Negril Jamaica trip report

Old December 15th, 2005, 06:03 PM posted to rec.travel.caribbean

Default Negril Jamaica trip report

Destination: Negril, Jamaica
When: January 23-27, 2005
Itinerary: Flew into Montego Bay, motor coach to Negril and back
You can view tons of pictures at www.shellistravel.com

Looking for someplace to go and get completely away from it all? Try
Negril! This is the first all-inclusive vacation we have been on and I
don't know if we want to go any other way now! For those who are
unaware of what "all-inclusive" means...it is a vacation that
includes air, hotel, taxes, tips, meals, drinks (yes, even alcoholic)
as well as activities. Basically, you could leave home with no cash and
get along just fine (but then you'd miss out on the shopping!)

We checked into the RIU Tropical Bay in Negril. We were greeted with a
welcome drink and beachfront room! Our luggage was brought to our room
for us. The first thing we did was change into something cool and found
chairs on the beach. The sand was powdery and white, the water was blue
and clear, the sun was bright and warm and everything was GOOD!

A few days after arriving, we decided to hire a driver to bring us up
to the local craft market. This wasn't our favorite part of the trip!
We were begged to step into the shops and buy something. It didn't
take long to figure out that each shop sold basically the same items!
We are not very good bargainers, although Ross was tougher on the price
than I was! Luckily we told our driver to pick us up in an hour, so we
didn't have long to wait for him. We made our purchases and left.
Next our driver took us up to the Pirate's Cove so we could see the
Negril cliffs and cliff divers. We had a few drinks as we sat along the
cliffs and finally got to see a diver jump from a tree on the edge of
the cliff down into the water. We also saw a spectacular sunset from
the edge of the cliff.

Back to the beach where we spent the rest of our time in Jamaica. It
was so relaxing! The staff at the hotel were fantastic. Everyone smiled
and sang and were so friendly to us. The food was good, the drinks were
refreshing and the resort itself was kept very nice. It was hard to
leave, but of course we missed the kids. Jamaica is definitely on my
list of places to return to again.

My Recommendations: GO! Negril was wonderful! We flew into the Montego
Bay airport and drove through the city on our way to Negril. It was
much more congested and crowded than Negril. The hotel properties were
fit tightly together along a narrow strip of beach. Although I wasn't
able to see the beach side of any Montego Bay properties, I'm glad we
chose Negril. It was worth the hour drive. Bring a light jacket or
sweater for the evening and a candle to burn in your room in case it
smelled musty (common in the tropical islands.) And, bring your own
beverage mug for the all-inclusive drinks! The resorts will serve you
drinks in small 8 ounce glasses. We brought 24 ounce covered mugs that
they happily filled for us. The mugs stayed cool, kept the sand out,
and saved us many trips up to the bar.

Old December 15th, 2005, 09:10 PM posted to rec.travel.caribbean

Sounds like the exact vacation I would prefer to avoid!
Welcome to Jamrock!!!

Redlocks

oups.com...

Old December 16th, 2005, 12:18 AM posted to rec.travel.caribbean

On 12/15/2005 12:03 PM Yelled "Wubba-Wubba"
then wrote:
Destination: Negril, Jamaica
When: January 23-27, 2005
Itinerary: Flew into Montego Bay, motor coach to Negril and back
You can view tons of pictures at
www.shellistravel.com

[...]

Thanks for your trip report. Where did you fly in from? Was it on a
commercial airlines or a charter? How was the flight? If you don't
mind telling, about how much did the trip cost? Did you book it
yourselves or did you use a T. A.? :-)

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old December 16th, 2005, 04:22 PM posted to rec.travel.caribbean

We flew from Minneapolis on a charter with TransGlobal Vacations. The
flight was fine, even getting us in about 40 minutes early! It was nice
flying into Montego Bay over the ocean. It looked like we were going to
land right on the water! We paid about $1000 per person for 5 days in
late January. We had our trip booked for Breezes in Montego Bay at
first, but after a lot of research we decided to spend the extra $100
each and move to the RIU in Negril. We are going to Ocho Rios in
February and will be staying at the Starfish (best priced.) We're
paying around $800 per person for 5 days on a charter with MLT
Vacations. Hope this helps! Did you check out the photos on the web
site? And by the way, I am a travel agent. I have a home office.So yes,
I booked my own trip and yes, I used an agent. :-) Hehe.

Old December 16th, 2005, 11:45 PM posted to rec.travel.caribbean

Hi Tom,
No, that doesn't reflect any agent discount.

Shelli