Hard landing

Old February 8th, 2004, 12:52 PM
Sjoerd

Default Hard landing

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze6kuhd/MD-80.mpg

Old February 8th, 2004, 03:06 PM
R J Carpenter

"Sjoerd" wrote in message
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze6kuhd/MD-80.mpg

Such a thread is on another site I read (and apparently Sjoerd does too).
IIRC, this event took place during the trials of the prototype. It was the
"hard landing test", but a mistake was made and the plane landed much harder
than intended. It was repaired and used many years as a testbed.

Old February 8th, 2004, 03:46 PM
None

"R J Carpenter" wrote in message

"Sjoerd" wrote in message
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze6kuhd/MD-80.mpg

Such a thread is on another site I read (and apparently Sjoerd does too).
IIRC, this event took place during the trials of the prototype. It was

the
"hard landing test", but a mistake was made and the plane landed much

harder
than intended. It was repaired and used many years as a testbed.

It looks awfully close to being a Northwest 80.

--
***/***/***
When life gives you lemons

***/***/***

Old February 9th, 2004, 01:04 AM
Robert M. Gary

"Sjoerd" wrote in message ...
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze6kuhd/MD-80.mpg

Odd that they happened to have a camera if this really was just an
accident. Looks like something they staged. In any case, the deck
angle looked good. The decent rate was probably high because the speed
got too low.

Old February 10th, 2004, 07:19 AM
Gerald Sylvester

The decent rate was probably high because the speed
got too low.

the two are indepdent for the tolerances that a pilot
*should* fly at and definitely for a ATP-rated pilot.
So having said that, the descent rate was definitely too
high because the pilot didn't have enough power
in. Power control altitude and Attitude controls
speed in slow flight. Power + Attitude = performance.

Gerald sylvester
PPL-ASEL 12/17/03

Old February 10th, 2004, 02:22 PM
DALing

Sort of difficult to get everything exactly where you want it when it's
INTENDED as a hard landing, though

(It WAS a test, after all - just never intended that that damage level
occur)

Pretty difficult to set up what amounts to a controlled crash and have
everything work perfectly

link.net...

Old February 10th, 2004, 04:21 PM
Morgoth Bauglir

Sort of difficult to get everything exactly where you want it when it's
INTENDED as a hard landing, though

Do you know the details of this incident? (NTSB URL, if it's readily
available and convenient to find, would be nice).

When, where (KYUM?), who was flying?

I knew of an incident similar to this during the initial testing of the
MD-8x, and I knew that the fuselage buckled, but I didn't know that the
whole tail came off.
Old February 10th, 2004, 05:41 PM
DALing

me neither, but it's rather well documented, isn't it. Maybe just didn't
surface until now.

Like the hidden story of how Boeing took the original 747 into Renton (gasps
from pilots who know that Renton is a bit over 5000' (5379)) and needless to
say a "bit" short for "normal" 747 ops. Anyway - they needed to paint the
bird so they took it to Renton. Landing from the north - small problem -
they clipped the seawall (field directly abuts Lake Washington) and ripped
out 2 of the main gear (probably because of the VASI and not remembering
they were 40' up in the air - oops) so guess what - they turned off ALL the
airport lights and closed the airport (actually they would have had to close
it anyway - 747 on the runway) and hauled off the bird to the paint hanger
and fixed it and flew it out (painted of course). NEVER any mention of the
incident - would sort have looked bad to crash the bird upon which they bet
the company. Amazing what CAN be stifled, isn't it.