A Travel and vacations forum. TravelBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » TravelBanter forum » Travelling Style » Backpacking and Budget travel
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

TIME WALK

Old January 25th, 2010, 01:32 AM posted to rec.travel.budget.backpack
blacklight[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default TIME WALK

We were Camping in Australia’s Blue Mountains when the car went on
strike. To fill in time we decided to film Time. So we sat on a rock,
for 13 hours, and clicked a single frame 1872 times. Run as a film
strip it shows Time walking from sunrise into the night. Enjoy at
http://www.oz-greetings.com.au/video/preview/76
Greetings - Klaus
Old April 19th, 2010, 04:44 AM
Banned

First recorded activity by TravelBanter: Nov 2009

I heard Blue Mountains is so popular for day tours in Sydney... But I'm wondering, how were the blue mountains formed in Australia?
Old November 13th, 2012, 01:09 PM

First recorded activity by TravelBanter: Nov 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackEyes View Post
I heard Blue Mountains is so popular for day tours in Sydney... But I'm wondering, how were the blue mountains formed in Australia?
Love the Blue Mountains and the amazing history behind them! Archaeological studies show that the Blue Mountains were formed around one million years ago as part of the Kosciusko Uplift during the Pliocene Epoch...There are many books I have read on this, and one day my dream is to visit.If you want more info theres a good website called bluemountainsaustralia.com (does what it say on the label haha)
Old January 20th, 2013, 08:47 AM
Banned

First recorded activity by TravelBanter: Dec 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackEyes View Post
Archaeological studies indicate that the Blue Mountains were formed around one million years ago as part of the Kosciusko Uplift during the Pliocene Epoch.
Pressure from the east raised the area upwards in a monoclinal fold, reaching an elevation of around three thousand feet to the top of the Blue Mountains where Mount Victoria is today.
In 1788 the Blue Mountains were originally named "Carmarthen Hills" and "Landsdowne Hills" by Governor Phillip, however, it wasn’t long after, that the distinctive blue haze surrounding the area saw the change in name to the Blue Mountains.
The Blue Mountains is densely populated by oil bearing Eucalyptus trees. The atmosphere is filled with finely dispersed droplets of oil, which, in combination with dust particles and water vapour, scatter short-wave length rays of light which are predominantly blue in colour.

Last edited by kathy20052012 : January 25th, 2013 at 07:35 AM.