Paris Notes (2)

Old August 1st, 2004, 01:13 PM
The Reids

Default Houston/Milan Mexican food, was Paris Notes (2)

Following up to The Reids

I also
found that most US immigrants came from the far south also, so is
there more chilli influence in US Italian cuisine than in Italian
cuisine?

I've been doing some more gogling on where UK Italian immigrants
came from and it seems they got here a lot earlier, some guy
called Ceaser J. I think he invented salad?
--
Mike Reid
If god wanted us to be vegetarians he wouldn't have made animals out of meat.

Old August 1st, 2004, 02:10 PM
Olivers

The Reids extrapolated from data available...

Following up to The Reids

The traditional view is that chiles traveled from the Caribbean and the
Americas to the Orient and to Europe by Spanish and Portuguese ships,

and I have always wondered why Spain didn't take to them much.

on the italian chilli subject I just browsed some Italian
cookbooks over croissants and coffee in the garden, looking for
chilli references, I found a few for the deepsouth as you
suggested I would (as did JU earlier in another thread). I also
found that most US immigrants came from the far south also, so is
there more chilli influence in US Italian cuisine than in Italian
cuisine?
I'm working my way down the country and haven't spotted a single
chilli yet!

The most common Italian usage seems to be dried red chile flakes & seeds or
whole dried chiles added to tomato sauces (of which the best known is
probably "arrabiata" - "Arabian style?, testimony to Sicilian origin?)

In Italy, I'd guess (although used in Northern kitchens for Southern
dishes), you're talking about Naples and Scitily (and ought to figure that
they may have been cheap substitutes for more expensive black pepper. I
haven't really expereienced any great tendency to add chile in
ItalianAmerican restaurants, but certainly confirmation that since the
Italians here were overwhelmingly of Southern origin we get a lost of pasta
and no polenta (and a sort of Southern percentage of chiles).

TMO

Old August 2nd, 2004, 08:58 AM
The Reids

Following up to Olivers

The most common Italian usage seems to be dried red chile flakes & seeds or
whole dried chiles added to tomato sauces (of which the best known is
probably "arrabiata" - "Arabian style?, testimony to Sicilian origin?)

Probably, arab is still arab in italian. My only book that gives
a source has it sourced in Basilicata.

In Italy, I'd guess (although used in Northern kitchens for Southern
dishes), you're talking about Naples and Scitily (and ought to figure that
they may have been cheap substitutes for more expensive black pepper. I
haven't really expereienced any great tendency to add chile in
ItalianAmerican restaurants, but certainly confirmation that since the
Italians here were overwhelmingly of Southern origin we get a lost of pasta
and no polenta (and a sort of Southern percentage of chiles).

I tried to find out what early english/italian restaurants were
like without luck, but I think rissotto has a lowish profile
here, polenta only turned up recently in any amount while pasta
is regarded as the main italian item along with pizza. But I
suspect bulk pizza eating followed a route something like
Naples-New York-London and outwards.