUCH for any help!!!

Rob

Old October 1st, 2003, 11:54 PM
Philippe Noth

Hi Rob,

1) Where in Switzerland? We want a hiking the Alps experience.

I'm sure most people will tell you about the Berner Oberland, places
like Gimmelwald and Mürren. It seems to be well known among this group's
readers.

My favourite region is the french-speaking Valais. It has the highest
mountains, some unspoilt and authentic valleys - I'm not thinking of
Zermatt or Verbier here - and a dry, sunny climate.

During the past 5 years, I took my American girlfriend all around Valais
and Berner Oberland, and I think her favourite place is the Val
d'Anniviers. It seems to be the favourite place of Kev Reynolds
("Walking in the Valais") as well.

Look for the villages of Saint-Luc, Zinal or Grimentz. In Saint-Luc, the
Hotel Bella Tola has a lot of charm (http://www.bellatola.ch) and the
choice of hikes is unlimited. We hiked a moutain called Le Touno last
August, 3017 meters (9900 ft) with amazing views. Zinal is further up
the valley, surrounded by several 4000s. Here you are closer to the icy
peaks, see http://www.noth.ch/h0106_e.html. I've never stayed in
Grimentz. That village is often said to be one of the nicest Alpine hamlets.

From Paris, you would need to take the train to Sion (with the French
fast train TGV to Geneva or Lausanne) and then a postal bus to climb the
hairpin curves of Val d'Anniviers.

If your time is limited, the Berner Oberland is a good option since it
is closer to your next destination Munich. Martin suggested a beautiful
hike, albeit very crowded (with Japanese). A wilder, tougher alternative
is the loop Grindelwald - First - Bachsee - Wart - Grosse Scheidegg -
Grindelwald. Duration: 6 hours roundtrip. Mail me for more details. The
lake Oeschinensee near Kandersteg is another touristy place with
dramatic scenery and good hiking opportunities.

--
Philippe Noth, Clarens/Montreux, Switzerland
http://www.noth.ch/

Old October 2nd, 2003, 01:40 AM
Steve B.

"Philippe Noth" wrote in message
Hi Rob,

[...]

From Paris, you would need to take the train to Sion (with the French
fast train TGV to Geneva or Lausanne) and then a postal bus to climb the
hairpin curves of Val d'Anniviers.

If your time is limited, the Berner Oberland is a good option since it
is closer to your next destination Munich. Martin suggested a beautiful
hike, albeit very crowded (with Japanese). A wilder, tougher alternative
is the loop Grindelwald - First - Bachsee - Wart - Grosse Scheidegg -
Grindelwald. Duration: 6 hours roundtrip. Mail me for more details. The
lake Oeschinensee near Kandersteg is another touristy place with
dramatic scenery and good hiking opportunities.

--
Philippe Noth, Clarens/Montreux, Switzerland
http://www.noth.ch/

I'll heartily endorse Philippe's suggestion on Valais. I would suggest
ordering the pamphlet "Sentiers Valaisans" from the Valais Tourist Office,
rue pre-Fleuri 6, CH-1951 Sion, Switzerland. www.valaistourism.ch,
www.matterhornstate.com, . The booklet gives an
oversight to 22 hiking tours, some taking several days. The Tour du Val
d'Anniviers is one of them. I've done them all at various times, my
favorite being Chamonix-Zermatt (this was when I was running the youth
hostel in Champex). Accomodation is often at SAC mountain huts where you'll
rub shoulders with the natives.

regards, Steve
sblume at yahoo dot com

Old October 2nd, 2003, 08:33 PM
Ksu93dlv

In Switzerland I'd highly recommend the Jungfraujoch region. Grindelwald is a
popular destination, though I prefer the other side of the mountain, in the
area closer to Murren. But no matter where you stay in that region you'll find
plenty of beautiful scenery and enchanting places to visit.