Is London Affordable for Americans??

Old April 27th, 2009, 11:00 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
X YO

Default Is London Affordable for Americans??

Since our economy is in the pits (with lots of other countries) and our
dollar is tanking, I wondered if any Americans in this group can share
if they found London affordable to visit now?

London always has been an expensive place for Americans but I am
concerned if it has gotten more so due to the above monetary problems
and our dollar. Any information you can share will be greatly
appreciated. Thanks!

Trice

Old April 28th, 2009, 12:37 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
S Viemeister[_3_]

X YO wrote:
Since our economy is in the pits (with lots of other countries) and our
dollar is tanking, I wondered if any Americans in this group can share
if they found London affordable to visit now?

London always has been an expensive place for Americans but I am
concerned if it has gotten more so due to the above monetary problems
and our dollar. Any information you can share will be greatly
appreciated. Thanks!

Your information is somewhat out of date. The pound has gone from
around $2.11 last year to about $1.46 now.
Old April 28th, 2009, 04:41 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jean O'Boyle

"X YO" wrote in message

Since our economy is in the pits (with lots of other countries) and our
dollar is tanking, I wondered if any Americans in this group can share
if they found London affordable to visit now?

London always has been an expensive place for Americans but I am
concerned if it has gotten more so due to the above monetary problems
and our dollar. Any information you can share will be greatly
appreciated. Thanks!

Trice

You would be wise to go now. The dollar is worth much more now than when we
were there last April.
London is expensive but very much worth it. We look forward to going again
soon as four days was too short of a time to see all that we wanted to see
and do.

--Jean

Old April 28th, 2009, 07:11 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
mikeos

X YO wrote:
Since our economy is in the pits (with lots of other countries) and our
dollar is tanking, I wondered if any Americans in this group can share
if they found London affordable to visit now?

London always has been an expensive place for Americans but I am
concerned if it has gotten more so due to the above monetary problems
and our dollar. Any information you can share will be greatly
appreciated. Thanks!

Now's the time. Read yesterday that the pound has fallen against the US$
around 25% in the last few months.
Old April 29th, 2009, 02:54 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

it depends if you are one of the few welthy americans......
Old April 29th, 2009, 06:03 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
mikeos

hackamore wrote:

Hotels still a bit high... but airfare from the US to the UK is usually
cheaper than continental europe... and I find that once I'm there normal
living expenses (meals, drinks, museum fees) are quite reasonable... in
fact most museums are FREE.

Yes, we must be MAD!
Old April 30th, 2009, 07:05 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
poldy

In article ,
S Viemeister wrote:

X YO wrote:
Since our economy is in the pits (with lots of other countries) and our
dollar is tanking, I wondered if any Americans in this group can share
if they found London affordable to visit now?

London always has been an expensive place for Americans but I am
concerned if it has gotten more so due to the above monetary problems
and our dollar. Any information you can share will be greatly
appreciated. Thanks!

Your information is somewhat out of date. The pound has gone from
around $2.11 last year to about $1.46 now.

Well it was around $1.60 back in July 2006 when I last went.

So not much of a savings, at around $1.50.

Some were predicting the pound was falling towards parity with the
dollar but that never happened.

Even at parity, central London would be expensive.
Old April 30th, 2009, 02:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
X YO

Which raises the question, ""Affordable" in
what way?" For a holiday? To live in? And
what do you personally consider "affordable";
I can afford quite a bit more than some other
people.

To clarify: For a week or two vacation. Like how many thousands of
American dollars would one need ?? I guess the best thing for me to do
is keep aware of what the pound is to the dollar closer to the time of
the "hoped for" trip.

My question appears to be stupid because a trip in the US can be much
cheaper if one is staying at the YMCA rather than the Waldorf where our
poster who "can afford quite a bit more than some other people" would
probably prefer.g It's all relative to what one can and wants to spend
I guess. Thanks anyway!

Trice