Oregon / Wash Road trips - advice on length of time ?

Old July 11th, 2007, 09:26 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
SMS

Default Oregon / Wash Road trip

- Bobb - wrote:
Booked the trip - flying into Portland,OR via Delta. Allowing 2 weeks
for driving loop:
Portland - Seattle- over to the coast - Rt 101 south as far as Eureka ,
CA , then back up via I-5 to Portland.
Then 4 days in Vegas - then home.

Stop at Oregon Caves NM if you have time.

"http://maps.google.com/maps?um=1&tab=wl&hl=en&q=19000%20Caves%20Hwy%2C%20 Cave%20Junction%2C%20OR%2097523"

For the return trip, you're actually better off going N on 101 to 199,
then 199 to I-5, which is faster than any other route to I-5 from
Eureka, but you were probably doing this already. This will take you
close to Oregon Caves.
Old July 12th, 2007, 06:07 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
SMS

- Bobb - wrote:
Booked the trip - flying into Portland,OR via Delta. Allowing 2 weeks
for driving loop:
Portland - Seattle- over to the coast - Rt 101 south as far as Eureka ,
CA , then back up via I-5 to Portland.
Then 4 days in Vegas - then home.

While picking flights/times, the price went up $96 ! I tried to put on
hold ( like AA allows) but couldn't on Delta. By the time I checked
different days/options, and came back , it went from $340 to $436.50 pp.
Someone out there beat me to a cheap seat on one of my flights. Still a
lot cheaper than others, so had to do it. Usually I take America West
redeye home from Vegas, but on 10/8, they want $700+ one way for 11pm
flight from vegas- boston. ( R/T is over $1,000 !) Don't know why -
still lots of seats on it ??? ( Of course, now that I bought it, it'll
go on sale next week on USair !!). My Delta flight (included in the
$436) leaves at11pm and is a non-stop too so worked out fine.

Just checked on rental cars ... - 10% surcharge for airport pickup.
It's will be about $950 for a Mustang at Hertz, so will check into
renting it offsite/ those other rental agencies - in the morning.

Thanks folks.
Bobb

BTW, you might check out "http://www.southernoregon.org/"

They're kind of slow. Two weeks after we got back, we're getting all
sorts of useful literature in the mail.
Old July 12th, 2007, 06:17 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

"SMS" wrote in message
- Bobb - wrote:
Booked the trip - flying into Portland,OR via Delta. Allowing 2 weeks
for driving loop:
Portland - Seattle- over to the coast - Rt 101 south as far as Eureka ,
CA , then back up via I-5 to Portland.
Thanks folks.
Bobb

BTW, you might check out "http://www.southernoregon.org/"

They're kind of slow. Two weeks after we got back, we're getting all
sorts of useful literature in the mail.

That looks great - thanks
( Hey if you live near Boston, I'll take those flyers)

Old July 12th, 2007, 09:42 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Eugene Miya

In article ,
- Bobb - wrote:
I've done SF - down the coast a lot , never northern coast though.

I think the OR coast is more impressive than the CA coast N or S.
But the OR coast is most tourist developed.

I'm going to be flying just S of Crescent City this weekend.
I also need to spend more time in the Eastern part of OR but the middle
area can absorb weeks and weeks depending on the resolution of your road
or air or topo map.
Old July 17th, 2007, 10:45 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Kay Lancaster

Default Oregon / Wash Road trips - advice on length of time ?

Bobb, I found a booklet published by the Oregonian some time back about
public fishing spots in the Portland, Oregon area. Would you be interested
in that information? If so, my email address is in the headers.

Kay

Old September 2nd, 2007, 08:13 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

"SMS" wrote in message
- Bobb - wrote:
Booked the trip - flying into Portland,OR via Delta. Allowing 2 weeks
for driving loop:
Portland - Seattle- over to the coast - Rt 101 south as far as Eureka ,
CA , then back up via I-5 to Portland.
Then 4 days in Vegas - then home.
snipped
Thanks folks.
Bobb

BTW, you might check out "http://www.southernoregon.org/"

They're kind of slow. Two weeks after we got back, we're getting all
sorts of useful literature in the mail.

I did send for their magazine and it's very good. Of course they had a big
list of "hot spots"/scenic drives ( according to their local chambers of
commerce) so I have to prioritize. I'll be heading there in 2 weeks and
itinerary still flexible.
I'm flying into Portland, OR and 2 weeks later flying out of Portland (
avoiding all of the car issues). The primary reason for the trip is that
I'd like to drive from Eureka , CA to northwest tip of US, ( or
vice-versa) all along the coast and then a few national parks/ fall
scenery. Depending upon how the travel goes, I'd like to spend about 4 (?)
days on the coast and few days in the parks , and Seattle and Portland.
I'm not into camping so mostly will just be driving through the
mountains/parks and staying at nearby hotels. Just to get an overview of
the area.

