Moscow in December?

Old October 8th, 2006, 04:49 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
keybdwizrd

Default Moscow in December?

We're a reasonably well-traveled family in the US (with a couple of
teenagers), but we've never been to Russia. In talking about a
possible trip overseas for Christmas, we've joked about going to Moscow
in the winter (the weather wouldn't necessarily bother us as we live in
Chicago). But would this actually be an interesting trip, or am I nuts
for even thinking about it?

Michael

Old October 8th, 2006, 06:10 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gerald Oliver Swift

On 7 Oct 2006 20:49:00 -0700, keybdwizrd wrote:

We're a reasonably well-traveled family in the US (with a couple of
teenagers), but we've never been to Russia. In talking about a
possible trip overseas for Christmas, we've joked about going to Moscow
in the winter (the weather wouldn't necessarily bother us as we live in
Chicago). But would this actually be an interesting trip, or am I nuts
for even thinking about it?

Michael

In my opinion, it is the best time of year to go.

I spent last Christmas there and it was magical. Snow, Christmas trees and
Christmas lights everywhere, plenty of festive fun. OK, it was cold (down to
minus 20C), but if you wrap up well you won't feel a thing. Use the metro -
it's a good way to get a free "warm up" whilst sightseeing out and about.
All the main sights are open and are an absolute delight to visit without
the huge throngs of tourists which they attract in summer.

Wear walking boots - pavements are mostly snow-free but can be icy. Go for a
troika ride in Izmailovo Park, have a go at ice skating on Patriarch's Pond
or go to an afternoon outdoor dance with the old-timers and war veterans in
Park Pobedy. Go to the Bolshoi (closed in summer) - tickets can be booked on
the theatre's own web-site for peanuts - and also, do not miss out on the
Moscow State Circus. Watching the sheer joy in children's faces was almost
as good as watching the acts themselves!

I have made several trips to Russia at different times of the year and I can
honestly say that my winter trips have been by far the best. Winter also
tends to brings out the very best in Muscovites!

If you do decide to go, you'll have a ball
Regards
Gerry
Old October 8th, 2006, 08:16 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
but I'm the only gay in the village of Llanddewi Brefi

keybdwizrd wrote:
We're a reasonably well-traveled family in the US (with a couple of
teenagers), but we've never been to Russia. In talking about a
possible trip overseas for Christmas, we've joked about going to Moscow
in the winter (the weather wouldn't necessarily bother us as we live in
Chicago). But would this actually be an interesting trip, or am I nuts
for even thinking about it?

Michael

how about a river cruise Moscow-St.Petersburg....

Old October 8th, 2006, 08:16 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom Peel[_2_]

keybdwizrd schrieb:
We're a reasonably well-traveled family in the US (with a couple of
teenagers), but we've never been to Russia. In talking about a
possible trip overseas for Christmas, we've joked about going to Moscow
in the winter (the weather wouldn't necessarily bother us as we live in
Chicago). But would this actually be an interesting trip, or am I nuts
for even thinking about it?

Michael

I can only echo Gerry' reply. Take some really old hiking boots. The
street cleaners remove most of the snow, but the salt they put down is
extremely corrosive. Someone told me it contains acid. Take a hat, or
buy a chapka at one of the street markets.

Watch out for the traffic. Moscow drivers are merciless.
T.

--
J'ai rêvé qu'on pouvait s'aimer
au souffle du vent
Old October 8th, 2006, 05:14 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Larry in Berkeley

keybdwizrd wrote:
In talking about a
possible trip overseas for Christmas, we've joked about going to Moscow

Don't forget that the Russians celebrate Christmas on 6 January (that's
25 December on the old calendar). New Year's Eve, however, is
celebrated on the new calendar, same as elsewhere in the world.

Larry in Berkeley, California

Old October 8th, 2006, 05:15 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Larry in Berkeley

Gerald Oliver Swift wrote:

I spent last Christmas there and it was magical. Snow, Christmas trees and
Christmas lights everywhere, plenty of festive fun.

Was that around 25 December or 6 January?

Larry in Berkeley, California

Old November 4th, 2006, 08:39 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Boris Babaitsev

Use www.hotels-moscow.ru - Moscow based company for the hotel accommodation
in Moscow and many other cities of Russia. We provide car transfers and FREE
visa support.

Boris

ups.com...