Fresh Cream in Germany (sorry if a bit OT)

Old July 30th, 2004, 02:40 AM
Bill Smith

Default Fresh Cream in Germany (sorry if a bit OT)

German guest going back on Saturday asked for recipes for some of the
meals we've served. Some of her favourites involve fresh cream
(single/double, as in supermarket cartons in UK).
According to our friend, such cream simply doesn't exist in Germany.
Is this so, or can anybody suggest where (e.g. supermarket chain) she
might obtain it in Germany (Thuringia - specifically Weimar)?

TIA,
Bill

Old July 31st, 2004, 11:36 PM
m.berger

Bill Smith schrieb:
German guest going back on Saturday asked for recipes for some of the
meals we've served. Some of her favourites involve fresh cream
(single/double, as in supermarket cartons in UK).
According to our friend, such cream simply doesn't exist in Germany.
Is this so, or can anybody suggest where (e.g. supermarket chain) she
might obtain it in Germany (Thuringia - specifically Weimar)?

TIA,
Bill

LOL, you can buy it in every supermarket

Old August 2nd, 2004, 07:38 AM
Tim Challenger

On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 00:36:15 +0200, m.berger wrote:

Bill Smith schrieb:
German guest going back on Saturday asked for recipes for some of the
meals we've served. Some of her favourites involve fresh cream
(single/double, as in supermarket cartons in UK).
According to our friend, such cream simply doesn't exist in Germany.
Is this so, or can anybody suggest where (e.g. supermarket chain) she
might obtain it in Germany (Thuringia - specifically Weimar)?

TIA,
Bill

LOL, you can buy it in every supermarket

You can't get double cream anywhere, nor clotted cream. Or at at least
after 19 years of looking I've not found it. The best you can do is to use
single cream (Schlagsahne/Schlagobers) and reduce water or milk in the
recipe if there is any.
It's actually quite way to make clotted cream yourself (if a little time
consuming) but I haven't really found a decent alternative to double cream.

--
Tim C.