If doing "roughly" these loops:
http://www.us-parks.com/portland_crater_lake.html
http://www.us-parks.com/olympic_saint_helens.html

Does it matter ? should I head out of Portland and go south to Crater Lake
route to CA line then head north - UP the coast - or head from Portland to
nw tip ( via Seattle ?) and then drive from north to south ? ( Different
coastline views while driving ? )

How's the weather in the mountains looking ?
Should I organize one area to do first ( 'before the snow' for example)
Thanks,
Bobb

Old September 5th, 2007, 04:59 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mimi

"- Bobb -" wrote in message
. ..

"SMS" wrote in message
- Bobb - wrote:
[...]

Are you going this year? If so, better go soon. It can snow in the Cascades
in September. Also the weather deteriorates after September.

And you are missing some good places. Like the Columbia Gorge, the San Juan
Islands in Washington. Of course, we must all make choices, but you might
want to give up some time on the Oregon Coast for the Gorge.

Marianne

Old September 5th, 2007, 09:12 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

"Mimi" wrote in message
news

"- Bobb -" wrote in message

old info snipped
[...]

Yes, heading there Sept 19th for 2 weeks: that's why asking for specifics
now. I WAS gonna go there in May but too much snow in mountains, so
thought I'd maybe squeeze in both the coast and the mtns in trip.

I've always wanted to drive the coast so don't want to miss that. ( I've
done east coast and SF down to San Diego, so want to do WA/ OR coastline
to ' see it all' and had it done.)

Should I do mountains first ? Risky ? Maybe get snow? Do I need chains
after certain dates ? etc
I'm open for ideas. Any places to 'not miss' near where those maps are ?
Or pieces of it to skip ( out of season, too cold etc)? I'm not gonna go
rafting/hiking, just driving to get overview and maybe some fishing ( with
a guide/tour)

Bobb

Old September 6th, 2007, 09:47 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Eugene Miya

In article ,
- Bobb - wrote:
"Mimi" wrote in message
news
"- Bobb -" wrote in message
If doing "roughly" these loops:
http://www.us-parks.com/portland_crater_lake.html
http://www.us-parks.com/olympic_saint_helens.html

How's the weather in the mountains looking ?
Should I organize one area to do first ( 'before the snow' for example)

Are you going this year? If so, better go soon. It can snow in the
Cascades in September. Also the weather deteriorates after September.

Yes, heading there Sept 19th for 2 weeks: that's why asking for specifics
now. I WAS gonna go there in May but too much snow in mountains, so
thought I'd maybe squeeze in both the coast and the mtns in trip.

I've always wanted to drive the coast so don't want to miss that. ( I've
done east coast and SF down to San Diego, so want to do WA/ OR coastline
to ' see it all' and had it done.)

I'm flying up the coast this weekend, in just over 24 hrs.

Should I do mountains first ? Risky ?

Does the names James Kim of C|Net mean anything to you?

Maybe get snow? Do I need chains after certain dates ? etc
I'm open for ideas. Any places to 'not miss' near where those maps are ?
Or pieces of it to skip ( out of season, too cold etc)? I'm not gonna go
rafting/hiking, just driving to get overview and maybe some fishing ( with
a guide/tour)

Well Kim got in trouble getting off the main roads in the coastal mtns.
You can likely get away w/o chains during this time of year.
But you never know when you get off major roads.
Chains good. Chains are your friend.
Coastal mtns much lower than Cascades.
Be also mindful of private land.
You have to be prepared for rain and/or 100F temps in land.
Take reasonable maps.
2 weeks isn't long enough, so any reasonable guidebook can make suggestions.

Old September 7th, 2007, 03:34 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mimi

"- Bobb -" wrote in message
. ..

"Mimi" wrote in message
news

"- Bobb -" wrote in message

old info snipped
[...]

Well, snow is only likely in the high mountains, probably nowhere near your
route. Just keep track of the weather forecast if it it's cool and rainy.

You're seeing Mt. Rainier from the east. Fewer facilities on that side. Do
make the detour to Hurricane Ridge in Olympic National Park out of Port
Angeles. It's an easy drive to a good viewpoint -- more views if you hike.
Lake Crescent is a nice place to stay. As is Port Townsend, a cute little
historical town. Also you should go into the rain forest on the west coast
of Olympic National Park since you're right there. I keep thinking of
waterfalls, both in Washington and Oregon, but it is really low water
season, so waterfalls wouldn't show all that well.

Astoria near the mouth of the Columbia River in Oregon is interesting
historically. Glad to hear you're going to Crater Lake; it's a must see.

Don't know much about fishing. There's fly fishing on the Umpqua River that
angles northwest out of Crater Lake Nat'l Park. (Driving into CLNP along the
Umpqua and out along the Mackenzie River is enjoyably scenic; there's a
worthwhile gorge to visit just off the road on the latter leg.) There's
ocean fishing out of various towns on the coast.

Finally, sometime, drive the California coast north of San Francisco. It's
very scenic with pleasantly sleepy little towns -- at least they used to be.

Marianne