How much (£) should i budget for this trip?

Old August 29th, 2005, 05:03 PM
Miguel Cruz

Rubber Ducky wrote:
OK, i've kinda priced it up and this is what i've come up with:

These look line online prices, which are much higher than in-person travel
agency prices, at least outside of Europe.

THAILAND (Bangkok) - HONG KONG
(BKK - HKG, Flight cost ~£175)

On Orient Thai this should be about US$50.

(LIM - CPT, Flight cost ~£2,800)

That's ridiculous. You're paying more than the cost of a round-the-world
ticket for a single one-way flight.

miguel
Old August 29th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Gregory Morrow

Miguel Cruz wrote:

Rubber Ducky wrote:
OK, i've kinda priced it up and this is what i've come up with:

These look line online prices, which are much higher than in-person travel
agency prices, at least outside of Europe.

THAILAND (Bangkok) - HONG KONG
(BKK - HKG, Flight cost ~£175)

On Orient Thai this should be about US$50.

(LIM - CPT, Flight cost ~£2,800)

That's ridiculous. You're paying more than the cost of a round-the-world
ticket for a single one-way flight.

It's apparently one of those "long, thin" routes...

--
Best
Greg

Old August 29th, 2005, 06:35 PM
Tchiowa

Rubber Ducky wrote:
OK, i've kinda priced it up and this is what i've come up with:

PERU (Lima) - SOUTH AFRICA (Cape Town)
(LIM - CPT, Flight cost ~=A32,800)

That flight from Lima to Cape town is the killer!!!!

Try looking at Lima to Rio. Then Varig to Luanda and South African
Airways to Cape Town.

Old August 29th, 2005, 07:33 PM
Iceman

OK, i've kinda priced it up and this is what i've come up with:
PERU (Lima) - SOUTH AFRICA (Cape Town)
(LIM - CPT, Flight cost ~=A32,800)

That flight from Lima to Cape town is the killer!!!!

Try looking at Lima to Rio. Then Varig to Luanda and South African Airways
to Cape Town.

No need for Luanda. Just go from Lima to Buenos Aires and then take
Malaysian from Buenos Aires direct to Cape Town (the flight then
continues on to Johannesburg and Kuala Lumpur).

Old August 30th, 2005, 01:19 PM

Hi David,

It seems to me that you are flying around a lot, which means that
during this travel you need to have some schedule which means less
'free' travel.

My question is: Why don't you travel through Europe by train? You see
more of the countries and some trains you can also sleep on? I.e. go to
Munich, Berlin, Warschau, (Maybe Vilnius & Riga) and then st.
Petersburg.
Same goes for: ever concidered the Trains Siberian Express? Takes 7
days, but you go all through Russia, see Irkutst, maybe through
Mongolia to Beijing.
I mean: you have two years .

Then, from Beijing overland to Hongkong, see some more China and go to
Thailand. Do the beaches there and then India.

Budgetting wise: Maybe GBP 200 for visa's, trans sib will be around GBP
150, China I'd say GBP 12 per day, Thailand GBP 8, India also. This is
using budget accommodation, staying (a bit!) clear on beer, eating
local food, using cheapest form of transportation. I don't know the
costs for traveling by train through Europe.

For the remainder of your trip I cannot really help you, since I have
never been there. (also not trans sib, but planning)

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
Aritha.

Rubber Ducky wrote:
UK (Birmingham) - GERMANY (Munich) - POLAND (Auswitch, Warsaw) - RUSSIA
( St. Petersburg, Moscow) - INDIA (Delhi, Japiur) - CHINA (Bejing) - HONG
KONG - THAILAND (Bangkok) - AUSTRALIA (Melbourne) - NEW ZEALAND
(Auckland, Wellington) - FIJI (Suva) - PERU (Lima) - BRASIL (???) -
SOUTH AFRICA (???) - EGYPT (Cairo) - UK (Birmingham)

I'm thinking i'll fly to munich, then train to moscow, then fly to delhi,
fly to bejing, fly to hong kong, fly to bangkok, fly to melbourne, fly to
auckland, fly to suva, fly to lima, train to brazil fly to SA, fly to egypt
and then fly back to the UK.

I'm estimating about a 2 year round-trip, working as and when I need/want
to.

Can anyone give me a rough budget and also point me in the right direction
as to where there are savings to be made?

Thanks
David

(Apologies for cross-posting (again!))