Prague, Vienna, or Munich at Christmas?

Old October 12th, 2006, 03:54 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
keybdwizrd

Default Prague, Vienna, or Munich at Christmas?

I am exploring vacation options for my family (includes two teenagers)
over the Christmas holidays (Dec 23 - 30). We just have a week, and a
couple of options a

Direct flight from Chicago to Munich... Spend a few days in Munich
(including Christmas), take a train to Prague or Vienna (or somewhere
else) for a few days... Train back to Munich, fly direct back to
Chicago.

or

Fly from Chicago to Prague (make a connection somewhere).... Spend a
few days in Prague (including Christmas), take a train to Vienna (or
somewhere else) for a few days... Fly back to Chicago from Vienna
(making a connection somewhere).

Munich is an attractive destination because of the direct flights (we
can also fly via United, where I have status and many thousands of
miles). But I've read about spending Christmas in Prague, and it
sounds enchanting. We'd probably stay at the Aria Hotel. And my son
would like to go to the state opera in Vienna.

So, for those of you who've been to these places (I haven't) -- If you
could spend a few days in each of two cities in Europe at
Christmastime, which would you choose? Prague, Vienna, or Munich?
We've been to England, France, and Italy several times and are open to
suggestions as to new places to visit.

Thanks.

Michael
Chicago, USA

Old October 12th, 2006, 04:38 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
pltrgyst

On 11 Oct 2006 19:54:56 -0700, "keybdwizrd"
wrote:

So, for those of you who've been to these places (I haven't) -- If you
could spend a few days in each of two cities in Europe at
Christmastime, which would you choose? Prague, Vienna, or Munich?
We've been to England, France, and Italy several times and are open to
suggestions as to new places to visit.

I'd choose Munich and Vienna. Vienna is gorgeous, and the christmas
market at the Schonbrunn Palce is exceptionally nice.

And I wouldn't stay in Munich, but would travel by car to the xmas
markets in Nuremburg, Rotenburg ob der Tauber, or other Bavarian
towns. They are all spectacularly beautiful in the tourist off-season.

And there is nothing anywhere like being in a Lutheran cathedral in
Germany on a snowy Xmas eve, freezing your ass off, and hearing
Silent Night sung in German (and I'm an atheist).

-- Larry

Old October 12th, 2006, 05:21 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Wiener Sänger

keybdwizrd wrote:
[...]

Vienna, definitely. Austrian Airlines flies between Dulles and Vienna,
otherwise you will have to connect via United and its codeshare
partners in Continental Europe, or on American.

www.wien.info

-R

Old October 12th, 2006, 06:58 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
george

wrote:

------snipped-----

And I wouldn't stay in Munich, but would travel by car to the xmas
markets in Nuremburg, Rotenburg ob der Tauber, or other Bavarian
towns. They are all spectacularly beautiful in the tourist off-season.

There is only one problem with this, most German Christmas Markets
close Dec23. By the way, Stuttgart has Europe's largest Christmas
Market, and there are nearby smaller ones accessable in 15 minutes by
public transportation that are themed and attract over a million
visitor each: Ludwigsburg Baroque Christmas Market by the largest
perfectly preserved Baroque palace in Germany; and Esslingen Medieval &
Christmas Market in the excellently preserved medieval Altstadt of that
city. Whereas Stuttgart's and Ludwigsburg's close 23Dec, Essligen's
closes 22Dec.

You are certainly right about visiting some places in the off season,
they probably aren't any more beautiful (except for me Neuschwanstein
in the snow), but they won't be jam-packed with American and Japanese
tourists that for me completely destroy the experience. Germany is
full of wonderful places to visit without having to go to the more
popular places, and many of these other places are just as enjoyable or
more enjoyable as the more visited ones. Afterall, Germany has over
30,000 castles and palaces alone, and a large number of other excellent
places to visit. We've been in spectacular monasteries and churches,
even in summer, and have been rthe only visitors there.

And there is nothing anywhere like being in a Lutheran cathedral in
Germany on a snowy Xmas eve, freezing your ass off, and hearing
Silent Night sung in German (and I'm an atheist).

Reminds me of early January of this year when my wife took me to visit
an old convent church in Gutenzell in Upper Swabia near her home
village for the excellent carved creche figures. There was snow on the
ground and it was cold, but when we entered the church it was like
entering a deep freeze. You were lucky to be in an audience, when I
was married in a nearby German church in February a few years ago I was
immediately sick afterwards being just in a suit (with just a very
inefficient electrical heating pad under our feet), whereas the guests
all got to wear their top coats. It's much better in being in a
Catholic church, at least in Upper Swabia, because many are quite
ornate and beautiful. And I was lucky to be married in a Protestant
ceremony in a Catholic church as in Biberach an der Riss both religious
communities have shared this beautiful old church for centuries,
probably one of the first examples of religious tolerance anywhere.

George

Old October 12th, 2006, 08:38 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
tile

For the atmosphere and prices I would choose Prague.
Prague is one of the most loved destinations in Europe now, and offers a
lot to all types of Tourists.-

Besides, the River Moldava flows inside the town. and offers very nice
promenades and views.

a few nice excursions around Prague are also available

the Castle fo Karlstein ( the best preserved castle in Cz )
and the town of Kutna Hora, that once was very rich because of the Silver
Mines.

you can visit the Silver mines.. you can vist caves where Hussites were
hiding
you can visit a church where most of the adobes are made with bones of
people that died in a Medioeval epidemy.-
In fact, Kutna Hora is the second important town for monuments in the CZ .

Both Kutna Hora and Karlstein are easily reachable with local means of
Transport.

you can vist Karlstein with a guide and groups in different
languages.
s.com...

Old October 12th, 2006, 10:01 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
S. Gione

Vienna, especially the Christmas Markt is very good, but there is a caveat
that comes with this:

We were there a few years ago and were warned that restaurants would be
closed on Christmas Eve. Coming from a tourist destination, we told
ourselves ... no way, and went to an evening chorale performance in one of
the churches.

When the performance was over, we were unable to find a single restaurant
open for dinner. Our evening meal was chocolate Santas that the hotel
graciously left on our pillows.

s.com...

Old October 13th, 2006, 01:49 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
keybdwizrd

Thanks to everyone for their input.

So, with the Christmas markets ending just before Christmas, and with
restaurants closing on Christmas Eve, and with probably everything
closed on Christmas Day, perhaps it'd be better to plan our trip for
Dec 27 - Jan 3, or something similar? Unfortunately, my children have
school until Dec 22, but are then off for two weeks. So we cannot get
to Europe the week before Christmas.

Michael

Old October 13th, 2006, 10:18 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
John[_7_]

"keybdwizrd" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks to everyone for their input.

So, with the Christmas markets ending just before Christmas, and with
restaurants closing on Christmas Eve, and with probably everything
closed on Christmas Day, perhaps it'd be better to plan our trip for
Dec 27 - Jan 3, or something similar? Unfortunately, my children have
school until Dec 22, but are then off for two weeks. So we cannot get
to Europe the week before Christmas.

Michael

According to this link:

http://www.hotelconnect.co.uk/hubs/c...hoc=newslett69

Prague's Christmas markets are on from 25th November to 1st January.

John.

Old October 14th, 2006, 12:40 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Peer

If they're young enough, why not take them out of school? You can then
travel during low season and catch the Weinachtsmarkts....