AMTRAK

Old December 16th, 2003, 07:44 AM
Miguel Cruz

Default AMTRAK

127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 wrote:
Hatunen wrote:
Oh, and I should add, that's the way voting works; some people
don't get their way.

I don't get to vote in NY

New York sent its National Guard into New Jersey to force you to pay taxes
to them?

miguel
--
Hundreds of travel photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu/
Old December 16th, 2003, 01:30 PM
B Vaughan

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 23:40:29 -0500, 127.0.0.1 wrote:

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 22:56:59 -0500, "Bill" wrote:

"127.0.0.1" wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 11:04:20 -0700, Hatunen wrote:

Oh, and I should add, that's the way voting works; some people
don't get their way.

I don't get to vote in NY

You live in a state. That state helps subsidize NYC regional transit. You
vote for state representatives.

I don't live in ny, next nonsensical conclusion

Look, don't fool yourself. If New York City were to vanish tomorrow,
Connecticut and New Jersey would soon have the economy of Nebraska.
--------
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.
Old December 16th, 2003, 10:19 PM
Miguel Cruz

127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 wrote:
B wrote:
Look, don't fool yourself. If New York City were to vanish tomorrow,
Connecticut and New Jersey would soon have the economy of Nebraska.

1. nonsense
2. exactly what would be wrong with that?

New Jersey and Connecticut are currently about the richest states in the
country. Nebraska isn't.

3. why should people outside NYC support NYC?

They don't. NYC is a huge net contributor to the federal budget. That money
then goes out to the hinterlands.

miguel
--
Hundreds of travel photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu/
Old December 28th, 2003, 05:07 AM
Bill

"127.0.0.1" wrote in message
On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 22:39:32 -0500, "Bill" wrote:

"127.0.0.1" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 09:26:12 -0700, Hatunen wrote:
There's nothing wrong with government subsidies, per se. IF the
people want them.

your statements are all well and good but in some places like NYC, the
taxation to support city transit riders reaches far and wide to tax
people who receive no benefits from mass transit, and that is where
resentment for government subsidies begins

Even people who don't ride trains in the NYC area benefit Without the

mass
transit, the traffic would be much worse than it already is. Plus the

City
itself would not be able to function, leading to an economic collapse

that
would effect all non-transit riders in the Metro area.

I don't care about traffic around NYC, yet I still subsidize their
mass transit

Do you care about the economic survival of NYC? That effects an area much
wider than NYC or even the NYC metro area.

Old December 28th, 2003, 05:11 AM
Bill

"127.0.0.1" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 22:53:43 -0500, "Bill" wrote:

"127.0.0.1" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 18:20:28 GMT, Rita
wrote:

Especially in New York City. One can't imagine what the city would be
like without it. Imagine if everyone attempted to drive a car to work

and
then park it.

people who live 20-50-80 miles away are tolled and taxed to provide
that mass transit in NYC, I rarely go into to NYC, and you can be sure
that my region is not served by NYC transit so why should I support
their mass transit?

Because if you're within 80 miles of NYC, your local economy depends on a
healthy NYC, and that depends on mass transit.

that's a bunch of BS, our area has nothing to do with nyc's economy.
according to census data less than 12% of the population here commutes
to NYC

You obviously don't understand economics. NYC's economic region is much
wider than NYC. Without NYC, the surrounding areas would have much, much
smaller economies. How many people commute to areas outside of NYC which
depend on the NYC regional economic engine? How many people from that area
(assuming you are outside of that area) come to your area to recreate,
purchase property, frequent businesses?

I live 150 miles from NYC. However I appreciate the influence that NYC has
on the economy of my region. And I'm happy to pay a few pennies of my gas
or other taxes to help the NYC region have a functioning mass transit system
without which many more of them would want to move up here.