suggestions for visitors to London- winter evenings

Old November 24th, 2004, 01:38 PM
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn

Default suggestions for visitors to London- winter evenings

Obviously, shows and concerts, but I'm wondering what else to suggest
for four visitors- who I think would be looking to do something else.
They'll be in London on December 20 and 21. None of the main museums
seems to have late opening on those days (Monday and Tuesday.) Anything
else you could suggest? How late would shops be open then? (While I've
lived in London for two years, I've never actually been there at that
time of year!) Providing the weather isn't terrible, obviously just
walking and taking everything in would be fun, but I'd appreciate some
indoor suggestions for them.

TIA

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
Old November 26th, 2004, 01:45 AM
Phil

chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn wrote:

Obviously, shows and concerts, but I'm wondering what else to suggest
for four visitors- who I think would be looking to do something else.
They'll be in London on December 20 and 21. None of the main museums
seems to have late opening on those days (Monday and Tuesday.) Anything
else you could suggest? How late would shops be open then? (While I've
lived in London for two years, I've never actually been there at that
time of year!) Providing the weather isn't terrible, obviously just
walking and taking everything in would be fun, but I'd appreciate some
indoor suggestions for them.

A panto?
Ice skating at Sommerset House (expensive).

Phil

Old November 29th, 2004, 09:55 PM
Richard

wrote in message

Obviously, shows and concerts, but I'm wondering what
else to suggest for four visitors- who I think would be
looking to do something else. They'll be in London on
December 20 and 21.

Last year, light shows were projected onto various tourist attractions (ex.
Buckingham Palace) during the evenings. I went for walks in the evenings
since the sights had a different look than they do by day.

Keep in mind that I've no problems going for walks in temperatures well
below freezing, so late-December London weather didn't discourage me but
your visitors might not be too keen if they can't handle the cold.

IMHO, an introductory visit to England should include a trip to a pub for
dinner and a pint of bitter (or two, or three...). So if this will be your
visitors' first trip to England, it's definitely something to consider.

Richard

Old November 29th, 2004, 10:13 PM

wrote in message

Obviously, shows and concerts, but I'm wondering what
else to suggest for four visitors- who I think would be
looking to do something else. They'll be in London on
December 20 and 21.

Last year, light shows were projected onto various tourist attractions (ex.
Buckingham Palace) during the evenings. I went for walks in the evenings
since the sights had a different look than they do by day.

Keep in mind that I've no problems going for walks in temperatures well
below freezing, so late-December London weather didn't discourage me but
your visitors might not be too keen if they can't handle the cold.

They live in Boston (though from Peru originally)- so cold isn't a
problem. Thanks!

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net