Paris Notes (2)

Old July 29th, 2004, 04:51 PM
Herbie Jurvanen

Default Paris Notes (2)

In , Donna Evleth wrote:

When I was growing up in California in the 1930s and 1940s, Californians
never doused any Mexican dishes with olives. This is new. Surely imported
by someone from somewhere else, probably the Midwest.

Yes, clearly because the Midwest is famous for its olive culture.

The "garbage in, garbage out" conversations by the local pensioners get
more and more amusing with each passing moon.

--
Herbie J.
Famous Curator

Old July 29th, 2004, 06:30 PM
Donna Evleth

Dans l'article .net,
"Gregory Morrow" a écrit :

Perhaps the word "Indiana" rolls nicely off the French tongue...who knows?

It doesn't. My own guess is the connection with "Indians", as in native
Americans.

Donna Evleth

Old July 29th, 2004, 06:31 PM
Mxsmanic

Donna Evleth writes:

It doesn't. My own guess is the connection with "Indians", as in native
Americans.

Native Americans aren't Indians. They may or may not be aboriginal.
Indians don't come from America.

Old July 29th, 2004, 06:34 PM
jenn

Mxsmanic wrote:

Donna Evleth writes:

It doesn't. My own guess is the connection with "Indians", as in native
Americans.

Native Americans aren't Indians. They may or may not be aboriginal.
Indians don't come from America.

duh -- that is what they call themselves and what they were
traditionally called

so they are 'Indians' -- just like there are people from Paris who have
never set foot outside Texas or Tennessee and People from Cairo who have
never set foot outside Illinois